PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
My favorite quick meal is pan-seared steak and roasted asparagus. Preparation and cook time takes less than 30 minutes total from start to finish, the meal is delicious, and the dirty dishes are minimal - just a cast iron skillet and a baking sheet, and if you cover the baking sheet with foil, then the only dirty dish is pretty much the skillet.

Now for a quick, cheap, last-minute meal, which I think was probably the OP's intended criteria, then I agree with @CoffeeAndBourbon on grilled cheese and tomato soup. Surprisingly, it's a pretty well-rounded meal as to protein, fats, and carbs, particularly if your tomato soup includes milk (which mine always does). I probably eat grilled cheese and tomato soup at least once per week on average during the colder months.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
My favorite quick meal is pan-seared steak and roasted asparagus. Preparation and cook time takes less than 30 minutes total from start to finish, the meal is delicious, and the dirty dishes are minimal - just a cast iron skillet and a baking sheet, and if you cover the baking sheet with foil, then the only dirty dish is pretty much the skillet.

Now for a quick, cheap, last-minute meal, which I think was probably the OP's intended criteria, then I agree with @CoffeeAndBourbon on grilled cheese and tomato soup. Surprisingly, it's a pretty well-rounded meal as to protein, fats, and carbs, particularly if your tomato soup includes milk (which mine always does). I probably eat grilled cheese and tomato soup at least once per week on average during the colder months.
If you want even less dishes, cook that asparagus on high heat with a little butter, garlic powder, salt, and a squeeze of lemon juice, in the same skillet you just used, while your steak is resting.

Cooking a steak takes like, 7 minutes tops... that said, I will sometimes mix a can of sardines in with some spicy homemade salsa and eat with chips. Or, I will chop and grill some meats in with some peppers and cheeses for a quick pepper steak style lunch, served over a piece of bread, pending what types of bread I have made up.

I can also step off the back porch, pick some lettuce, green onions, maybe a radish or two, for a salad depending on what is growing, but there's always something year round. But, I think of that as more labor intensive than just heating a steak on two sides, and plopping it on a plate.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Our fast meal is browning ground lamb with a greek seasoning and making gyros with tortillas, feta, olives, peppers, onions, etc. 10 minutes tops. And we raise lamb so we have a lot of lamb. Good stuff.
Man, I love lamb. And goat. I don’t understand why lamb is not more popular here. In Europe, some places in South Asia, and the Middle East, it’s a staple meat. I’d eat it every day if I could afford it. It’s quite pricey, and my wife won’t eat it, so sadly I rarely cook it.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Man, I love lamb. And goat. I don’t understand why lamb is not more popular here. In Europe, some places in South Asia, and the Middle East, it’s a staple meat. I’d eat it every day if I could afford it. It’s quite pricey, and my wife won’t eat it, so sadly I rarely cook it.

We raise cattle, pigs, sheep, & goats, and we eat all the game animals too. Most people just don't know how to cook sheep and goat. Lamb chops are awesome, and my smoked leg of lamb can't be beat.

Contact a local rancher and buy your lamb or goat directly. They can haul to the butcher and you give cutting instructions and pickup the meat. A whole lamb doesn't take up much room in the freezer. If you are around Colorado or Wyoming, message me.

I smoke fat boar goat quarters on mesquite for 8-12 hours with a greek-type rub till it falls off the bone. Meat goats stay super moist and is absolutely amazing smoked. Even the most surly cattle rancher will love smoked goat when he swallows his pride and tries it....

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
We raise cattle, pigs, sheep, & goats, and we eat all the game animals too. Most people just don't know how to cook sheep and goat. Lamb chops are awesome, and my smoked leg of lamb can't be beat.

Contact a local rancher and buy your lamb or goat directly. They can haul to the butcher and you give cutting instructions and pickup the meat. A whole lamb doesn't take up much room in the freezer. If you are around Colorado or Wyoming, message me.

I smoke fat boar goat quarters on mesquite for 8-12 hours with a greek-type rub till it falls off the bone. Meat goats stay super moist and is absolutely amazing smoked. Even the most surly cattle rancher will love smoked goat when he swallows his pride and tries it....
I may do that. I’m a hunter, and have some restaurant experience as well, so butchering it myself is not a problem. I always process my own game, venison and sows/boars, mostly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tomatomat, on my one trip to Amsterdam, my late wife and I got there just in time for the herring season and made some meals of those, just wonderful. It's legally proscribed, it seems, when they can start selling these, and then it is a sort of street food festival. I can get some version of them in the U.S., but it is not the same. Herring season in The Netherlands is a beautiful thing.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Peanut butter toast. Any kind of toast.
In the summer when possible....fresh white bread and sliced tomatoes with salt, pepper and mayo,

Status
Not open for further replies.