PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have been dreaming up an Alaska themed 7 day set for some time, including materials I've harvested myself such as moose and blacktail deer antler, gold, pipeline steel, caribou, muskox horn, and more. I have finally decided to begin the commission of this set with the first entry, the artist for which is Josh Ronish with Dragon Briars. This set will encompass Alaskan history, as well as the history of my life here, and for the first entrant I decided to go with the pipe that will be the most ancient representation of Alaskan history in the set.

Though I did not harvest it myself, the Alaska themed material for this one is Mammoth Ivory, used as an accent band on the stem. Alaska was one of the last strongholds for this Pleistocene beast, some surviving in the Arctic regions near Alaska until as recently as 3,700 years ago. As many of the materials this set will include are from animals I have harvested as a hunter, I felt this was an appropriate homage to the Alaskan hunters of the past that would take on these massive creatures with little more than spears.

As an additional cool factor, I figured if ancient materials were in the works for this pipe, then some 5000 year old morta should do the trick for the stummel, whitewashed for an added aesthetic.

In picking the style I decided to stay traditional and stick with one of my favorite shapes, the large billiard. This baby clocks in at 6.5 inches, 1.74 ounces, with a 1.75 x 0.86 chamber. SEM German Ebonite Stem. Can't wait for this to arrive, so I can load it up with some extra, extra vintage tobacco ?

Huge thanks go out to the talented Josh Ronish for a perfect execution of my "Fossil on Fossil" vision:

83e25f94-ce64-47ee-a29f-cc08e5446bb5.jpg

397232b6-1214-47b2-ab8c-4809fc0af1b3.jpg
2be92440-1178-42b6-a957-78d571099100.jpg
fb3a163b-c7cb-46f7-bdfd-bff57ca5e11b.jpg
aac006ad-92ba-4dd5-ac4e-f8a6b876e111.jpg
2a616e76-c8b5-45e2-b166-16b382c77ba5.jpg

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
D
I have been dreaming up an Alaska themed 7 day set for some time, including materials I've harvested myself such as moose and blacktail deer antler, gold, pipeline steel, caribou, muskox horn, and more. I have finally decided to begin the commission of this set with the first entry, the artist for which is Josh Ronish with Dragon Briars. This set will encompass Alaskan history, as well as the history of my life here, and for the first entrant I decided to go with the pipe that will be the most ancient representation of Alaskan history in the set.

Though I did not harvest it myself, the Alaska themed material for this one is Mammoth Ivory, used as an accent band on the stem. Alaska was one of the last strongholds for this Pleistocene beast, some surviving in the Arctic regions near Alaska until as recently as 3,700 years ago. As many of the materials this set will include are from animals I have harvested as a hunter, I felt this was an appropriate homage to the Alaskan hunters of the past that would take on these massive creatures with little more than spears.

As an additional cool factor, I figured if ancient materials were in the works for this pipe, then some 5000 year old morta should do the trick for the stummel, whitewashed for an added aesthetic.

In picking the style I decided to stay traditional and stick with one of my favorite shapes, the large billiard. This baby clocks in at 6.5 inches, 1.74 ounces, with a 1.75 x 0.86 chamber. SEM German Ebonite Stem. Can't wait for this to arrive, so I can load it up with some extra, extra vintage tobacco ?

Huge thanks go out to the talented Josh Ronish for a perfect execution of my "Fossil on Fossil" vision:

View attachment 62539

View attachment 62540
View attachment 62541
View attachment 62542
View attachment 62543
View attachment 62544
Damn perty!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

View attachment 62539

View attachment 62540
View attachment 62541
View attachment 62542
View attachment 62543
View attachment 62544
I do love a smooth morta.❤

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

View attachment 62539

View attachment 62540
View attachment 62541
View attachment 62542
View attachment 62543
View attachment 62544
You know what may have been even better? An ivory stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is a gorgeous pipe, materials and execution at a high level. Even more impressive is your concept. I hope you have decades ahead to collaborate and enjoy these pipes, but I think you should look into leaving the set, with written commentary, to an Alaskan historical museum; it will be amazing. I think the Mammoth is one of the most astonishing creatures, a bit like the musk ox today in terms of an enormous creature who sustains great weight in a seemingly austere ecology. Where the hell did they find the hundreds of pound required each day?