PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I don't think I've ever really paid it much attention but noticed it now as I'm sitting here enjoying my stanwell it's got some beautiful vertical graining going on. Can't say that makes it Superior or smoke better as I have other pipes I normally grab before reaching for this one.
IMG_20211012_200126126.jpgIMG_20211012_200135196.jpgIMG_20211012_200149511.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've heard people say it does, and others say it doesn't. What is your experience?
Other than aesthetics, it does nothing. A clear, unobstructed airway affects the pipe more than its shaping or grain. I love crosscut, sandblasted straight grains but that's just because I like how they look and feel.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Some is marketing. However, one's eye doesn't lie. I have found myself, even as a young man who knew NOTHING about pipes, being drawn to straight grain. It just seemed... shall I dare say... richer.

But, it is my hope that many will read this, take umbrage with it, shoot down my predilection for straight grain, and tell me how it doesn't matter a shits difference.

And why respond so vehemently, so forcefully?

Because it feels so damned good to set someone straight when you are behind the keyboard.

Mar 1, 2014
Does vertical grain make for a better smoke, or is it all about the age/quality of the briar?

I've heard people say it does, and others say it doesn't. What is your experience?

I tend to believe it does matter, but that is based more on my experience with other wood. For example, when I apply mineral oil to my wooden cutting board it soaks up WAY more oil on the end grain than it does on the cutting surface (face grain).
Wood is about 2x more thermally conductive in the orientation of the grain, striaght grain will be more insulating than birdseye, but then you want to make sure a straight grain pipe has a thick heel.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Wood is about 2x more thermally conductive in the orientation of the grain, striaght grain will be more insulating than birdseye, but then you want to make sure a straight grain pipe has a thick heel.

Why doesn’t this explain how, a true straight grain is a better smoker?

We all know it’s not a huge advantage, but twice the thermal conductivity is an advantage.

One other potential advantage is that briar does have a flavor, and that flavor comes from oils in the root. The darker parts should have more oils.

Whiskey does circulate in a charred white oak barrel. It goes in clear, and comes out amber.

Does a pipe with a blackened chamber wall, somehow circulate flavor from the walls to the tobacco if the walls are the end grain?

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Some is marketing. However, one's eye doesn't lie. I have found myself, even as a young man who knew NOTHING about pipes, being drawn to straight grain. It just seemed... shall I dare say... richer.

But, it is my hope that many will read this, take umbrage with it, shoot down my predilection for straight grain, and tell me how it doesn't matter a shits difference.

And why respond so vehemently, so forcefully?

Because it feels so damned good to set someone straight when you are behind the keyboard.
where as I have always found it the blandest of grains.

Reactions: Briar Lee

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
In my experience, grain orientation doesn't play a role in the performance of a pipe. However, some straight grain pipes look very beautiful and we all can convince ourselves, if persistent enough, that aesthetic attraction equals higher quality.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Just finding finding a pipe with clean wood is rare but finding a clean pipe with truly straight grain is amazingly rare and expensive. Over the years I'm amazed at what guys post as straight grain. I've owned probably over 600 pipes and I've had only two or three that were a true symmetrical 360 straight grain that was not a Dublin.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Just finding finding a pipe with clean wood is rare but finding a clean pipe with truly straight grain is amazingly rare and expensive. Over the years I'm amazed at what guys post as straight grain. I've owned probably over 600 pipes and I've had only two or three that were a true symmetrical 360 straight grain that was not a Dublin.
I keep telling my wife a couple or three hundred pipes really isn’t excessive, and here’s a man with a good start on having enough pipes.:)

May I ask, in all seriousness, what is clean wood?

I’ve always thought most unstained, natural briar doesn’t show much grain.

Are there some kind of dirt, or impurities that cause that?

I learn something new here, every day.