SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

So what defines the grade?
Color, chroma, size of the leaf, uniformity, and a whole host of other characteristics. One of the hardest thing for people to grasp is that tobacco is not graded into Bad, good, better, best. It doesn't work that way. Every tobacco crop has a use, to some extent, but one being "better" than the rest has nothing to do with it. It's definitely not graded like a school, A - F.

I can't believe we are arguing the existence of Small Batches. I mean, if you don't want to try one, don't. It's just something different that is unique enough for C&D to decide that people might want to try it. Sure, sure, there's lots of other leaf out there, but I've damn near tried them all, all that I would be interested in trying, so a new blend that has something different about it, I'll give it a whirl.

No one is twisting your arm to buy it. There's no reason to feel guilty or anything for not trying it. But, in this world where a vast majority of people see no value in smoking and want to take that away from us, and with pending laws that might make small batches or even a new release of a tobacco impossible or way more expensive, either celebrate the Small Batches, or just let it pass by. If they had of made an aromatic Small Batch, there's no way in hell you could get me to give my money for a fruity tooty, but I wouldn't put it down. Heck, I've never bought one of their Christmas goopys, but I didn't harp on them for releasing one. If this were a chocolate, peanut butter blend, I wouldn't diss it, I'd just appreciate that people do smoke that sort of stuff. And, I'd be happy that someone could release something like that in today's anti smoking climate.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Color, chroma, size of the leaf, uniformity, and a whole host of other characteristics. One of the hardest thing for people to grasp is that tobacco is not graded into Bad, good, better, best. It doesn't work that way. Every tobacco crop has a use, to some extent, but one being "better" than the rest has nothing to do with it. It's definitely not graded like a school, A - F.

I can't believe we are arguing the existence of Small Batches. I mean, if you don't want to try one, don't. It's just something different that is unique enough for C&D to decide that people might want to try it. Sure, sure, there's lots of other leaf out there, but I've damn near tried them all, all that I would be interested in trying, so a new blend that has something different about it, I'll give it a whirl.

No one is twisting your arm to buy it. There's no reason to feel guilty or anything for not trying it. But, in this world where a vast majority of people see no value in smoking and want to take that away from us, and with pending laws that might make small batches or even a new release of a tobacco impossible or way more expensive, either celebrate the Small Batches, or just let it pass by. If they had of made an aromatic Small Batch, there's no way in hell you could get me to give my money for a fruity tooty, but I wouldn't put it down. Heck, I've never bought one of their Christmas goopys, but I didn't harp on them for releasing one. If this were a chocolate, peanut butter blend, I wouldn't diss it, I'd just appreciate that people do smoke that sort of stuff. And, I'd be happy that someone could release something like that in today's anti smoking climate.

d768db4f5b77db746a1b9d8624effe31.gif

I got my ten tins in. Smoked two bowls last night, ordered another ten tins. Sweet, tart and nutty with a faint but constant sort of airy floral element, the different leaf compliments and plays together near perfectly.
Right on, super excited now. If Hoos likes it, I know I'll love it. Fingers crossed that UPS brings it earlier than they say.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
For what their worth (considerably less than $.02, no doubt), here are my very preliminary first impressions as I'm finishing up my first bowl.

I like this a lot more than I thought I would. I am a Virginia guy first, and I think a lot of C&D burleys are harsh, bitter, and a bit too strong. Not this blend. Super smooth and very cool. The only thing that comes close to harshness is a bit of a tingle in the back of my throat and nose in the retrohale. However, to me it's a pleasant spiciness that is well-balanced and not distracting.

There's a low-key but consistent sweetness that compliments the nuttiness and earthiness. As a comparison, I think this is just a hair sweeter than HH Burley Flake, so not that sweet in objective terms. It's definitely not an aromatic. My guess is there's not top flavor, but there is a sweet casing of some kind. The nuttiness and earthiness are the main impression, but the sweet note does not get lost. To make another comparison to HH Burley Flake, this is a bit more complex in flavor,

I noticed the cocoa note all the way through, which is subtle and very natural.

I can't pick out the orientals distinctly, but I imagine they are contributing to both the sweetness and the nuttiness. I have not noticed any sour mustiness or incensy flavors I sometimes do with orientals.

As mentioned, it burns very cool. Lots of smoke is produced. There's no bite and even a deliberate over-puffing produced only a mild acrid flavor. However, I got significantly richer flavor when I really slowed it down.

This is a winner. It's a blend you could smoke all day, but it's rich enough to really savor after a meal with a cocktail. The nicotine strength was just barely noticeable to me (to calibrate that, I don't even notice a nicotine effect with most blends I smoke, with Barbary Coast and Erinmore Flake being the two I smoke that can and do hit me pretty hard).