PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Truthfully I am totally taken by the pipe's conception and execution, looking cool, perhaps cold in hue, in opposition to its capacity to hold the tobacco's orange and yellow incineration when in use.

Very much looking forward to the other six.

Spectacular! Spectacular!
Much of the credit for the conception (and all of it for the execution!) of this particular pipe belongs to the artist Josh as well, he has been working with mammoth ivory for quite some time in a similar capacity to what you see here. His experience with it, and overall craftsmanship is what led me to select him for this particular piece.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Impressively gnary hands!

Great looking pipe. The whole project sounds awesome and ambitious as hell. Hope you'll keep posting the results as they come in!
Haha credit for those hands belongs to Josh as well! Noone could accuse him of not working hard!

I will post each pipe as they are completed. Plans for #2 are currently in the works with the desired carver.

Reactions: BROBS and danimalia

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Love the pipe and the whole set idea. Josh is super cool to work with, I love my bespoke birthday pipe. Good luck, can’t wait to see more History of Alaska Pipes!

Reactions: alaskanpiper

dragonbriars

Lurker
Nov 9, 2017
Wait til you see it in your hand. I look forward to working on your project. I love combining natural accents to pipes. Makes the even more personal when you as the owner contributed your harvest to the piece. Here's an example of a recent billiard with elk antler harvested by its owner.20210115_205558.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Wait til you see it in your hand. I look forward to working on your project. I love combining natural accents to pipes. Makes the even more personal when you as the owner contributed your harvest to the piece. Here's an example of a recent billiard with elk antler harvested by its owner.View attachment 62604
Saw that one on insta. Planning on something similar, but with different stummel shape for either moose, caribou, or blacktail antler. We’ll talk ?

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Awesome, Dude! Absolutely awesome. I caught a walrus skull with tusks attached while bottom trawling off of Nunivak Island in the Bering Sea a decade or so ago. Had an entire crew of government scientists on board that made me toss it over the side. I'm still pissed about that one. Would love to have had a chunk of that sucker built into a pipe.

Reactions: alaskanpiper

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Coming from such a one whose experience towers, my advice, which I commonly only impart to pipe kings, is no bents. Yes, even the pharaohs only smoked straight pipes. Leave bents to Sherlock, who as we know, was an opium addict in slippers. If you go straight, you will immediately inspire respect amongst your peers who, though they smoke bents, know in the back of their minds the truth contained in this brief account.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Awesome, Dude! Absolutely awesome. I caught a walrus skull with tusks attached while bottom trawling off of Nunivak Island in the Bering Sea a decade or so ago. Had an entire crew of government scientists on board that made me toss it over the side. I'm still pissed about that one. Would love to have had a chunk of that sucker built into a pipe.
Yeah, unfortunately it has to be on the beach (and within 1/4 mile of the ocean) for a non-native individual to be able to keep it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Coming from such a one whose experience towers, my advice, which I commonly only impart to pipe kings, is no bents. Yes, even the pharaohs only smoked straight pipes. Leave bents to Sherlock, who as we know, was an opium addict in slippers. If you go straight, you will immediately inspire respect amongst your peers who, though they smoke bents, know in the back of their minds the truth contained in this brief account.
Haha, all joking aside, I much prefer straight pipes, but do like the odd 1/4 bend (usually only on a prince, poker, or pot). The pipes in this set will be mostly straight, with one or two possibly having a slight 1/4 bend. We'll see.