Does Tea reduce the risks of tabacco pipe smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I would rather cough my lungs up than have to drink green tea. If I wanted to be healthy I wouldn't smoke a pipe all day and night.
I really wish that tea was not just broken down broadly into green vs black vs oolong. Tea is so much like pipe tobacco in that different teas in one category can have such a range of flavors. Taking green tea as an example, the flavors of green tea can range from vegetal and hay like to floral to nutty and buttery too sweet.

Having said that, I understand your sentiment. So types of teas just do not work for any given person.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Update: I just did a 30 minute internet search regarding the benefits of green tea on two tea forums (yes they do exist ! Apparently people are into tea like we are into tobaccos). And a quick search of benefits of green tea: (So I may now be a modern expert :rolleyes:)
Yes, the tea world is just like the pipe world. There are a lot of people in the tea world who take the drinking of tea to the level of being a hobby. They search out limited releases, review them, watch youtube videos about them, age them and even argue with each other about which types of tea are best and how best to consume tea. s

On this forum I have heard it said smoke what you like and in the tea world it is said, drink what you like.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I really wish that tea was not just broken down broadly into green vs black vs oolong. Tea is so much like pipe tobacco in that different teas in one category can have such a range of flavors. Taking green tea as an example, the flavors of green tea can range from vegetal and hay like to floral to nutty and buttery too sweet.

Having said that, I understand your sentiment. So types of teas just do not work for any given person.
and that people knew how to prepare them. The greener and also finer cut generally equals less steep time and lower temps. I love Japanesse greens teas that are cut into strips basically but almost never drink them because the less then two minutes steep time is really easy for me to mess up (I know lame).
On the original subject tea is pretty healthy stuff. And really worth drinking at least sometimes. I am too addicted to caffeine to not also drink coffee. And anyone notice this wacky all or nothing outlook people have on health and health issues. Like there are two options don't care or live on an exercise bike while eating tofu and never risking any fun ever.
Side note last physical I had to have the doctors reaction to my pipe smoking was that it getting me out and walking about seemed to be doing more good then not.

Soundpostus

Lurker
Jul 21, 2022
Northern California
“Some people will tell you there is a great deal of poetry and fine sentiment
in a chest of tea.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

“If you are cold, tea and tabacco will warm you,
if you are too heated, they will cool you,
If you are depressed, they will cheer you,
If you are excited, they will calm you.”
– William Ewart Gladstone, revised

Have Many Adventures begin with Tea and Tabacco?

4. The Boston Tea Party (December 1773)​

The British eventually withdrew their forces from Boston and repealed much of the onerous Townshend legislation.
But they left in place the tax on tea, and in 1773 enacted a new law, the Tea Act,
to prop up the financially struggling British East India Company.
The act gave the company extended favorable treatment under tax regulations
so that it could sell tea at a price that undercut the American merchants who imported from Dutch traders.

That didn’t sit well with Americans. “They didn’t want the British telling them that they had to buy their tea, but it wasn’t just about that,” Randall explains.
“The Americans wanted to be able to trade with any country they wanted.”

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
“Some people will tell you there is a great deal of poetry and fine sentiment
in a chest of tea.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

“If you are cold, tea and tabacco will warm you,
if you are too heated, they will cool you,
If you are depressed, they will cheer you,
If you are excited, they will calm you.”
– William Ewart Gladstone, revised

Have Many Adventures begin with Tea and Tabacco?

4. The Boston Tea Party (December 1773)​

The British eventually withdrew their forces from Boston and repealed much of the onerous Townshend legislation.
But they left in place the tax on tea, and in 1773 enacted a new law, the Tea Act,
to prop up the financially struggling British East India Company.
The act gave the company extended favorable treatment under tax regulations
so that it could sell tea at a price that undercut the American merchants who imported from Dutch traders.

