PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Smoking Bowl 27 right now. This week will be warm so it'll get lots of use.

Last night I reamed the cake due to too many ghosts hanging around. And cleaned the bowl with a wet pipe cleaner. I also opened up the airway in the tenon, as there was small pieces of acrylic hanging, blocking part of the airway. 100 percent better. Also last week I sanded inside the button, to smooth it out as it was sharp to my tongue.

PXL_20230102_180324829.MP.jpg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

Last night I reamed the cake due to too many ghosts hanging around. And cleaned the bowl with a wet pipe cleaner. I also opened up the airway in the tenon, as there was small pieces of acrylic hanging, blocking part of the airway. 100 percent better. Also last week I sanded inside the button, to smooth it out as it was sharp to my tongue.

View attachment 191803
It's so ...cute.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Are you sure there are no 'BIG BRAND MEERSCHAUM' names @Briar Lee involved in the manufacturing process? This is not a trick question or me being amusing but surely there has to be one who could be described as a manufacturer of some repute. I realize that BBB, ADP and such like no longer churn out cased pipes by the truck load but surely there must be one or has the whole world gone artisanal? In this statement I am not including the company that makes bowls for that weird metal pipe who will remain nameless in my presence.
Even when there were big sellers of lots of meerschaums, it was always a cottage industry, each pipe being uniquely carved by one worker.

There used to be pressed meerschaums, and the meerschaum bowl insert industry was mechanized. I don’t count my pressed meerschaum pipe as a real meer.

My cheapest meerschaum is a smaller claw and egg I bought about forty years ago, and it’s a good pipe, that won’t color.

There are a bunch of others close to it out there, some of them made of better, some worse meerschaum.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
entirely hand made by one artisan
The rough shape is carved by one or more people before being handed to the master carver to finish.

For the last half a century or so the stems are fitted with the same delrin joint and are blessedly repairable.
Those have been being replaced with a more briar like fitting over the past 20+ years.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The rough shape is carved by one or more people before being handed to the master carver to finish.

Those have been being replaced with a more briar like fitting over the past 20+ years.

Thanks, I stand corrected.

But one worker finished it, always. And my newest meerschaum is “Jack”, made about 2002 or so. Thanks to your advice I have 15 Delrin fittings coming, less than $2 each.

If tomorrow a new meerschaum mine was discovered underneath London or New York I doubt it would ever pay off. The cost of living is too high there, for all the labor required, and there are no master carvers outside of Turkey.

One factor that might improve all block meerschaum pipes for sale is the buggy whip manufacturer paradox.

When there was a huge demand for buggy whips there were cheap, almost worthless buggy whips competing with good buggy whips.

My Amish renter’s father is a master harness maker, his shop next to my farm in Spout Spring Hollow, and he’s training his son.

0F39141D-9A85-4826-A892-EB6DFAF749F8.jpeg

93A90F3D-6E9A-4F41-A761-08FB01EEF4C5.jpeg

5F82A375-6FDD-4DC6-9738-BEF35A6854A1.jpeg

Every bit of a horse’s harness is hand made in that shop from the very best materials.

My friend said a horse that needed the entire harness would cost about $550 to outfit, and the harness custom fitted.

I don’t have a horse, but I was fascinated with the shop, and asked can you make me a belt?

He laughed and said sure, and took a $14 synthetic leather belt off the peg and then matched it to my length.

To keep their pants up, the Amish don’t waste a dollar for traditions sake.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Ever see a group of teens during rumspringa? rotf
The Spout Spring Hollow Amish don’t do rumspringa.

I do about a hundred things an hour that if my friend did them, would be an offense at his Last Judgement.

But basically he and I both are Anababtists, only my ancestors were Celts from Scotland and his Germanic.

He’s never tasted a sip of alcohol his entire life, he never will, and he won’t miss it. He’s not smoked or chewed, either.

I bought his $14 belt, and watched him work it on his vice to my length. I tried it on for size, and it was perfect.

But I took it off to visit the graves of my ancestors in Plum Grove Cemetery.

Campbellite mothers, and later wives, select, buy, and launder every stitch of clothing you wear, and so do Amish mothers and wives. Men only select hats, belts, and shoes.

My Mama isn’t buried deep enough for me to risk her seeing me with a cheap belt on.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I wonder, if the master carvers in Turkey smoke meerschaum pipes, themselves?

