PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When a late lunch, usually fairly substantial, leads to no supper preparations, I'm afraid I resort to the dry cereal Cheerios. No nutritional powerhouse, just a place holder to not go to bed hungry. Sometimes peanut butter on sourdough toast, topped with patches of butter, fills the gap. I eat an absurd amount of peanut butter, nuts not being an allergy for me, luckily. We have been known to make a supper out of ice cream "from the corner," a little pickup window place two blocks away. If we're living large, it might be a milkshake or ice cream float. Their sundaes aren't up with the rest of their offerings. High school kid staff runs the gambit, from extra sharp to zoned out.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
My granddad did the same.
They grew up very poor and his father was not a good man so they made due with what they had. I learned to like sardines spam and potted meat. But I also learned how to make homemade wine from him. He was a very onery man and i have a lot of great memories of tricks he pulled and stories he told

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
Costco Jamaican Patties in the freezer section. Tear a corner, 2:15 in microwave and eat and repeat. Simple,spicy not as good as fresh but good enough for a quick meal.
I love Jamaican patties, always have several when we go to Jamaica ?? I didn't know they were available at Costco, I'll have to look for them next time I go. How do they compare to authentic patties?

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
How on earth did you make that Duane? The eggs seem to have wholly merged with the toast!

Looks like but clearly isn't poached egg on toast.....I'm intrigued ?

Regards,

Jay.?
I don't know how Jay does it, but we make it by cutting out a circle in the center of the bread, and open the egg into the hole while on the skillet. We call it a "Bird's Nest."

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I don't know how Jay does it, but we make it by cutting out a circle in the center of the bread, and open the egg into the hole while on the skillet. We call it a "Bird's Nest."
Same, but with a lot of butter involved and we call it "egg in a hole." At my house the main debate is whether to serve it with syrup, ketchup, or hot sauce. Hot sauce being the obvious correct choice.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I don't know how Jay does it, but we make it by cutting out a circle in the center of the bread, and open the egg into the hole while on the skillet"

Now then Bowie, after I made that post I thought about it and worked out that Duane must have toasted a slice one side, buttered the untoasted side then carefully plopped a raw egg atop the untoasted side then quickly bunged it under the grill.

That is my guess as to how he did it anyway ?

Regards,

Jay.?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
"I don't know how Jay does it, but we make it by cutting out a circle in the center of the bread, and open the egg into the hole while on the skillet"

Now then Bowie, after I made that post I thought about it and worked out that Duane must have toasted a slice one side, buttered the untoasted side then carefully plopped a raw egg atop the untoasted side then quickly bunged it under the grill.

That is my guess as to how he did it anyway ?

Regards,

Jay.?
I just cut a hole in the bread, lay it in a hot buttered frying pan and slowly pour the egg into the hole. I let it cook 20-30 seconds before flipping, cook the other side just as long, and onto the plate they go.

Status
Not open for further replies.