PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
In a 1986 study at the Briar Research Institute of Columbus Ohio, researchers did an extensive study on the smoking characteristics of different grain formations. Dr. Emil Rauchtviel led the project with the esteemed Dr. Otto Grosballon assisting. . . .a direct correlation to their misguided belief that it smokes better, resulting in their "extraxerunt asinum suum" generated statics on smoking qualities.
If the conclusion is in Latin, it must be true! What an example for genuine scientific inquiry for the 21st century!

Reactions: Briar Lee

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Ring Grain is Sandblasted Straight Grain.
Even after sandblasting Straight Grain is still the most valuable.
Ring grain is the growth rings, and the rippling will happen on any straight, flame, or mixed grain. In fact, sometimes the rings are far more beautiful than the Grain itself, so many sandblast just to accentuate those rings since it wasn't nice enough to be straight grain.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I read where straight grain briar is rarest, but I can’t remember seeing a full bird’s eye pipe, where it’s all bird’s eye.
The birdseye is the point of the Grain, the end of those lines. Getting 365 degrees is nigh impossible as you will see that Grain coming from some angle. The very center of the burl would have to be used to get this full birdseye, and cutters don't cut the center out like that.

Mar 1, 2014
Ring grain is the growth rings, and the rippling will happen on any straight, flame, or mixed grain. In fact, sometimes the rings are far more beautiful than the Grain itself, so many sandblast just to accentuate those rings since it wasn't nice enough to be straight grain.
My definition of "Straight Grain" might be more loose than some.
Anything where grain is "mostly" vertically oriented is "Straight Grain" in my book, the thermal properties won't be significantly affected if it's off kilter by a few degrees.

Reactions: Briar Lee
It doesn't make any sense to me to see an argument that says that the pipe holding in all of that heat via a straight grain makes it more valuable. Go to a pipe show and talk to pipemakers. I think you'll learn as I have that the reason "smooth" pipe in general are priced higher than blasts is because you can't mask a fill in a smooth. So, it takes a bit more work and chance to get a great smooth. I have never seen straight grains priced significantly higher than a birdseye nor a flame.

It is however, more significantly discussed EVERYWHERE that blasts smoke cooler because there is more surface area to dissipate the heat. How much cooler? ...even that I think is fairly insignificant for those that choo choo their pipes.
I think some are seeing price differences and assuming that more expensive means better smoker, and that is NEVER the case.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Thanks for all the replies. What I've gathered from them is that no, there isn't much (if any) evidence to support the claim that certain grains/orientations definitely smoke significantly better.

Grain/orientation is just aesthetics, and the only thing it affects is the price.

If made and drilled properly, an ugly basket pipe can smoke just as well as (or better than) a $400 custom piece.

If made and drilled properly, an ugly basket pipe can smoke just as well as (or better than) a $400 custom piece.
I don't know what drilled properly means, but yes. I agree. And, I am not one to put down higher priced pipes. I love my Beckers, custom made pipes, Dunhills, Ferndowns, Eltangs, etc... Most of my pipes are about the $500 range, but I also love my small selection of much less expensive factory mades... and I love them all.

But, I have never bought a >$500 pipe expecting it to smoke way better than any other. I bought them for their design, and appreciation for their contribution to pipe history. I have heard some say that their (insert pipemakers name here) smoke better than the cheaper ones. But, I am more along the lines of believing that the beauty of these pipes makes them superior and worth the money... to me. YMMV

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived, or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? -HST
That's really leaving no room for anything in between.

How about this: The person who stayed on shore, had a ball, married happily, had a family, exciting career, and lived happily in retirement without ever needly risking the happiness of their loved ones by needlessly facing death by trying to conquer a 100 foot wave on a surf board.

Can we include a choice like that?

:col::):ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jpmcwjr

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I don't know what drilled properly means, but yes. I agree. And, I am not one to put down higher priced pipes. I love my Beckers, custom made pipes, Dunhills, Ferndowns, Eltangs, etc... Most of my pipes are about the $500 range, but I also love my small selection of much less expensive factory mades... and I love them all.

