Does Tea reduce the risks of tabacco pipe smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Soundpostus

Lurker
Jul 21, 2022
Northern California

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I don't see how tea would reduce the risk of pipe smoking. Pipe smokers are probably not at a very high risk of lung cancer (especially if one does not smoke inside). And tea being protective against lung cancer does not mean that it will protect against the plethora of other types of cancer that pipes can produce, like mouth and stomach cancer. I do not imagine that a bit of tea would hurt though.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
From the second study: "'The antioxidants may inhibit tumor growth," I-Hsin Lin, a master's degree student at Chung Shan Medical University in Taiwan, tells WebMD."

1.) The study studied two groups of cigarrette smokers.

2.) Green tea has antioxidents which are good for you for many purposes not just anti-cancer.

Query: If anti-oxidents are the key how does one reconcile that Lipton (Orange pekoe and black tea) and English/Irish black teas have more anti-oxidents per cup than green tea. I believe I read that milk or cream reduces the effectiveness of the anti-oxidents also. But, all the same, why green tea ? Why not black tea ?

I genuinely would love to know as in addition to my pot of coffee in the morning, since childhood, in the summer I drink about a liter of ice tea a day, and in winter two or more cups of black tea a day (albeit with milk); I also generlly use a 12 to 14 oz mug rather than a 6oz tea cup which amounts to a sip and half for me !

In my family "Have a cup of tea you will feel better" is a common phrase.???

If anyone knows the medical benefit difference between green tea and black teas I would love to know.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I don’t see why it can’t help. Tea has antioxidants. Polyphenols and flavanoids which are supposedly cancer fighting compounds. Coffee has antioxidants too - perhaps different ones. I actually think coffee is better for lung health. I inhale a fair amount of smoke most days. Coffee is a known expectorant and it really helps me spit a proper loogy- which is essentially the tars of my smoke surrounded by mucus for the purpose of ridding it out of my lungs. I can run 15 miles with no issue, bike 6 hours at a time etc, so I really think this helps. I insist on good organic single-origin beans ground fresh each morning. But I like to add a cup or two of tea to my regimen as well some days.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
A healthy lifestyle overall may offset risks, but in the end everyone is different. Some live unhealthy lifestyles and outlive those who live healthy lifestyles. Drinking tea seems like a negligible offset in the grander scope of risks concerning pipe smoking. I’m no MD though, so what do I know. I concur with Chasing Embers.
Allright, maybe I am the one derailing the OP's original intent ... I was just curious about the alleged difference in teas ... sorry. I will have to find the Tea Magazine Forums and ask there. I am as addicted to tea and coffee as tobacco so maybe that's my subconscious interest.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Given the consistency of modern science, I think maybe just enjoying your life seems like the best option. Chances are 10 years from now some study will be done with massive confirmation bias on the part of a group of tea haters and funded by the coffee industry, which will emphatically state that drinking tea causes all sorts of health problems, and destroys rare grasshopper habitat.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Allright, maybe I am the one derailing the OP's original intent ... I was just curious about the alleged difference in teas ... sorry. I will have to find the Tea Magazine Forums and ask there. I am as addicted to tea and coffee as tobacco so maybe that's my subconscious interest.
Nothing wrong with enjoying finely-cultivated, mind-stimulating agricultural products to supplement thy mind body and spirit with…I am also not convinced that because something is enjoyable enough that you doing it daily constitutes an addiction. At least for me. Many types of people and many types of body chemistry so we must all find our own way.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Years ago researchers found a link between coffee and lung cancer, until they studied non smoking coffee drinkers.

Only well educated, well to do and soft and privileged people drink green tea.

I’ll bet eating tofu is protective against lung cancer, too.:)

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Update: I just did a 30 minute internet search regarding the benefits of green tea on two tea forums (yes they do exist ! Apparently people are into tea like we are into tobaccos). And a quick search of benefits of green tea: (So I may now be a modern expert :rolleyes:)

Here is the summarized answer to my queries:

Apparently green tea is its own specific plant (not young black tea) and it has been used as a medicine since the 17th century in China and Japan. There is no scientific evidence of its benefits but it has been shown to be beneficial as a diuretic (everybody benefits from a good clean out !) , and to alleviate (not cure) Breast cancer, prostate cancer and colorectal cancer, digestive problems. So apparently they want to see if it is beneficial to lung cancers as well. Since it is also used in Asia to treat arthritis I suspect it has anti-inflammatory properties hence shrinking tumors. It also contains significant caffeine for inprovement of brain functioning and alertness though not as much as coffee as well as anti-oxidants and polyphenols and vitamins similar to leafy green vegetables.

So no downside to drinking green tea and sufficient healthful benefits that every cup can only help not hurt. That's what my extensive thirty minute research found out and I'm sticking with it.

All the best to everyone ... enjoy a cup of tea. ?‍⚕️??:ROFLMAO: