PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
My wife gets mad when I post her information on social media, but she happens to work for a tire company that starts with a P and ends with relli and she is involved in the legal aspects of F1 racing. And she is involved with Indy, and I am friends with Nate King who is involved in that world as well. I can tell you there’s a lot of interesting shit that goes on behind the scenes. It’s a fascinating world, full of drama and money and screwup‘s and victories and failures. I grew up in a racing family and it kind of gets in your blood.

Pazzerpipe

Might Stick Around
Mar 26, 2022
Liverpool, UK
DRS: New enough so that's all I've seen. And I thought it was to enable overtaking, not hinder it!

Races which due to the track limit passing will be phased out or reconfigured, I bet. I hope.
Whatever the track it should all be about driver skill. Put Hamilton's title wins up against the likes of Hill snr, Stewart, Fitipaldi, Prost etc. I know he wouldn't have won so many if he was in their cars.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My wife gets mad when I post her information on social media, but she happens to work for a tire company that starts with a P and ends with relli and she is involved in the legal aspects of F1 racing. And she is involved with Indy, and I am friends with Nate King who is involved in that world as well. I can tell you there’s a lot of interesting shit that goes on behind the scenes. It’s a fascinating world, full of drama and money and screwup‘s and victories and failures. I grew up in a racing family and it kind of gets in your blood.
Nate used to be a transmission guy - is he still with an Indy car team?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Whatever the track it should all be about driver skill. Put Hamilton's title wins up against the likes of Hill snr, Stewart, Fitipaldi, Prost etc. I know he wouldn't have won so many if he was in their cars.

That's a tough one for me. Part of the interest for me in F-1 is the technology, and the ability of the teams to make tweaks within strict bounds to improve performance.

Whatever it takes to make it more into driver skill is good as long as it doesn't impede innovation.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Manual transmission, V10 turbos, no power steering, just guts and skill.
Those were the days! The cars looked so beautiful back then. No ugly 'halo' and they looked so sleek and uncomplicated.
The cigarette branding looked cool, as well. The red & white of Marlboro on the McLarens, the black & gold of JPS on the Lotus and the blue & white of Rothmans on the Williams. Definitely not politically correct but I thought they looked awesome.

Reactions: Pazzerpipe

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Vintage racing is a sport if that is what you want to watch. Events all over the world with every category you remember.
I've been to the SVRA Vintage event at Watkins Glen and Summit Point (WV, near DC) many times, it is truly an opportunity to see some cars running you would never otherwise encounter outside of a museum. One day, I'll make it to Silverstone.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Part of the interest for me in F-1 is the technology, and the ability of the teams to make tweaks within strict bounds to improve performance.
I have an interest also in the technology but, over regulation, my opinion, limits growth. Perhaps that is what the governing body is seeking, Trying to make a sport inherently dangerous safe while entertaining creates conflicts. I'm glad I'm not involved in the decesion making process. But, I always reserve the right to voice disapproval or, approval if warranted. So, todays F1, sadly, is but a shadow of it's initial, dangerous, exciting self.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
It is crazy to think we would have racing still if not for the improvement made in safety. Of the 52 F1 drivers that have died, thirty-two occurred at official World Championship Grand Prix races, while seven occurred during tests and 13 occurred outside of official F1 events. Fifteen drivers died in the 1950s; fourteen in the 1960s; twelve in the 1970s; four in the 1980s and two in the 1990s. No other deaths till Bianchi died in 2015. I think safety is paramount in todays racing. Grosjean walked away from certain death last year if not for the halo.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I think safety is paramount in todays racing.
I agree. But, risk is still an important part of the show. So, is innovation. But, F-1 isn't the Brits in sheds building cars for for guys with certain skills and machismo, competing against nearly unlimited cash car producers anymore. More's the pity. Today's F-1 is technology and regulation with, I'll readily admit, a couple of very skilled drivers racing a handful of skilled but, usually out of their league drivers. Don't get me wrong, the second tier drivers are still doing something the vast majority of us can't really comprehend doing except in our wildest dreams.

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
@warren you are on point, taking out all risk makes drivers do things that are stupid and or unsportsmanlike. Calculated risk when driving in a super-cage of a car is just mindlessly shooting the gap. No clutch pedal, no gear lever, and endless practice of each track on a simulator.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's never all about driver skill. I spoke to Fangio's ghost and it said that he was ever grateful for his team for every aspect except the actual handling......

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's a recent article that's on the last few years of F-1 management. I don't know if there's a paywall here, as I read it via Apple News. The Apple News link definitely doesn't work, but I went to Bloomberg to find the following URL:

Looks problematical, but please post if you can get through to read the article (even if you don't read it!)

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
The link works. Bernie was a money grab and the story how he got the tv rights initially is great. The man is an ass tho and his own greed almost killed it. I am not a maths guy but 56% more of nothing is still a pittance of American viewers based on just clicking on the channel.1 Ticket for the Paddock Club on stb hub for a 2 day pass to Miami is $19,500. Campus general admission is $850.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Watching the Miami race I’ve decided something. Whoever designed that track, and specifically the 14/15 Sh cane should be slapped right in the mouth. The rest of the track is OK but that series returns uphill brings everything to a halt and it’s just stupid.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Watching the Miami race I’ve decided something. Whoever designed that track, and specifically the 14/15 Sh cane should be slapped right in the mouth. The rest of the track is OK but that series returns uphill brings everything to a halt and it’s just stupid.
Could you please elaborate on the harm done to the race? I am new to F-1 and want to learn.