PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
With the season starting this coming weekend, I'd like to start a thread that may from time to time have actual information in it, such as knowledgeable folks describing the differences in design and what they mean for speed.

image.jpg

Found this photo of the new design, which doesn't reveal a lot to this amateur fan. Williams have been struggling, and I wish them the best!

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm always ready for the start of the F1 season - it's always been a long winter, and now, over a month since football has ended (NHL hockey helps me bridge that gap!). Here's an interesting article on the changes to the cars this season, it's always fun to see which teams determine how to make these cars work and win.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm always ready for the start of the F1 season - it's always been a long winter, and now, over a month since football has ended (NHL hockey helps me bridge that gap!). Here's an interesting article on the changes to the cars this season, it's always fun to see which teams determine how to make these cars work and win.
Great article, Al. Just what I needed to start! Repeating the URL with this LINK.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I read the whole article Al Jones posted and I repeated. A good read.

Seems like moving a stream of air a few inches up, down, left or right makes a big difference in how likely the cars will stick to the ground!
During testing some of the teams had trouble with the car becoming unstable because of the ground effect. Getting a handle on that will be vital. Red Bull looked good but pre season testing can be misleading so we'll see.

Reactions: FurCoat and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A couple of driver have already come out and said the production and editing is manipulated and not accurate. Verstappen refuses to participate because of that.
Of course he does. Could it be because he comes off as a smug, smartass cheat in the series?

And every series, every movie, every news cast is edited- manipulated if you will, and the accuracy is in the eye of the beholder. I don't know enough to know if the series introduces any inaccuracies of consequence.

Last edited:

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Of course he does. Could it be because he comes off as a smug, smartass cheat in the series?

And every series, every movie, every news cast is edited- manipulated if you will, and the accuracy is in the eye of the beholder. I don't know enough to know if the series introduces any inaccuracies of consequence.
Yeah I'm not trying to get into a heated argument. All of these drivers come off at some point as you describe. Not sure about your cheat comment...rubbing is racing and it goes all around.

Lando specifically mentions in the new season that the editing was pretty extreme. So much so that it makes it appear as though he and Ricardo are racing next to each other for a spot and it was never the case.

From GP Blog: Norris is particularly referring to a scene set during the Bahrain Grand Prix. "There's a shot of me and Daniel side by side in turn one when we're not even close and I'm claiming he's pushing me off, which is from a completely different race." This was exactly why Verstappen no longer wanted to participate in the series.

Enough of that from me though...don't want to derail. I cant wait for the first race. Will be very happy to be watching it again.

Remember the races are pushed back now to 1100 EST.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm still a fan but, not as much as before they started over regulating the cars and making it less driver v. driver. So, I'll monitor this thread through the season.
I was about to say the very same Warren, far too little driver input these days.

I'll never forget hearing Räikkönen whining to his team over the air that nobody warned him it was raining on a distant part of the track! :rolleyes:

Once the race is started, there should be no radio contact with the pit crew (go back to pit boards) nor the pit crew tampering with the car whilst it's racing.

Also, bring back refuelling.

Just my tuppence worth.

Regards,

Jay.