The Third Addition to the Alaska 7 Pipe Set (Blacktail Deer)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
All,

For those that missed pipes 1 and 2, you can find them here , and here .

I was born, raised, and still live in Alaska and throughout that time hunting wild game has been a core part of my life, culture, and subsistence. One of the most interesting animals to hunt in Alaska is the Sitka Blacktail deer. While being one of the most dainty and miniscule deer species in North America (a huge specimen weighing 200lbs), they also inhabit some of the world's harshest terrain. From SE Alaska, where steep slopes, high winds, and 13 feet of yearly rain make it a challenge for any animal, to Kodiak island where windswept 6 foot tall grasses may be all that keeps you hidden from one of the highest concentrations of the some of the world's largest bears, constantly hunting you. Harsh winters in both areas can have devastating effects on populations as well, but the Blacktail deer not only survives, but often thrives in these conditions. They are also some of the most delicious game meat you can find.

For the third pipe in the set I have chosen to honor the Blacktail's lithe and graceful, yet rugged nature with a shape that I feel encompasses both, that of a slightly bent Cutty with a plateau rim. This Cutty features an antler shank mount, using antler bases from a blacktail deer I harvested myself on Kodiak island. I wanted to keep the shape svelte and fluid like a fleeing blacktail, but also add a sense of ruggedness so I chose to leave the rim as a plateau, and utilize a contrast sandblast to make the pipe a little more organic in nature. Blacktail deer have much more diminutive antler structure than most deer species, including their brow tines which are often a simple small nub. I chose to replicate that in the foot of the Cutty, by making it a mostly aesthetic nub similar to what is found as a brow tine on many blacktail racks.

Then we come to the stem. You will see two faux ivory white bands, one slightly larger than the other. This is to honor the most heart pounding moment in blacktail hunting. When a blacktail buck is staring straight at you, you see the contrast of their black head and nose, along with their signature two white patches on the neck and breast, one usually slightly larger than the other. At that point you have moments to pull the trigger, or your prey will be gone in a flash. Now given that we had to chop the base of an antler off to make this possible, I also requested the carver use the rest of that antler to create a matching tamper with a shell casing base to go along with this pipe. He surprised me by also carving "Alaska" into the tamper. As with all pipes in this set, a 49 is lasered on to the base to honor my home, the 49th State in the Union.

Again, my choice for a carver was obvious for this pipe. Josh Ronish with Dragon Briars has extensive experience with antler, and an amazing talent for taking complex pipe design and making them a reality with unrivaled accuracy and efficiency.

Ladies and Gents, the Josh Ronish Blacktail Cutty:

fb85bb1e-9d69-4c20-971b-5bca80f2fc1f.jpg
abe3b9a7-68ac-4056-a112-268ac3f09402.jpg
47c4da94-b0a3-4e82-83dc-c0c399a2c0d4.jpg
351faeaf-6b85-4629-8486-572944aa7146.jpg
494d2947-be78-4911-91dc-cc00b3e98f92.jpg
e4824011-6d2b-433e-968d-a01a497d2cca.jpg
blacktail.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The set is definitely a museum piece, once you' re done with enjoying it for smoking, or maybe you could "loan" it to the museum with an agreement that you have designated smoking privileges. With a little commentary supplied on the display card, it would be quite an attraction. Museums are always looking for something to liven up their holdings.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
The set is definitely a museum piece, once you' re done with enjoying it for smoking, or maybe you could "loan" it to the museum with an agreement that you have designated smoking privileges. With a little commentary supplied on the display card, it would be quite an attraction. Museums are always looking for something to liven up their holdings.

Bite your tongue! I'm trying to convince him to give them to me in his will! Little does he know, I've got a plan to expose the cost of this set to his wife shortly after having the clause added to the will, thereby transferring ownership to me nearly instantly!

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Another incredible pipe, @alaskanpiper. In my opinion, the only thing that can steal the spotlight from the pipes you've shown us, so far, is the depth of thought that has gone into the concepts, designs, and resulting products. These are truly remarkable, and the set will not only convey the rich history of our great state, but also your story from within it. I look forward to seeing and reading about the other four.

Until then, mum's the word.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Another incredible pipe, @alaskanpiper. In my opinion, the only thing that can steal the spotlight from the pipes you've shown us, so far, is the depth of thought that has gone into the concepts, designs, and resulting products. These are truly remarkable, and the set will not only convey the rich history of our great state, but also your story from within it. I look forward to seeing and reading about the other four.

Until then, mum's the word.
You're just waiting to cash in until the sets complete, you fiend.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
A fine idea. I'll have to ponder that after I smoke them a few.......hundred times, haha.

Reactions: weezell

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Absolutely stunning once again! So glad there are still 4 more to look forward to.

If you do will these to a museum, it should be with the stipulation that they be displayed in a rustic setting with your stuffed remains sitting there by the fire. The curator would just change the pipe in your mouth each day.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Absolutely stunning once again! So glad there are still 4 more to look forward to.

If you do will these to a museum, it should be with the stipulation that they be displayed in a rustic setting with your stuffed remains sitting there by the fire. The curator would just change the pipe in your mouth each day.
Hahaha, they are beautiful pipes. No need to ruin them with my ugly mug! The taxidermy on my fat ass would be cost preventative for the museum anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: weezell and brian64

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Fantastic! This is a fun thread, keep them coming.

Question...How much time is it taking for these pipes to be created from the time you contact the carver until they're finished?

Reactions: weezell and BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Fantastic! This is a fun thread, keep them coming.

Question...How much time is it taking for these pipes to be created from the time you contact the carver until they're finished?
Depends on the carver and their workload. I have had some finished from design to shipping in a matter of days, others have been in progress for nearly a month now. Many factors play into it. The need to source materials, the complexity of any accents or special features, the carver's existing workload and/or real job/family obligations. Even the current temperature of their shop can extend the process due to finish drying times and/or epoxy curing. It's a crap shoot.

If I had to put an average on it, i'd say it's usually 2-3 weeks between initial contact and a finished pipe.

Reactions: weezell and scloyd