PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
It ruin
Could you please elaborate on the harm done to the race? I am new to F-1 and want to learn.
It completely ruins the flow of the race. They’re going to 10mph on cars that can barely turn then a flat out speed trap after the last turn of that chicane. I’ll be stunned if it doesn’t cause a red flag and include a multi vehicle crash.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The chicane challenges the drivers and the cars. It's a good thing in my opinion. Never much cared for a race that "flowed" smoothly with few challenges. I enjoy seeing cars having to be towed in because they can't stand up the rigors and/o mistakes of the drivers. I enjoy seeing the drivers frustrated, they love to think it's all about them, when in theory, it's all about putting butts in seats. Or, in Florida, it'll be all about spotting naked boobs, both kinds.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
The chicane challenges the drivers and the cars. It's a good thing in my opinion. Never much cared for a race that "flowed" smoothly with few challenges. I enjoy seeing cars having to be towed in because they can't stand up the rigors and/o mistakes of the drivers. I enjoy seeing the drivers frustrated, they love to think it's all about them, when in theory, it's all about putting butts in seats. Or, in Florida, it'll be all about spotting naked boobs, both kinds.
I don’t disagree with anything you said regarding the drivers, challenging courses and the cars…except crashes lol. I feel like the chicane I’m taking about was designed for the sake of “we need something to set this course apart” and it was poorly executed.

I predict we will see at least one good wall smack and maybe even…dare I say it…a tire or two west through to failure. It’s hot here in Fl right now, new very rough asphalt. Gonna be good.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I predict we will see at least one good wall smack and maybe even…dare I say it…a tire or two west through to failure. It’s hot here in Fl right now, new very rough asphalt.
Should make for a decent race to enjoy. Tire strategy is now one of the most mundane and important aspects of F1, sadly I feel. Hopefully, this will be a driver's race, won on the track fairly and squarely.

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, you are quite right. I was thinking of new threads that shout out the results, which for this event is unlikely. Alert is off.

So, carry on. Race is over and I don't like the results. But many will.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Watched a race from 1978 recently, just to see how much more exciting it was back in the day. Sadly the race was just a procession. So nothing has really changed.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Watched a race from 1978 recently, just to see how much more exciting it was back in the day. Sadly the race was just a procession. So nothing has really changed.
Bit before my time. Maybe it was a poor track for overtaking? I seem to remember there being more overtakes in the mid to late 1980's but I don't have any data to back this up.
Of course it was much more dangerous to overtake in those days. Today a driver can hit the wall at speed and come out of it without a scratch. The exact same crash in a 70's or 80's car and you could be looking at serious injuries.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
It clearly is not easy to make a one off thing like a race track epic even with a clean slate. Miami was a freak show at the circus. Disney with a whorey South Beach boob job bleached blonde from Jersey.
I thought the cowboy hats and horned car was an embarrassment to all Americans in Austin but Miami was worse. Can’t wait to see what the Liberty crew comes up with for Vegas. Yuck. Race was ok tho.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
It was in the late '60'' that F1 became big business. The cars started to be closely regulated, TV started to determine the "look", manufacturers detested wrecks and, probably more importantly, the independence of drivers. And, that's when the drivers started to morph into TV stars. As James Clarkson observed years ago, I could look up the quote but, I wont. Basically he stated F1 drivers drove for a couple of reasons. p###y and money. Winning insured tons of both. Now it's pretty much the same but, without the guts/drive to drive an F! race, motor to another course and drive an F2, rally or some such, in the same day. Nope, for the generations who missed the hayday, too bad. But, having no memory of the wild days isn't a crime. Be happy with that the corporations provide for your entertainment and ignore the musings of us old guys.

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sorry for being late to the party. This year I will be participating in F1 event in Azerbaijan as a fire marshal. I will post some pictures once I get home.
Awesome!! That's the one race I'd like to attend but travel isn't happening for me for a while.

Please post when you learn the prices for the various level of admission. I read that the paddock @ Miami went for over $13,000!!

Reactions: jvnshr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Looks like the updates have made a difference for Mercedes?. Shame Max had a problem as it would've been good to see what he could've produced on his final qualifying lap.
Hopefully it'll be a good race.