PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Another of my favourites would be 'gypsy bread' or 'eggy bread'. Six large fresh eggs whisked up in a bowl with a shake of salt and a few generous grinds of black pepper.

Pour into a shallow bowl and get a frying pan going with butter melting. Drop a slice of fresh white bread into the egg mix and allow to absorb the mix then turn over and repeat. Pick it up and drop it into your now sizzling frying pan, cook briefly for a minute or two on both sides then repeat until no more egg mix is left.

These are great with some Heinz tomato ketchup and a great quickish treat.....kids love it!

I'm sure this is known around the world in some form or another.

Regards,

Jay.
Sounds like our French toast. I love it with maple syrup. A local restaurant here makes it banana bread.

Reactions: canucklehead

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Seems as though you can't type banana and not get the emoji."

Scott, I found that out much to my annoyance yesterday. What has Pipes Magazine got against bananas?

B A N A N A!!!

I just posted a query about this on the Pipes Magazine thread.

And yes, I've heard it called French toast over here too,

Regards,

Jay.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Cornbread- peanut butter -and syrup

If we have leftover cornbread, we have hot buttered cornbread topped with peanut butter and then pour syrup on top. The peanut butter has to be melting.

My mother would give this to my brother and I as kids for a quick meal from the night before and I would be thoroughly happy. I do it now and then as an adult but my children unfortunately don't like peanut butter. More for me.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Cornbread- peanut butter -and syrup

If we have leftover cornbread, we have hot buttered cornbread topped with peanut butter and then pour syrup on top. The peanut butter has to be melting.

My mother would give this to my brother and I as kids for a quick meal from the night before and I would be thoroughly happy. I do it now and then as an adult but my children unfortunately don't like peanut butter. More for me.
Never tried that, but I used to eat cornbread and buttermilk as a kid.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"Seems as though you can't type banana and not get the emoji."

Scott, I found that out much to my annoyance yesterday. What has Pipes Magazine got against bananas?

B A N A N A!!!

I just posted a query about this on the Pipes Magazine thread.

And yes, I've heard it called French toast over here too,

Regards,

Jay.

I love French Toast! But I've never tried re-dipping and cooking more.... Hmmmm. Six eggs is a lot for me....

• Haha
Reactions: canucklehead

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Cheese and pickle, beans on toast, boiled eggs with a slice of cheddar or Wensleydale. I‘m a bachelor for the better part of the summers, and keep all of the above at the ready.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"...boiled eggs with a slice of cheddar or Wensleydale."

You can't beat a hunk of good Wensleydale cheese.....one of the best if not the best regional cheeses of the UK. A good creamy Stilton is a delight too!

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: jpberg

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
"...boiled eggs with a slice of cheddar or Wensleydale."

You can't beat a hunk of good Wensleydale cheese.....one of the best if not the best regional cheeses of the UK. A good creamy Stilton is a delight too!

Regards,

Jay.
It’s damned expensive to import, but once in a while I just need a Branston and Wensleydale sandwich.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"...once in a while I just need a Branston and Wensleydale sandwich."

I don't if you're aware but Branston Pickle comes in two forms, the 'regular cut' and the more recent 'fine cut'.

I prefer the latter as though it's the same recipe, it somehow has more tangy flavour.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: jpberg
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
"If we have leftover cornbread.... "

If you have leftover cornbread send it to me, I've never had it!

Regards,

Jay.?
Seriously? Y’all get our crap TV, movies, and pop music, but cornbread hasn’t made it across the Atlantic yet?
There are actually several kinds of cornbread. In the South you’ll find either hot water cornbread, which is fried, or the baked variety. In Texas, “Mexican” cornbread is popular. Here in Louisiana, hush puppies are a big deal, and they’re basically a deep fried form of cornbread.

Status
Not open for further replies.