PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Someone should do a competition for which pipe-makers create pipes that they’re selling the sponsor for less than a certain amount, say 300$ or maybe 400. It’d be interesting to set a limit, like a poor man’s pipe competition. It’s got to be done fast with no fancy ferrules. I did like some of these pipes a lot (the Jody David) but many were a bit fancy for me. How many of these would retail below 500$?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Someone should do a competition for which pipe-makers create pipes that they’re selling the sponsor for less than a certain amount, say 300$ or maybe 400. It’d be interesting to set a limit, like a poor man’s pipe competition. It’s got to be done fast with no fancy ferrules. I did like some of these pipes a lot (the Jody David) but many were a bit fancy for me. How many of these would retail below 500$?
8 of them were under $500, but thats direct to consumer via commission, retail may have been higher.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Great seeing all these beautiful pipes! Thanks @alaskanpiper!

Herbaugh and Asteriou are already the two carvers I'd like to add to my collection. I had contacted Abe about a month ago about making me a Peewit, but I'll need to save up some pennies first. Hopefully I'll have that later this year.

Then I decided, the one other commission I'd like is A CUTTY! (I've sold off all the ones I've had for one reason or an other, except for my Ropp Churchwarden; but it's pretty much my favourite pipe shape.) That was before you started this contest (damn you!)...which was enlightening and definitely confirmed who my favourite carvers are (out of this bunch anyway.)

In addition to Abe Herbaugh and Chris Asteriou, Jody Davis and Gustavo Cunha made the strongest showing, in my humble, ignorant, and unsolicited opinion. It's ridiculous choosing amongst beautiful objects such as these and deeming one or the other "better" or the "best", but it was sure nice seeing all these pipes. Let's see the rest of your collection now!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Great seeing all these beautiful pipes! Thanks @alaskanpiper!

Herbaugh and Asteriou are already the two carvers I'd like to add to my collection. I had contacted Abe about a month ago about making me a Peewit, but I'll need to save up some pennies first. Hopefully I'll have that later this year.

Then I decided, the one other commission I'd like is A CUTTY! (I've sold off all the ones I've had for one reason or an other, except for my Ropp Churchwarden; but it's pretty much my favourite pipe shape.) That was before you started this contest (damn you!)...which was enlightening and definitely confirmed who my favourite carvers are (out of this bunch anyway.)

In addition to Abe Herbaugh and Chris Asteriou, Jody Davis and Gustavo Cunha made the strongest showing, in my humble, ignorant, and unsolicited opinion. It's ridiculous choosing amongst beautiful objects such as these and deeming one or the other "better" or the "best", but it was sure nice seeing all these pipes. Let's see the rest of your collection now!
Haha well your picks match the final 4 so you are not alone!

Abe’s Peewits are stunning. If it was a shape I was particularly fond of, that’d be the first place I’d go!

I love the cutty shape, but I’m not sure I’d call it my favorite. But as you can see, it affords a lot of room for an artisan’s creativity to flourish which is why I chose it. I also have one of the Ropp churchwardens! Beautiful lithe tavern shape.

And yes, deeming any one the best is somewhat ridiculous, but ridiculous and fun are not mutually exclusive! In fact, I’ve found in life that they often pair quite well!

As far as the rest of my collection, well, I’ll have to post one a day for about 6 months 😂

• Love
Reactions: Winnipeger

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I love the cutty shape, but I’m not sure I’d call it my favorite. But as you can see, it affords a lot of room for an artisan’s creativity to flourish which is why I chose it.
I like the cant. I just find them super comfortable to hold and smoke because of the the way the stem is angled towards your mouth when you hold the bowl in a relaxed way. (Almost as though it were designed that way 🤔). The egg-like bowl fits the hand really well. I also find the foot nuzzles against the inside of my knuckle when I hold the shank between my fingers like a cigarette (if that makes sense). It's also the most classic pipe shape. It hasn't really been improved upon IMHO, but I like a straight billiard almost as much.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks for a successful, fun and educational project enjoyed by so many here.

Most of the pipes I'd love to have in my rack (table/drawer/on bathroom sink/golf bag.

• Haha
Reactions: alaskanpiper

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
For anyone who hasn't seen his magnificent Alaska themed 7 day set:

Pipe 1

Pipe 2

Pipe 3

Pipe 4

Pipe 5

Pipe 6