PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yeah I'm not trying to get into a heated argument. All of these drivers come off at some point as you describe. Not sure about your cheat comment...rubbing is racing and it goes all around.
<< Snipped bits out >>
I planned to go back and edit that comment, so glad you caught it. Cheat doesn't seem like the right word. Excess liberties with rules sometimes? Overly aggressive to the point of endangering other racers?

Also, I am glad the Mercedes/Hamilton lock on top spots has been broken. I guess I am glad for the conflict between the principals and drivers of the two top teams as it adds interest.

Anyway, just a few more days!

Reactions: OldVark

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I was about to say the very same Warren, far too little driver input these days.

I'll never forget hearing Räikkönen whining to his team over the air that nobody warned him it was raining on a distant part of the track! :rolleyes:

Once the race is started, there should be no radio contact with the pit crew (go back to pit boards) nor the pit crew tampering with the car whilst it's racing.

Also, bring back refuelling.

Just my tuppence worth.

Regards,

Jay.
I agree ?.

Reactions: mawnansmiff
Mar 1, 2014
The best thing about F1 is the 30 years from 1980 to 2010.

Starting next year Ferrari is supposed to have a Hypercar in the top class of LeMans again, fingers crossed they like what they see and F1 can play second fiddle for another few decades like it was in the 60's/70's.

Ferrari will be competing most directly against Toyota and Peugeot in the "Hypercar" class, but moreover it was recently announced the new "LMDh" class from the Daytona 24 (also starting 2023) will be homologated with "LMH" and allow all top teams across WEC and IMSA to compete at both LeMans and the the Daytona 24.
For the first time in decades (if ever) we will see Ferrari, Toyota, Porsche, Audi, BMW, and Peugeot all racing head to head (plus potential American entries from Cadillac and Acura).

Reactions: Jimmy_Jack

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There's a week long free trial at the F-1 site. Dan, you can get a taste! But for me, it's a learning curve. The first year I watched just the race, and FF'ed a lot. Second year, Qualifying rounds sometimes.

This year, esp. with the changes, I am watching Practice 1 and everything subsequent. The F-1 site has a ton of information, and since the races have become so technical, it's interesting to me to delve into that realm.

LINK to the trial subscription

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The next eight or ten years could be the last hurrah of internal combustion F-1 racing before they go electric, and this could happen much sooner. Imagine the race with very little noise. Some of the passenger car versions are now being equipped with electronically generated sound to appeal to drivers used to sound, and to allow pedestrians and other drivers to hear them coming. Some sound tracts are recorded from internal combustion cars and others are synthesized from various other sounds including machine sounds and musical instruments.

The whole design concept of automobiles is being remade by EV's, since it changes the wheelbase, motor placement, gas tank versus battery, lack of need for a front grill, etc. etc.

Two great aunts of mine shared an electric car back in the 1920's. Back then, they were mostly used by town dwellers who had access to electric outlets, and were "furnished" inside a little like parlors, with window shades with tassels, and were steered with a tiller.

Everything old is new again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Indy cars are a different breed, of course, and have to be done to those specs. But visiting the museum at the track there in Indianapolis, I was fascinated by some of those cars with the mechanics exposed. It is like the anatomy of a snake, with all of the "organs" elongated and custom made to fit the aerodynamic designs of the car body shells. It's all to the purpose of a high speed, high horsepower racing car, but it is also pure art, gorgeous engineering.

Yeah, I'm a EV skeptic. Limited range, prolonged charging times, lagging charging infrastructure, soundless operation, impersonal digital controls. But I am fascinated with the whole remaking of an industry to meet the times. I don't know if I'll ever use an EV for personal transportation, but I can't completely avert my eyes from the shear weirdness of it. If Elon Musk would step aside, it might seem a slight bit more rational, if not likable.

Designers now have a longer wheel base, a center-mounted motor, a thin but heavy battery, no need for a grill up front, resulting in a "car without a nose." Kids raised on digital devices may well love this stuff, adore it, growing up with it and having been conditioned to think like this. God help us all. And the prices! Oh, never mind.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I looked at a bit of an eRacers meet. Not interested.

No worries about what the future may hold. Focussed only on the very near future!

Mar 1, 2014
There's a week long free trial at the F-1 site. Dan, you can get a taste! But for me, it's a learning curve. The first year I watched just the race, and FF'ed a lot. Second year, Qualifying rounds sometimes.

This year, esp. with the changes, I am watching Practice 1 and everything subsequent. The F-1 site has a ton of information, and since the races have become so technical, it's interesting to me to delve into that realm.

LINK to the trial subscription
I think it was back in 2015 or 2016 I bought a pass to the F1 website, but that was just live track timing and didn't allow people to watch the races.
The web-pass ended up being of no benefit.

If the F1 organization is actually broadcasting races online with no regional restrictions that would be a huge improvement.
In many regions it's impossible to watch every race because the local companies who buy the license won't even show all the races.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think it was back in 2015 or 2016 I bought a pass to the F1 website, but that was just live track timing and didn't allow people to watch the races.
The web-pass ended up being of no benefit.

If the F1 organization is actually broadcasting races online with no regional restrictions that would be a huge improvement.
In many regions it's impossible to watch every race because the local companies who buy the license won't even show all the races.
I don't know their plans for live online, as I like watching it on the telly.
You might as well try the free week trial and see for yourself what's what.

Six-seven years ago is light years in terms of advances in filming, processing and streaming.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, crap, I had to switch to Xfinity when I moved last year, and I see they have a very different offering than DirecTV. I used to be able to set it and forget it for the season, and could watch live or recorded the main events each week.

If someone familiar with how Comcast/Xfinity handles this, I would be obliged.