Does Tea reduce the risks of tabacco pipe smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Soundpostus

Lurker
Jul 21, 2022
Northern California
I think, even though I don’t have much hard proof or clinical trials evidence that
if one takes time in brewing tea and cooling it into an iced tea- 100% organic home made.
instead of buying commercial instant iced tea crystals, which contains added chemicals such as: “Citric Acid , Maltodextrin , Corn Syrup Solids , Instant Tea , Aspartame , Contains Less Than 2% : of : Natural Flavor , Magnesium Oxide , Acesulfame Potassium , Red 40 , Yellow 5 , Blue 1 , BHA ( Preserves Freshness ) Sugar.”
which tea will more likely reduce the risk of kidney stone?

Last edited:

Soundpostus

Lurker
Jul 21, 2022
Northern California
I thought green tea & black tea were the same plant, with green tea being dried right after the leaves are picked, and black tea (& Oolongs) run through rollers to release enzymes which cause the leaves to ferment, and then the leaves are dried to stop the fermentation (Oolong being dried earlier, thus partially fermented).

Reactions: romaso

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The amount of snake oil being sold in the world is staggering. Everything being told to us that will help us live healthier lives is a bunch of crap.
People spend fortunes on vitamins and fish oils and all the other things on the market that claim you will live longer amazes me. People are such lemmings and will believe anything told to them if the marketing is done right.

I will stick to my philosophy which is what my sig tag states.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Genetics will be the most determinant factor in length of life. Risk takers, smokers, motorcyclists, etc. can almost certainly shorten their lives, irrespective of genetic makeup. I will grant there are ways to keep one's genes functioning well, not overdoing the sunshine, a reasonable diet, exercise, etc. Overloading the immune system, damaging the balance as it were, will surely affect one's health in the long run. Smoking, alcohol consumption and such can overload the immune system and, most assuredly, impair one's genetic "armor" to some extant or another.

As most of our mother's may have admonished. "moderation in all things." When I chose to smoke to excess and drink in moderation I did so trusting in my genetic makeup to minimize the damage caused by my wee vices.

Choices made lead to results we have to live and die with. So, a well researched decision, acceptance of the known risks, may allow us to enjoy smoking and etc without any concerns for friends or family. Or, most certainly our own health.

That all being written, I do so enjoy the posts in which the writer opines on the theoretical efficacy of pipe smoking. I'm happy with my wee vices, smoking and a nip of alcohol now and then, and at peace with the known risks. My advice is weigh the risks, make a decision and then live quietly with it and no complaints when/if the downsides arise.

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
Smoking is unequivocally bad for your health and might lead to cancer. We all know this and accept the consequences. This doesn’t mean that smokers will get cancer or non-smokers will not. The risk is higher if you do smoke. Tea is not going to make a difference. If you think that tea will mitigate your chances of having cancer, you are just naïef.

We smoke pipe because we enjoy doing so. Accept it and take it like a man.

Reactions: JOHN72

Soundpostus

Lurker
Jul 21, 2022
Northern California
The weather is real warm this summer.
if I take off my shoes and walk barefoot outdoors..
then it’s too hot, my feet will hurt quickly.
but if I keep my shoes on, I can walk much further and feel more comfortable.
my cup of tea is likely a pair of sneakers, buffers to protect my health.

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
  1. Appeal to ignorance – Thinking a claim is true (or false) because it can’t be proven true (or false).
  2. Ad hominem – Making a personal attack against the person saying the argument, rather than directly addressing the issue.
  3. Strawman fallacy – Misrepresenting or exaggerating another person’s argument to make it easier to attack.
  4. Bandwagon fallacy – Thinking an argument must be true because it’s popular.
  5. Naturalistic fallacy – Believing something is good or beneficial just because it’s natural.
  6. Cherry picking – Only choosing a few examples that support your argument, rather than looking at the full picture.
  7. False dilemma – Thinking there are only two possibilities when there may be other alternatives you haven’t considered.
  8. Begging the question – Making an argument that something is true by repeating the same thing in different words.
  9. Appeal to tradition – Believing something is right just because it’s been done around for a really long time.
  10. Appeal to emotions – Trying to persuade someone by manipulating their emotions – such as fear, anger, or ridicule – rather than making a rational case.
  11. Shifting the burden of proof – Thinking instead of proving your claim is true, the other person has to prove it’s false.
  12. Appeal to authority – Believing just because an authority or “expert” believes something than it must be true.
  13. Red herring – When you change the subject to a topic that’s easier to attack.
  14. Slippery slope – Taking an argument to an exaggerated extreme. “If we let A happen, then Z will happen.”
  15. Correlation proves causation – Believing that just because two things happen at the same time, that one must have caused the other.
  16. Anecdotal evidence – Thinking that just because something applies toyou that it must be true for most people.
  17. Equivocation – Using two different meanings of a word to prove your argument.
  18. Non sequitur – Implying a logical connection between two things that doesn’t exist. “It doesn’t follow…”
  19. Ecological fallacy – Making an assumption about a specific person based on general tendencies within a group they belong to.
  20. Fallacy fallacy – Thinking just because a claim follows a logical fallacy that it must be false.
Just because green tea drinkers are effete, soft, liberal, wealthy urban snobs does not mean green tea does not protect cigarette smokers from lung cancer.

But that’s the way to bet!.:)

(I’ll bet they ate quiche back in the day, before there were garbanzo beans.)
Green tea? How plebian...As a west coast urbanite snob, I only drink loose leaf organic white in the afternoon or an oolong after dim sum.

