PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I'm glad to see a Ferrari one two.
Verstappen sounded a bit of a brat over the radio, throwing his toys out of the pram.
I disagree completely. He’s trying to win and being given strategy he disagrees with. Then a fuel pump of all things fails. Hard day for him and Checo. Poor Perez. He’s my favorite driver. I had high hopes and was proud of his driving. Then engine failure!!! Dang.

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
On a side note, I happened to flip over to the Indy race right after the F1. I haven’t seen Indy in probably two decades. Boy, those cars are ugly.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I pay for the F1 TV app. It’s $70 a year and I can see any driver camera at any time. It’s very cool. Not cheap, but worth it.
I am on trial with this. I could not get any driver cam to work, either on my laptop or iPad.
Did you use the individual driver cam this session?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just as a contrast, on a daily newspaper summer internship in Newton County, Missouri, I covered the Saturday night dirt track races at the county track, which was all amateur -- that is not full-time -- drivers. There was prize money. They had stock bodied cars and modified categories, the modified being the most competitive that were basically racing hot rods, no fenders, no hoods.

The modified cars (at least) had some kind of fuel additive (maybe nitro?) that you could smell. There were engine, gear, and safety requirements, but probably not too rigorously observed.

The dirt track was reddish dirt that raised a lot of dust. There was a loud p.a. system that played country music before the races and between heats. The song lyrics that stick in mind were, "We got married in a fever/ hotter than a pepper sprout," Johnny Cash of course. There were women-driver races and demolition derbies.

The newspaper owned a white Dodge pickup truck they allowed me to use for reporting when it wasn't being used for daily distribution. It was six cylinder with three on the floor, white in color.

This was the fundamental car race, with drivers being the lead mechanics as well.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I am on trial with this. I could not get any driver cam to work, either on my laptop or iPad.
Did you use the individual driver cam this session?
I didn’t try this time. I was watching on ESPN. Did you try the replay?

I just tested it. All worked

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I didn’t try this time. I was watching on ESPN. Did you try the replay?

I just tested it. All worked
Ah, thanks, for the iPad I found where the control is. Amazing we can watch so many decent feeds!

The box for individual driver cams on the browser version did not work during the race, and I suspect it maybe just won't. So I switched to the iPad, and looked a little but the race was too engrossing!

This could be the best year in a while!

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Ah, thanks, for the iPad I found where the control is. Amazing we can watch so many decent feeds!

The box for individual driver cams on the browser version did not work during the race, and I suspect it maybe just won't. So I switched to the iPad, and looked a little but the race was too engrossing!

This could be the best year in a while!
Yeah I use my iPad. Amazing device.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Deff will be at Vegas. I am lucky enough to work with many of the current drivers. Really nice group of guys btw.

F1 this year is going to be awesome. I was surprised that Verstappen could not overtake the Ferrari. MV made a mistake passing in the first DRS zone. He should have set up the pass for the second DRS zone. Plus he lost time on his pitt stops, critical.

Really interested hearing what exactly went wrong with the Red Bull suutting down. They said it wasn't power unit related. Unnerving to say the least.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I watched Hamiltons camera as he approached where the Red Bull simply locked up and spun off the track at the end. I couldn't tell whether he even noticed that or not. Strange to my eyes.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Deff will be at Vegas. I am lucky enough to work with many of the current drivers. Really nice group of guys btw.

F1 this year is going to be awesome. I was surprised that Verstappen could not overtake the Ferrari. MV made a mistake passing in the first DRS zone. He should have set up the pass for the second DRS zone. Plus he lost time on his pitt stops, critical.

Really interested hearing what exactly went wrong with the Red Bull suutting down. They said it wasn't power unit related. Unnerving to say the least.
I truly believe they did not run enough fuel, or the fuel pickup was not installed correctly...on both MV and SP cars. It cant be the fuel pump in general, all the teams run the same unit, it is provided. Soooo...too little fuel...or the pump couldn't get to it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I truly believe they did not run enough fuel, or the fuel pickup was not installed correctly...on both MV and SP cars. It cant be the fuel pump in general, all the teams run the same unit, it is provided. Soooo...too little fuel...or the pump couldn't get to it.
That would not have caused a lock up, right? (Verstappen's departure looked like it was fuel related)

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
That would not have caused a lock up, right? (Verstappen's departure looked like it was fuel related)
Man I don’t know. These cars have so much going on. I just couldn’t say.

From google—-Perez explained that his retirement was likely caused by a fuel pump problem. “Basically just at the hairpin on the final lap, it locked completely, the rear,” he explained. “So it just died.”

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Many of us have doubtless run out of gas at some time in our lives, but it was a longish and slow process, engine hitting for a bit, stop, start, etc...

But I am wondering with high compression engines and a normally free flowing fuel line that might the engine stopping feel like a lock up?

Reactions: Jimmy_Jack