PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know exactly where all six of my cased meerschaums are, and where and when I came to own them.
Though I've got a few more, I know where they all came from and when. Even talked to a couple of their carvers regarding the particulars of their creation.

I’d smoke mine more, if I wasn’t afraid I’d drop them, and wasn’t so proud of them.
I'm almost primarily a meerschaum smoker and they go everywhere.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I'm almost primarily a meerschaum smoker and they go everywhere.
This has become me. For about a year the only meerschaum I had was an altinay lattice meer that I love and smoke all the time. It only came with a pipe sock so I never felt comfortable taking it out and about. I bought a billiard from AGovem with a case and now I don’t use my briars nearly as much. As someone who prefers multiple smaller bowls throughout the day, a meer is more suited to my needs as I find it stays drier. I just ordered another meer from AGovem before he raises his prices like many of the other meerschaum carvers seem to be doing. The bowl is .75in x 1.25in so right in my sweet spot. For some reason I can’t post a pic of it.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
This has become me. For about a year the only meerschaum I had was an altinay lattice meer that I love and smoke all the time. It only came with a pipe sock so I never felt comfortable taking it out and about. I bought a billiard from AGovem with a case and now I don’t use my briars nearly as much. As someone who prefers multiple smaller bowls throughout the day, a meer is more suited to my needs as I find it stays drier. I just ordered another meer from AGovem before he raises his prices like many of the other meerschaum carvers seem to be doing. The bowl is .75in x 1.25in so right in my sweet spot. For some reason I can’t post a pic of it.
BE86C3CE-933D-4866-8583-FAECBFA51089.jpeg
DEA803F2-0A3A-4680-8C4E-58AF99374878.jpeg
Not sure why I couldn’t post the pics before but here’s the new meer.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The last pipe I broke was a nice briar Pipe Maker Bulldog, about three years ago, when my daughter was at the office.

She opened the mail, and came back and said Oh, this is so pretty, and handed it to me. I took it and began to clean it up, and fumbled it and it hit the floor and broke the bowl in half.

She asked, can you glue it back, and my reply was for twelve dollars I’ll buy another one, but that one’s gone.

She was just a little girl when she saw the meerschaum she named Jack in a pipe display and had her mother buy it for me.

Aside from the beautiful carving, the coloring, and the sweet smoking qualities of a meerschaum, I think we value the memory of getting them most of all.

They are jewelry men can smoke.

But just never drop one.:)

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's how I felt in the beginning, having no hard case with this pipe. However, I've just been keeping it in my pipe/tobacco combo pouch, and it certainly takes up less room this way.
PXL_20230102_041525402.MP.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Eh I'm probably calling it a lattice and it's not, it's his Altinay with the weave to it. I like the dragon one i found and i have a couple bids in on 2 no names that are nicely carved so might end up with at least 2 new pipes.
I'd call it a figural. It's not a lattice and a weave is a basket weave. Regardless, it's a nice looking Meer.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I just put them in my shirt pocket when I'm out if I'm not smoking.
I’ve clanked my briars off of all sorts of surfaces while bending down to pick up my daughter as they like to jump out of my shirt pockets. I feel more comfortable with my meers in a case in the pocket of my pants. Although, I will say I’d probably take melt altinay out and about without a case if it was a smooth meer as they have more weight and are more solid. It’s a lattice so I feel it’d me more succeptible to shattering. At any rate, once I receive the package in the mail I’ll have 2 smooth AGovem meerschaum pipes with cases. These are my ‘beater meers’ as I lovingly like to put it that I’ll take anywhere my heart desires. The altinay stays at home.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’ve clanked my briars off of all sorts of surfaces while bending down to pick up my daughter as they like to jump out of my shirt pockets. I feel more comfortable with my meers in a case in the pocket of my pants. Although, I will say I’d probably take melt altinay out and about without a case if it was a smooth meer as they have more weight and are more solid. It’s a lattice so I feel it’d me more succeptible to shattering. At any rate, once I receive the package in the mail I’ll have 2 smooth AGovem meerschaum pipes with cases. These are my ‘beater meers’ as I lovingly like to put it that I’ll take anywhere my heart desires. The altinay stays at home.
Shirt pockets with a flap and opening for a pen make it alot easier. All of my meerschaums are my on the go pipes. The more you worry about them, the more likely you're going to damage them.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
One distinct difference meerschaums have, is every one of quality was and still is, entirely hand made by one artisan, and traditionally they were placed in a hand fitted, hand made case. For the last half a century or so the stems are fitted with the same delrin joint and are blessedly repairable.

Another difference is that carving, especially the quality of carving, becomes a large factor in price.

Each meerschaum is truly unique. And since there’s no BIG NAME BRAND MEERSCHAUM PIPE FACTORY with a brand to protect, the grade of the meerschaum you buy depends almost entirely on the integrity of the importer. The new ones are all white, unless artificially colored.

How To Pick Meerschaum :: Meerschaum Pipes - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/how-to-pick-meerschaum.75427/

Once you get one, the object is to color it, and that takes awhile.

Every pipe smoker, should have at least one quality meerschaum, to enjoy the experience.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Are you sure there are no 'BIG BRAND MEERSCHAUM' names @Briar Lee involved in the manufacturing process? This is not a trick question or me being amusing but surely there has to be one who could be described as a manufacturer of some repute. I realize that BBB, ADP and such like no longer churn out cased pipes by the truck load but surely there must be one or has the whole world gone artisanal? In this statement I am not including the company that makes bowls for that weird metal pipe who will remain nameless in my presence.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
In terms of carrying pipes with me when I am out and about, unless I am lunking in which case my lighter and tamper are in a pocket and my pipe is in my mouth, I keep my pipe, tobacco, lighter, and tamper in a pouch tucked in a messenger bag.

The messenger bag has saved me from dropping, misplacing, or cluttering up my pockets with pipes. I began using one during one of my many travels - they are perfect for passports and other documents as well. But they are most excellent for pipes.

I realize that many men can't do this and wouldn't consider a messenger type bag to carry pipes. The bag is a tool, no different than a tool belt is for a carpenter.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Are you sure there are no 'BIG BRAND MEERSCHAUM' names @Briar Lee involved in the manufacturing process? This is not a trick question or me being amusing but surely there has to be one who could be described as a manufacturer of some repute. I realize that BBB, ADP and such like no longer churn out cased pipes by the truck load but surely there must be one or has the whole world gone artisanal? In this statement I am not including the company that makes bowls for that weird metal pipe who will remain nameless in my presence.
While CAO is now best known for its cigars, they used to be known for their Meerschaum pipes and their carver, Ismet Bekler—I’m not sure they still produce pipes (they may be owned by STG now). But, I’d say they qualify/qualified as a manufacturer of some repute.