That didn’t sit well with Americans. “They didn’t want the British telling them that they had to buy their tea, but it wasn’t just about that,” Randall explains.
“The Americans wanted to be able to trade with any country they wanted.”

I read an interesting article that said that many British politicians in Colonial times were heavily invested in the East India Company, and that was part of the reason the British both favored the company and the response to the Boston Tea Party was so strong. And that if this hadn't been so, that the British policy and response may have been much milder and the US might still be British!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I read an interesting article that said that many British politicians in Colonial times were heavily invested in the East India Company, and that was part of the reason the British both favored the company and the response to the Boston Tea Party was so strong. And that if this hadn't been so, that the British policy and response may have been much milder and the US might still be British!
So ... not much has changed then ... :rolleyes:;):(

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I was thinking the same.
Further proof: The shot heard round the world (first shot in revolution) was in response to the Massachusettes governor backed by British Troops telling the disbursing colonist (protesting) farmers on Lexington Green to stop and leave their guns before disbursing. Obviously that didn't go well and still doesn't. ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Science is built one study at a time over years. Some of these are lab studies with cells in petri dishes, or in rodents, or using human health data accumulated over some years. The scores (or more) of studies will be evaluated as a collective literature to discern some conclusions, and further studies will be done to test those conclusions. Anywhere along this continuum, public health decisions or medical decisions can be made using what has been done so far. But to look at the conclusions of any one study, or any dozen studies, doesn't necessarily decide a question. Even conclusions on settled questions can be reversed if new studies prove contradictory.

That's why the public always feels that either their opinions should be proven by science, which they often aren't, or that science has no factual basis, which is just a misunderstanding of the process.

I'd say, if green tea has some efficacy, which is not established, it may be effective in people who smoke a bowl or two a day or a week, and not so much in people who smoke all day, every day.

I love tea, but tea is thought to promote kidney stones, so i don't drink it. As mentioned, the evidence on this is not conclusive.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Science is built one study at a time over years. Some of these are lab studies with cells in petri dishes, or in rodents, or using human health data accumulated over some years. The scores (or more) of studies will be evaluated as a collective literature to discern some conclusions, and further studies will be done to test those conclusions. Anywhere along this continuum, public health decisions or medical decisions can be made using what has been done so far. But to look at the conclusions of any one study, or any dozen studies, doesn't necessarily decide a question. Even conclusions on settled questions can be reversed if new studies prove contradictory.

That's why the public always feels that either their opinions should be proven by science, which they often aren't, or that science has no factual basis, which is just a misunderstanding of the process.

I'd say, if green tea has some efficacy, which is not established, it may be effective in people who smoke a bowl or two a day or a week, and not so much in people who smoke all day, every day.

I love tea, but tea is thought to promote kidney stones, so i don't drink it. As mentioned, the evidence on this is not conclusive.
Per several nurses and doctors: Tea leaves cause kidney stones not the liquid ...avoid ice teas with tea leaves in them and use tea bags or filter your tea. Avoid snapple it has leaves in it.

Soundpostus

Lurker
Jul 21, 2022
Northern California

Last edited:

Soundpostus

Lurker
Jul 21, 2022
Northern California

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
I watched a show once where they interviewed farmers in the area of China where the very best tea is grown. They asked the farmers what they thought about people thinking their tea was the best. The farmers were confused. "Why would outside people think our tea is the best? We don’t sell our best tea, we drink it ourselves. The teas which we sell to outsiders is not the good tea."

I suppose a similar situation would not be possible with tobacco…

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I skimmed all your links ... wow ... seems a bit up in the air as far as results go ... Looks like they don't really know. Its bad, Its good, Its inconclusive, etc ... My statement was based on a few friends who were all locally told in hospital t avoid the tea with tea leaves in future ... I personally drink very diluted ice tea --- twice the water recommended at least. My hot tea is twice as strong though ...everybody is different ... go with what works best for you. I like the report that said moderation is the key in all things !! 👍

Reactions: Soundpostus