Soundpostus

Lurker
Jul 21, 2022
Northern California
Monday, August 29, 2022

NIH study of tea drinkers in the UK suggests health benefits for black tea​

What​

A prospective study of half a million tea drinkers in the United Kingdom has shown that higher tea intake was associated with a modestly lowered risk of death. The study, led by researchers at the National Cancer Institute, part of the National Institutes of Health, is a large and comprehensive analysis of the potential mortality benefits of drinking black tea, which is the most common type of tea consumed in the U.K.

Past studies finding a modest association between higher tea intake and lower risk of death have mainly focused on Asian populations, who commonly drink green tea. Studies on black tea have yielded mixed results.

In the new study, the researchers found that people who consumed two or more cups of tea per day had a 9% to 13% lower risk of death from any cause than people who did not drink tea. Higher tea consumption was also associated with a lower risk of death from cardiovascular disease, ischemic heart disease, and stroke. The association was seen regardless of preferred tea temperature, the addition of milk or sugar, and genetic variations affecting the rate at which people metabolize caffeine.

The findings, which appear Aug. 30, 2022, in the Annals of Internal Medicine, suggest that black tea, even at higher levels of intake, can be part of a healthy diet, the researchers wrote.

The study involved 498,043 men and women between ages 40 and 69 who participated in a large cohort study called UK Biobank. The participants were followed for about 11 years, and death information came from a linked database from the UK National Health Service.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I mean, a lot of this is all based on the presumptions (which have never been proved) that free-radicals from just normal existence are wreaking havoc on your body through oxidation and are a primary source of disease, and that anti-oxidants protect you from these free radicals.

I'm not saying it's not good for you, but there's no proof of even the basic concept, let alone anything that follows—it's all presumptions stacked on top of other presumptions:
Antioxidant - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antioxidant#Relation_to_diet
Although certain levels of antioxidant vitamins in the diet are required for good health, there is still considerable debate on whether antioxidant-rich foods or supplements have anti-disease activity. Moreover, if they are actually beneficial, it is unknown which antioxidants are health-promoting in the diet and in what amounts beyond typical dietary intake.[9][10][11] Some authors dispute the hypothesis that antioxidant vitamins could prevent chronic diseases,[9][12] and some declare that the hypothesis is unproven and misguided.[13] Polyphenols, which have antioxidant properties in vitro, have unknown antioxidant activity in vivo due to extensive metabolism following digestion and little clinical evidence of efficacy.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Humans have become so obsessed with cheating death, neurotically evaluating every potential future danger. How much life, lived this way, is wasted reading medical studies that are conjecture, or torturing yourself with the latest wave of health fads. Avoiding dangerous life. You end up possibly prolonging your life just long enough to offset the extra time you spent figuring out new ways to prolong your life.. 🤔 And who knows, all that effort spent and tomorrow you could get hit by lightning.
We need a freakin' coronal mass ejection to take us all back to zero so we can remember what we are.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Humans have become so obsessed with cheating death, neurotically evaluating every potential future danger. How much life, lived this way, is wasted reading medical studies that are conjecture, or torturing yourself with the latest wave of health fads. Avoiding dangerous life. You end up possibly prolonging your life just long enough to offset the extra time you spent figuring out new ways to prolong your life.. 🤔 And who knows, all that effort spent and tomorrow you could get hit by lightning.
We need a freakin' coronal mass ejection to take us all back to zero so we can remember what we are.
There's a hilarious "Pearls Before Swine" strip about this, though I don't think Pastis is the first to have made a joke along these lines, I swear I've heard it elsewhere before, can't seem to find it but basically someone (probably Goat) mentions to Rat that his lifestyle choices are shaving years off his life and he asks in response: "is that the years where you're in diapers in a nursing home and nobody comes to visit you? I'm fine with that" or something.

Though I may be thinking of this one (but I know I've heard/seen the above paraphrased quote version somewhere):
DqCelwPV4AIU-Xy (1).jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Monday, August 29, 2022

NIH study of tea drinkers in the UK suggests health benefits for black tea​

What​

A prospective study of half a million tea drinkers in the United Kingdom has shown that higher tea intake was associated with a modestly lowered risk of death. The study, led by researchers at the National Cancer Institute, part of the National Institutes of Health, is a large and comprehensive analysis of the potential mortality benefits of drinking black tea, which is the most common type of tea consumed in the U.K.

Past studies finding a modest association between higher tea intake and lower risk of death have mainly focused on Asian populations, who commonly drink green tea. Studies on black tea have yielded mixed results.

In the new study, the researchers found that people who consumed two or more cups of tea per day had a 9% to 13% lower risk of death from any cause than people who did not drink tea. Higher tea consumption was also associated with a lower risk of death from cardiovascular disease, ischemic heart disease, and stroke. The association was seen regardless of preferred tea temperature, the addition of milk or sugar, and genetic variations affecting the rate at which people metabolize caffeine.

The findings, which appear Aug. 30, 2022, in the Annals of Internal Medicine, suggest that black tea, even at higher levels of intake, can be part of a healthy diet, the researchers wrote.

The study involved 498,043 men and women between ages 40 and 69 who participated in a large cohort study called UK Biobank. The participants were followed for about 11 years, and death information came from a linked database from the UK National Health Service.

But they are Brits. They will drink their tea even if it's not good for them.

• Haha
Reactions: marconi