PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2018
England
Confirmed: Las Vegas night race 2023
The only problem is that they're going to have to drop an established circuit to make room for the Vegas race.
I read an article that said Monaco was on the chopping block. I can't believe they'd do that. Admittedly, Monaco can be a bit boring as there are so few places to overtake but it's Monaco ffs! Its been on the calendar for nearly 70 years and it's the race that all the drivers want to win the most after their home grand prix.
I can't believe they'd drop Monaco, Silverstone, Monza or Spa. They're talking about racing in South Africa again so unless they up the number of races per season someplace is gonna lose out.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
The only problem is that they're going to have to drop an established circuit to make room for the Vegas race.
I read an article that said Monaco was on the chopping block. I can't believe they'd do that. Admittedly, Monaco can be a bit boring as there are so few places to overtake but it's Monaco ffs! Its been on the calendar for nearly 70 years and it's the race that all the drivers want to win the most after their home grand prix.
I can't believe they'd drop Monaco, Silverstone, Monza or Spa. They're talking about racing in South Africa again so unless they up the number of races per season someplace is gonna lose out.

Russia is out.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The Russians withdrew their participation when they saw Vegas wanted in...Ok, they were banned, and the joke isn't clever.

On a serious note, except for Russia's banishment, a solution might be to limit the number of races in the U.S.- three on our soil seems excessive. They could rotate among them perhaps.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The Russians withdrew their participation when they saw Vegas wanted in...Ok, they were banned, and the joke isn't clever.

On a serious note, except for Russia's banishment, a solution might be to limit the number of races in the U.S.- three on our soil seems excessive. They could rotate among them perhaps.
The new owners of F1 want to grow their market which is totally understandable. As long as they don't drop some of the iconic European races then i'm ok with it.
Monaco shouldn't be on the list for obvious reasons but nor should the British Grand Prix, either. It's already a 350,000 sell out for the race weekend and many of the teams are based in the UK. Monza should be nowhere near a list of races that could be dropped because of Ferrari and the incredible Italian fans. Spa is one of the great race tracks on the F1 calendar so they should leave that be, as well.
To be clear I don't think they'd actually lose any of the races I mentioned but when I read the articles saying Monaco could be dropped it got me thinking.
These days you just never know??‍♂️.

Hopefully a balance can be found between new races in emerging markets while still keeping the incredible history of the old tracks.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Really looking forward to the Italian Grand Prix this weekend. I hope Max can win so we get a great fight for the championship. Another Verstappen DNF and Leclerc could run away with the title and it could all be over by the halfway point of the season.
Not that I wouldn't like to see Charles become Champion. Ferrari are well overdue a drivers/constructors win and it's great to see them back at the front, it's just I want to see a close fight all the way 'till the final race.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Really looking forward to the Italian Grand Prix this weekend. I hope Max can win so we get a great fight for the championship. Another Verstappen DNF and Leclerc could run away with the title and it could all be over by the halfway point of the season.
Not that I wouldn't like to see Charles become Champion. Ferrari are well overdue a drivers/constructors win and it's great to see them back at the front, it's just I want to see a close fight all the way 'till the final race.
Do you not think that Mercedes can make it a 2 or 3 way race?

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
Do you not think that Mercedes can make it a 2 or 3 way race?
If, and it's a big if, if they can sort out the porpoising. They have a very innovative car but it needs updates. The budget cap is holding them back as they can't just throw money at the problem like they used to.
The Ferrari is fast and bullet proof at the moment but things can change pretty quickly. A couple of DNFs for Leclerc and it's back on. I don't see that happening at the moment as he's driving brilliantly and the car has been reliable.
That's the great thing about Forum One, though. If Mercedes bring updates that work the situation can turn around very quickly.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That porpoising must be highly annoying and not just because it reduces speed. I've seen it in other cars; the F-1 website is great for watching in depth, with ability to jump onto the onboard camera of each driver.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021

Yeah Monaco would be a bummer. Pretty crazy, that idea. I thought Mexico was a great time, so hopefully they keep that. I suspect it would be one of the Middle East venues...but there is a lot of money there...so unlikely. South Africa seems strange as a choice. Not sure many folks would want to go. Very
That porpoising must be highly annoying and not just because it reduces speed. I've seen it in other cars; the F-1 website is great for watching in depth, with ability to jump onto the onboard camera of each driver.
i don’t see how they aren’t nauseous and crashing. It’s horrible.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Yeah Monaco would be a bummer. Pretty crazy, that idea. I thought Mexico was a great time, so hopefully they keep that. I suspect it would be one of the Middle East venues...but there is a lot of money there...so unlikely. South Africa seems strange as a choice. Not sure many folks would want to go. Very

i don’t see how they aren’t nauseous and crashing. It’s horrible.
I remember them racing in South Africa in the early 1990's but I can't remember what the races were like or if they were well attended. I'm looking forward to the new race in Las Vegas, that could be really cool. Such an iconic backdrop.
There's talk of a new race in London and i'd love to see that get the go ahead. The owners of F1(Liberty Media Corporation) have said there will be a maximum cap of 24 races so unless they change their stance something has to give. I can definitely see them changing their mind and upping the maximum number if the moneys right.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I hope there's no plan to ditch Silverstone. Looks like F-1 has been looking after $$$ even more now.

A London race would be amazing, but at what expense to another venue? Africa seems like a candidate to be dropped.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Money is being spent to improve the current circuits to work better with the new cars ie Albert Park, Yas Marina, Spa, Barcelona, and Austin. Zandvort was rebuilt with 2022 cars in mind. After ~93 years Monaco seems silly with modern cars. Not sure what other tracks will be tweaked but they are changing curbs (kerbs) as we go.