They were likely raised from the cradle as Muslims, who for the most part eschew alcohol, tobacco, and excessive ornamentation.

But Jack Daniels was, and maybe still is, made in a dry county.:)

Somebody in Turkey had to carve my claw and egg pipe, and he did a wonderful job of it. But did he know that meerschaum block would be almost impossible to color?

CDB9219D-13C2-40AE-A013-C735750607AB.jpegBBF5575C-3479-46E9-9CBE-B3BE70CA4B41.jpeg73748854-D334-4A53-BE65-54CF95B5A669.jpegA35117C3-A1F8-4F29-910B-04E897547B95.jpeg1844E19B-DCF1-40D8-ACBE-D6032F18FAD6.jpeg

I bought that pipe for myself in December 1979 when I finished my undergraduate degree.

It’s a wonderful smoker, but the grade of meerschaum used doesn’t color very fast, you know?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It’s a wonderful smoker, but the grade of meerschaum used doesn’t color very fast, you know?
I'd say it's just block specific regardless of grade. I've ran over 100 smokes through this fellow, and it's barely getting a tint to it.

20221231_131731.jpg

I wonder, if the master carvers in Turkey smoke meerschaum pipes, themselves?
Fikri Baki

block_meerschaum_estate_pipe_m_1616634284_e4d1d531_progressive.jpg

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My other obsession besides pipes is shotguns, and due to the spectacular decline in the value of the Turkish lira against the United States dollar, and the fact Turkish walnut grows in abundance in Turkey, for the last few years indescribably nice Turkish autoloaders have sold new for prices not seen in fifty years here in America.

2E80516B-B86A-4DE2-A99E-8FCDACFA2F85.jpeg

This is because the Turkish leader refuses to allow an independent central bank control over interest rates, like the other Western democracies Turkey trades with have done for up to a century.

For example, the last inflation reading in Turkey was 84% and the central bank rate was 9%.

Foreign hard currencies like the dollar, pound and euro are like gold in Turkey, especially the US dollar.

I’ve been wanting a thousand dollar grade meerschaum for over thirty years.

Now, before Turkey inevitably quits killing it’s own currency, ought to be a good time to buy a premium meerschaum.

Attachments

• 3321F3DB-A0BB-452C-954F-2C106CA9C227.jpeg
    3321F3DB-A0BB-452C-954F-2C106CA9C227.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Briar Tuck

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado

View attachment 191803
So happy you are giving the lattice a go. That little beauty is off to a great start. 🤙🤙

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
As someone who regularly smokes meerschaums with both tenon types (the briar style and the screwed in push-pull), I don’t understand the obsession with the briar-style tenons. Both tenons smoke equally well in my opinion and I’d imagine that since the screw in ones are more modular that they’ll stand up better to the test of time as they’re easily replaced. Aren’t the briar-style ones permanently affixed or am I mistaken?

Reactions: Briar Lee

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
As someone who regularly smokes meerschaums with both tenon types (the briar style and the screwed in push-pull), I don’t understand the obsession with the briar-style tenons. Both tenons smoke equally well in my opinion and I’d imagine that since the screw in ones are more modular that they’ll stand up better to the test of time as they’re easily replaced. Aren’t the briar-style ones permanently affixed or am I mistaken?
My pipe in this thread, with the affixed tenon (which I believe the stem is one solid piece of acrylic) Has better air flow than the screwed in style. I also feel safer, in the sense like this is a system that CANNOT fall out. But I love my meers with the screw style tenons as well. I'm sure most of this is all in my head.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
My pipe in this thread, with the affixed tenon (which I believe the stem is one solid piece of acrylic) Has better air flow than the screwed in style. I also feel safer, in the sense like this is a system that CANNOT fall out. But I love my meers with the screw style tenons as well. I'm sure most of this is all in my head.
C974B072-6D7D-4459-B385-3F101DA6F6B8.jpeg
My Altinay on the left here has the same style fitting as yours and my AGovem on the right has the screw in push-pull. Does the altinay have a more open airflow? Yes. Does it smoke better than the AGovem? No. They both smoke incredibly well I just pack the AGovem slightly lighter. Since I only have one pipes of each tenon-style my opinion is purely anecdotal as I don’t have a large enough sample size. Others would have to chime in. This is just my experience with my two pipes.