PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
In a 1986 study at the Briar Research Institute of Columbus Ohio, researchers did an extensive study on the smoking characteristics of different grain formations. Dr. Emil Rauchtviel led the project with the esteemed Dr. Otto Grosballon assisting. They discovered that while straight vertical grain is the most visually appealing to many, the vertical graining actually helps to hold heat in, much the same way the prison bars hold in an inmate. They discovered that birdeye graining acts like cooling ducts and on average smoke 20% cooler than mixed grain pipes and 30% cooler than straight grain pipes. In a separate study on the psychological effects of the purchasing habits of pipe collectors discovered that when charted on an XY graph, X equalling the more a collector values straight grain and Y equalling the rising price they have paid for a piece has a direct correlation to their misguided belief that it smokes better, resulting in their "extraxerunt asinum suum" generated statics on smoking qualities.

Last edited:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I’ve always thought most unstained, natural briar doesn’t show much grain.
Like someone mentioned earlier briar absorbs in different ways. Carvers will accentuate the grain with a dark stain, burn and buff it and go over the pipe with other coats of lighter stain to show off the grain. It's easier to hide little briar fixes with the darker two tone stains than the lighter two tone stains.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
for instance I find birds eye very mesmerizing and playful to gaze at.

I read where straight grain briar is rarest, but I can’t remember seeing a full bird’s eye pipe, where it’s all bird’s eye.

I own a gorgeous four hole stinger Kaywoodie Canadian with at least half bird’s eye on the lower bowl portion, a stunning pipe.

But come to think of it, the bird’s eye portion does tend sweat more, than the flame grain on the top part.

There are differences in the thermal conductivity of briar due to grain structure.

How bird’s eye conducts heat, is different.

It’s truly marvelous to to look at.

Reactions: anotherbob

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
No Pits, No Fills, No Briar "Stabilization" or whatever they call the tricks with Glue and Saw Dust.

Then in all seriousness, you’d appreciate Pipes by Lee.

During the late 1930’s KB&B managed to source the best briar that will likely ever be found again. I’ve read where they got huge roots the size of coffee tables, and used x-ray machines to utilize it. Some of that might be marketing, but the pipes speak for themselves

Get a pre war Super Grain and it has, flawlessly clean super grain. In 1937 Kaywoodie came out with a Flame Grain almost gaudy how figured it was. All were flawless.

I’ll bet I own 60 or 70 Lees.

Not a one is as flashy or well grained as a pre war Kaywoodie Super or Flame grade. But Lee didn’t sell pipes branded Lee with any fills, or overly stained, and they all are fully grained, no bald spots, and none are buffed out to a mirror shine, either.

By the time Kaywoodie went to a three hole stinger the briar quality is hit or miss, and the pipes get stained more.

Lee raised prices and maybe his briar quality improved with the second five star series.

One thing that leads modern pipe makers to use tricks to clean up briars, is the larger sizes we favor today.

Ot has to be more difficult to find a larger piece of clean, perfect briar, than to find smaller pieces, I’d think.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I read where straight grain briar is rarest, but I can’t remember seeing a full bird’s eye pipe, where it’s all bird’s eye.

I own a gorgeous four hole stinger Kaywoodie Canadian with at least half bird’s eye on the lower bowl portion, a stunning pipe.

But come to think of it, the bird’s eye portion does tend sweat more, than the flame grain on the top part.

There are differences in the thermal conductivity of briar due to grain structure.

How bird’s eye conducts heat, is different.

It’s truly marvelous to to look at.
yeah I hear it's the rarest too. Which means if you want it badly they can charge more for it because where else are you going to get it? I've never noticed any difference with grain but I never really paid attention to the grain while smoking. I might do that since most of my pipes have a variety of grain types all on one pipe. Though no straight grains.

Reactions: Briar Lee

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here you go!
Qdq441c.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

I am attracted to pipes showing lovely, uniform straight grain, swathes of birdseye or a deep sandblast. It's their looks rather than perceived smokebility that draws me in.

I am not aware that one smokes hotter or cooler than the other. I'm inclined to say that the tobacco blend and cut, the packing and my smoking cadence that has far more influence than the grain.

But to say that birdseye sweats more than flame grain - well, I've never seen any of my pipes sweat, even on days of 100% humidity and loaded with tobacco that has not been properly dried.

Mar 1, 2014
In a 1986 study at the Briar Research Institute of Columbus Ohio, researchers did an extensive study on the smoking characteristics of different grain formations. Dr. Emil Rauchtviel led the project with the esteemed Dr. Otto Grosballon assisting. They discovered that while straight vertical grain is the most visually appealing to many, the vertical graining actually helps to hold heat in, much the same way the prison bars hold in an inmate. They discovered that birdeye graining acts like cooling ducts and on average smoke 20% cooler than mixed grain pipes and 30% cooler than straight grain pipes. In a separate study on the psychological effects of the purchasing habits of pipe collectors discovered that when charted on an XY graph, X equalling the more a collector values straight grain and Y equalling the rising price they have paid for a piece has a direct correlation to their misguided belief that it smokes better, resulting in their "extraxerunt asinum suum" generated statics on smoking qualities.

If the studies are correct that means I would want to avoid cross grain because cooling down the ember only forces me to do that much more work to keep the pipe lit.
Straight grain will require you to puff less often.
The only people who would want cross grain are the people who want to puff more often for the same average temperature.
Regardless, cross grain will always feel twice as hot in your hand and that perception is probably the entire point.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Some is marketing. However, one's eye doesn't lie. I have found myself, even as a young man who knew NOTHING about pipes, being drawn to straight grain. It just seemed... shall I dare say... richer.

But, it is my hope that many will read this, take umbrage with it, shoot down my predilection for straight grain, and tell me how it doesn't matter a shits difference.

And why respond so vehemently, so forcefully?

Because it feels so damned good to set someone straight when you are behind the keyboard.
I have always said there are three places that make all men brave: On the phone, in their car and on the internet. Face to face, men are normally much more tactful.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have always said there are three places that make all men brave: On the phone, in their car and on the internet. Face to face, men are normally much more tactful.
I do agree. When men or even women start up their bravado and begin knocking others in a manner that shows that either they are assholes or plainly sociopathica inclined, the conversations deteriorate and you are left with a mess.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I do agree. When men or even women start up their bravado and begin knocking others in a manner that shows that either they are assholes or plainly sociopathica inclined, the conversations deteriorate and you are left with a mess.
I tend to incline that this is true: “And if you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.” ~ Dr. Jordan Peterson

It makes no good sense to argue with someone (or berate and attempt to insult them) over insignificant matters. Simply state your point of view (if necessary) and move on. A tough (strong) man wouldn’t need to tear someone down in order to build himself up, now would he?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If I had my choice of grains I would always go for Birds Eye first as there is something about it that just catches my eye. Years ago I got a Castello Collection Occhio Di Pernice Dublin that had nice Birds Eye on both sides. The pipe smoked fine but the stem sucked so I rarely smoked it. I ended up selling it recently and don't miss it. I will take a well made stem from German Ebonite over killer grain all day, every day.