SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 1, 2014
I was wondering about this myself - the properly drilled pipe.

No insult intended, but.... isn't this something that most manufacturers should be doing routinely?

It's like saying, "I prefer a Lamborghini because I like properly tuned cars."

What? Chevy doesn't?

Yes and no.

The difference between a racing engine and the engine in your car is a lot of tuning, for example the Ford F150 and 2017 Ford GT share the same block, but the GT gets twice as much power.

Except where this analogy falls apart is a Missouri Meerschaum 80 cent plastic stem does hit 99% of the performance you'd get from a finely tuned handcrafted stem, the only compromise is being made of a softer material.
Most factory Briars do start with an injection molded stem that could be crafted with similar design to a Missouri Meerschaum, but I assume they specifically choose not to make the draft more open just for the sake of durability, so there again the car analogy is applicable, any car on the road today could be tuned for twice as much power, but durability becomes a much greater concern.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I am under the impression that the straight grain is from the very center of pretty old briar root, and more valuable because of its “rarity”. Is this the case? It doesn’t affect smoking quality, but value yes. Right?
No. At the center of a burl you may get flame Grain, as it's all flaring out there. To get straight you need as far from the center as possible, so that those outward stretching lines will start to look parallel. Plateau pieces from the outside of the burl are more likely to present straight grain, but still not guaranteed. And age has nothing to do with Grain orientation. The age of the burl can determine its size, and thus increase likelihood of some straight Grain cuts, but good cutters pick large burls today. It's a bit convoluted to explain, but suffice it to say that a fair amount of these beliefs stem from good marketing and traditional myths handed down, and less from reality.

Not so much funny, as sad ?
Crying Old Man GIFs | Tenor

Crying Old Man Parker GIF - Crying Old Man Parker A Christmas Story -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Could you please list the companies who use factory injected stems, please?
It's actually easier to list companies that cut stems, because they are much rarer. Dunhill, Castello, Ascorti, some Petersons, the occassional Chacom. Amorelli and Ardor cut stems.... (I think a lot of the midgrade Italian pipes use pre-cast blanks, I can't name each individual company).

But absolutely nobody cuts stems as well as top-tier artisans, judging the stems inside or out, the true handmade stems are miles better for slotting, thinness, general comfort.....

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
No. At the center of a burl you may get flame Grain, as it's all flaring out there. To get straight you need as far from the center as possible, so that those outward stretching lines will start to look parallel. Plateau pieces from the outside of the burl are more likely to present straight grain, but still not guaranteed. And age has nothing to do with Grain orientation. The age of the burl can determine its size, and thus increase likelihood of some straight Grain cuts, but good cutters pick large burls today. It's a bit convoluted to explain, but suffice it to say that a fair amount of these beliefs stem from good marketing and traditional myths handed down, and less from reality.
Unpacking 100 years of marketing BS is proving almost imossible. The things pipe smokers "just know" to be true never cease to amaze me.

It's actually easier to list companies that cut stems, because they are much rarer. Dunhill, Castello, Ascorti, some Petersons, the occassional Chacom. Amorelli and Ardor cut stems.... (I think a lot of the midgrade Italian pipes use pre-cast blanks, I can't name each individual company).

But absolutely nobody cuts stems as well as top-tier artisans, judging the stems inside or out, the true handmade stems are miles better for slotting, thinness, general comfort.....
I knew Mark Tinsky had been using injection cast stems, but I had no idea that it was as widespread. I've asked Mark why if injection molded, why not make a better button and slot, but I can't recall his response, most likely a dodge, ha ha.
I can see this being the reason so many Italian pipemakers turned to acrylic. But, is it safe to assume that all vulcanite stems are hand made?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
No, in fact in French factories pre-made stems are literally called "vulcanites", simply a pre-exisiting piece to be fitted to whatever stummel is being finished that day.

In the case of Tinsky, he has a business model that works, has worked for a long time, and allows him to do some fishing on Fridays at this point. He doesn't pretend to make high-grade pipes, he's quite honest about the product (and prices things very fairly). But this is probably a different conversation (what's a high-grade pipe, what's a well-made pipe, etc). Mark knows EVERYthing about making pipes, and chooses to go about it a certain way.

Bunch of stem-cutting machinery in this video, it's pretty neat:

We are way out of topic range (forgive us Mods) but this really good stuff.

Given that most pipe companies are making prefab stems, why is it that most aren't offering stem replacements?
I know that Erik Nording offers replacement stems on his Valhalla (or Numbers) line of pipes, because he told me so, but not his others. He told me that all other stems are handmade to the stummel (which some of his freeforms it's obvious that any old stem could be stuck in there). But, of course this wording leaves room for them to have been prefabbed, and then fitted... but, overall if pipe companies offered replacement stems, it would really help those of us collecting.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Depends on what you're replacing but I know that Dunhill, Peterson, and Savinelli do.
and The White Spot A Dunhill is most difficult to work with yet very pricey if you are lucky enough to get them replacement stem fitted at their factory in England,and if they do replacement stems then it'll be only the shapes that are still produced(current model line)

Mar 1, 2014
We are way out of topic range (forgive us Mods) but this really good stuff.

Given that most pipe companies are making prefab stems, why is it that most aren't offering stem replacements?
I know that Erik Nording offers replacement stems on his Valhalla (or Numbers) line of pipes, because he told me so, but not his others. He told me that all other stems are handmade to the stummel (which some of his freeforms it's obvious that any old stem could be stuck in there). But, of course this wording leaves room for them to have been prefabbed, and then fitted... but, overall if pipe companies offered replacement stems, it would really help those of us collecting.
Using a molded stem just saves rough shaping, the tenon is still cut to fit the same as a block carved stem.
Where you definitely should be able to get stem replacements is anywhere you see a glued in tenon insert.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Using a molded stem just saves rough shaping, the tenon is still cut to fit the same as a block carved stem.
Where you definitely should be able to get stem replacements is anywhere you see a glued in tenon insert.
Having worked with casting, I can see acrylic being cast, except those with swirls in them, because the pressure or vacuum needed would blend the colors into a homogeneous color.
And, I use rubber all the time, and even when used from a liquid, the vulcanizing process would distort a stem…. I would think. Rubber can’t be vulcanized before casting, because of the nature of the process.

This is why I thought the nylon stems were the only ones cast…. and now the black acrylic ones.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
Straight - nearly parallel grain.

Flame - wavering sometimes erratic grain like a flame.

Cheers. ?
However this pipe is advertised as 'straight' grain and to my eye could be flame grain?

Reactions: jpmcwjr