Alaska 7 Pipe Set: Pipe Number 2 (Gold Themed)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
All,

I am pleased to show off the second finished pipe in my commissioned Alaska 7 day set. For those that missed Pipe number 1 (Mammoth themed), you can find it here.

You cannot say the word Gold in the State of Alaska without instantly invoking thoughts of the Klondike Gold Rush of the late 1800's. Tens of thousand of prospectors flocking to Alaska to try and strike it rich, which only a small fraction of them would succeed in doing. Images of prospectors climbing the steep slopes of mountain passes after departing newly minted boom towns like Skagway (A still bustling little town that was the final resting place of famed western con-man Soapy Smith) and the now ghost town of Dyea to begin their journey up the Chilkoot or White Pass trails. This scene even graces some of our state license plates. Along with the classic western saloon scenes, amplified by those who had succeeded having pockets full of gold to spend frivolously.

Fast forward to modern times and Alaska still relies heavily on the mining industry. From large open pit operations, to small private dredging boats slurping up flakes off the shores of Nome. Gold will forever have a part in Alaskan history, and it only seemed right to include a gold themed pipe as one of the seven day set.

I wanted this pipe to be the longest one in the set, so I designed it to be 9.6 inches, as an homage to the year of 1896, when Skookum Jim struck gold on Bonanza Creek, sparking the rush to stake your claim. The wide, canted in rim is meant to resemble that of a gold pan, and the long stem to be reminiscent of a miner's pick axe and shovel. All of this is accentuated by a one inch accent band of real gold suspended in clear alumilite. As with all pipes in the set, the pipe is stamped with a "49" in addition to the maker's nomenclature to commemorate the 49th state in the union.

Given the above criteria, the choice for the artisan who would carve this pipe was obvious.

Ladies and Gentleman, the Gold Pan Squat Dublin, by Scottie Piersel. Scottie is truly talented, and she did an absolutely amazing job at making my vision for this pipe a reality.

Scottie 2.jpg
Scottie 1.jpg
Scottie 3.jpg
Scottie 5.jpg

Scottie 4.jpg
Scottie 6.jpg

Attachments

• Scottie 2.jpg
    Scottie 2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I've been shot at/towards several times up here in Alaska, usually by people on chaotic caribou hunts not knowing what was downrange of their targets. Never have I been more afraid than when shots rang out in a seemingly quiet and calm location, only to find out I was on the outskirts of a gold claim. It's one thing to have an unintended shot crack over your head when stalking caribou; an entirely different thing to have well-placed warning shots hitting the dirt within feet of where you stand.

I'm not sure Alaskan culture is steeped more heavily in anything else than it is in the gold rush and the subsequent culture it created - at least 'our' portion of Alaskan culture. This pipe screams Alaska to me. To say I'm impressed would only bastardize the feelings that seeing this pipe creates, as the word 'impressed' doesn't quite do the pipe, or the resulting emotions, justice.

An incredible addition to your set by an amazing craftswoman. Kudos on both your design and her realization of it. I can't wait to see the other five.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I've been shot at/towards several times up here in Alaska, usually by people on chaotic caribou hunts not knowing what was downrange of their targets. Never have I been more afraid than when shots rang out in a seemingly quiet and calm location, only to find out I was on the outskirts of a gold claim. It's one thing to have an unintended shot crack over your head when stalking caribou; an entirely different thing to have well-placed warning shots hitting the dirt within feet of where you stand.

I'm not sure Alaskan culture is steeped more heavily in anything else than it is in the gold rush and the subsequent culture it created - at least 'our' portion of Alaskan culture. This pipe screams Alaska to me. To say I'm impressed would only bastardize the feelings that seeing this pipe creates, as the word 'impressed' doesn't quite do the pipe, or the resulting emotions, justice.

An incredible addition to your set by an amazing craftswoman. Kudos on both your design and her realization of it. I can't wait to see the other five.
Haha, you can't live in Alaska for too long before you get shot at, both accidentally and intentionally. I've been hit twice with a shotgun (at long range thank god) by accident. I have also been shot at twice intentionally. Once was warning shots from a cabin I was duck hunting close to. His drunk ass thought I was bear hunting, which is frowned upon that time of year because the bears their clean up all the dead spawned out salmon that line the lakeshore and stink the place up. He shot the water around my boat several times while hollering his ass off. I didn't bother sticking around to explain. 15 horses never galloped so fast.