But, I have never bought a >$500 pipe expecting it to smoke way better than any other. I bought them for their design, and appreciation for their contribution to pipe history. I have heard some say that their (insert pipemakers name here) smoke better than the cheaper ones. But, I am more along the lines of believing that the beauty of these pipes makes them superior and worth the money... to me. YMMV
I was wondering about this myself - the properly drilled pipe.

No insult intended, but.... isn't this something that most manufacturers should be doing routinely?

It's like saying, "I prefer a Lamborghini because I like properly tuned cars."

What? Chevy doesn't?

I was wondering about this myself - the properly drilled pipe.

No insult intended, but.... isn't this something that most manufacturers should be doing routinely?

It's like saying, "I prefer a Lamborghini because I like properly tuned cars."

What? Chevy doesn't?
Hey, don't bring Peterson's drilling issues into this... it was just a few, and all one has to do is just run a drill bit down their new pipe to complete the hole to make it smokable. What, you a Peterson hater? Ha ha. Jus messin' with you. puffy

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
FYI I wasn't implying that anyone who spends $500+ on a pipe is a fool. I have $40 pipes and I have $400 pipes, and the fancy ones definitely make me feel special when I smoke 'em. If I feel it was worth the money, then it was. They may not "smoke better", but they give me a better smoking experience.

By drilled properly, I just meant the air passage should meet the tobacco chamber at the bottom center, rather than too high on the bowl. Although I guess even if that were the case, maybe it would still be a great smoker--albeit a bit of a tobacco waster.

@telescopes re: my signature, what the hell are you talking about. (that's a rhetorical question btw, don't answer)

Geez louise, someone please kill this thread

I just meant the air passage should meet the tobacco chamber at the bottom center
Aaaaaaaaaa.... ok, I will skip explaining why high end Danish bent pipes are NOT drilled to dead center... to prevent gurgling... ha ha. Why kill the thread? Just unfollow it if you don't like the conversation.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Aaaaaaaaaa.... ok, I will skip explaining why high end Danish bent pipes are NOT drilled to dead center... to prevent gurgling... ha ha. Why kill the thread? Just unfollow it if you don't like the conversation.

Interesting!
And yes, fair enough. I think I was getting frustrated by my inability to accurately express my thoughts.
Now I’m puffing on your beloved Habana Daydream and all is well.

43AEDF99-5B4B-4179-94B7-8AB8F19D2EBC.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never owned a basket pipe and will never own one. The least expensive pipe I own is an old Peretti Straight Grain(their highest grade I believe) I got off of Ebay for around 70 bucks or so. I had it professionally refurbished and have not smoked it since as it is too pretty. I only bought it because I grew up less than 10 miles from Peretti. I used to go with my dad as a kid and then by myself as an adult.

I will try to get a pic of it to post. One of my kids has to do it as I take shitty pics as my hands shake a bit and I also have no idea how to get a pic from my phone to my computer. Yes I am kind of useless with these Iphones.

sleepy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill, Florida
What I may have failed to convey in my original post when I talked about end grain of a cutting board absorbing FAR more oil, is that I believe it almost certainly absorbs more moisture from the tobacco while smoking.

Again this is not based on any scientific research or experimentation, but if you have a wooden cutting board at home, try for yourself next time you oil it. The end grain soaks up oil as fast as you can apply it, whereas the other sides absorb far less quickly. And inside the bare/new chamber of a pipe with vertical straight grain you can see it is basically the end grain of a board.

But maple boards are not briar, and so nothing is proven here. Just a hypothesis.
thats because end grain has open cells where as the long grain is somewhat sealed between the wood fibers.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I tend to incline that this is true: “And if you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.” ~ Dr. Jordan Peterson

It makes no good sense to argue with someone (or berate and attempt to insult them) over insignificant matters. Simply state your point of view (if necessary) and move on. A tough (strong) man wouldn’t need to tear someone down in order to build himself up, now would he?
I truly like that Peterson quote. Re-read it in his book last week and noted that one specifically.

Reactions: gamzultovah

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
I am under the impression that the straight grain is from the very center of pretty old briar root, and more valuable because of its “rarity”. Is this the case? It doesn’t affect smoking quality, but value yes. Right?