The other was a moose hunter that was rolling around in an argo near my moose camp. I buzzed down low in the airplane to get a look at who it was, and he apparently didn't take kindly to that. I saw his rifle recoil while pointed up at us. He later contacted me after looking up my tail number to explain that he was shooting at a squirrel. In the sky.........with his moose rifle.........in the middle of a moose hunt........?

He was dumb enough to give me his name, and was reported to the State Troopers.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Incredible. And to think there are still 5 more to come.
The third has been completed, fourth is currently completed aside from artwork being done on an accent band by a third party, fifth and sixth have been commissioned and the planning stages are complete, just waiting on materials to arrive. Have a deposit down on the 7th.

That's gorgeous! That's an instant heirloom! You put a lot of thought into that and she REALLY delivered. WOW!

I have several of her pipes and they are some of my very favorites. I have to say though that the longest one I have from her is 8 1/2 inches and it doesn't see much smoke because it's so long. it's a sit-down-handwarmer kinda pipe.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That's gorgeous! That's an instant heirloom! You put a lot of thought into that and she REALLY delivered. WOW!

I have several of her pipes and they are some of my very favorites. I have to say though that the longest one I have from her is 8 1/2 inches and it doesn't see much smoke because it's so long. it's a sit-down-handwarmer kinda pipe.
Yeah, this pipe will not be leaving the house, so a sit down pipe it shall be. That being said, when my budget allows, I will certainly be commissioning another of her pipes in the 5 inch neighborhood. Her pipes are so light I just must have one I can clench.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Back in my geo-survey job in '84 in the Brooks Range, we always headed in the opposite direction when we saw a gold claim sign. Covetous greed in the wilderness. Also had problems with competing academic geologists telling us to get off their turf.
All,

I am pleased to show off the second finished pipe in my commissioned Alaska 7 day set. For those that missed Pipe number 1 (Mammoth themed), you can find it here.

You cannot say the word Gold in the State of Alaska without instantly invoking thoughts of the Klondike Gold Rush of the late 1800's. Tens of thousand of prospectors flocking to Alaska to try and strike it rich, which only a small fraction of them would succeed in doing. Images of prospectors climbing the steep slopes of mountain passes after departing newly minted boom towns like Skagway (A still bustling little town that was the final resting place of famed western con-man Soapy Smith) and the now ghost town of Dyea to begin their journey up the Chilkoot or White Pass trails. This scene even graces some of our state license plates. Along with the classic western saloon scenes, amplified by those who had succeeded having pockets full of gold to spend frivolously.

Fast forward to modern times and Alaska still relies heavily on the mining industry. From large open pit operations, to small private dredging boats slurping up flakes off the shores of Nome. Gold will forever have a part in Alaskan history, and it only seemed right to include a gold themed pipe as one of the seven day set.

I wanted this pipe to be the longest one in the set, so I designed it to be 9.6 inches, as an homage to the year of 1896, when Skookum Jim struck gold on Bonanza Creek, sparking the rush to stake your claim. The wide, canted in rim is meant to resemble that of a gold pan, and the long stem to be reminiscent of a miner's pick axe and shovel. All of this is accentuated by a one inch accent band of real gold suspended in clear alumilite. As with all pipes in the set, the pipe is stamped with a "49" in addition to the maker's nomenclature to commemorate the 49th state in the union.

Given the above criteria, the choice for the artisan who would carve this pipe was obvious.

Ladies and Gentleman, the Gold Pan Squat Dublin, by Scottie Piersel. Scottie is truly talented, and she did an absolutely amazing job at making my vision for this pipe a reality.

View attachment 67913
View attachment 67914
View attachment 67915
View attachment 67925

View attachment 67917
View attachment 67918

Such a cool pipe! Where did the suspended gold thingy come from?

Pipe would also work well if you need a scoop for your elk stew!