PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Someone in another forum pointed out that the grade of red Virginia (SM2-18) used for this blend is the exactly the same as that used for last year’s run of Carolina Red Flake and CRF w/perique. Just wanted to pass this along, because the more you know….
It mentions that in the description on SP

OtcBastid

Lurker
May 19, 2021
It mentions that in the description on SP
So what defines the grade? Is it aged longer? sugar content etc...as much as I enjoy premium blends I am becoming jaded. It could very well be that I'll give up on all this boutique crap. How ironic considering I am a craft beer guy.

Carolina Red Flake was good but not marginally better than the standard Navy flake from C&D...I'm not getting too fanatical. Limited releases ought to be better than my OTC crap.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
So what defines the grade? Is it aged longer? sugar content etc...as much as I enjoy premium blends I am becoming jaded. It could very well be that I'll give up on all this boutique crap. How ironic considering I am a craft beer guy.

Carolina Red Flake was good but not marginally better than the standard Navy flake from C&D...I'm not getting too fanatical. Limited releases ought to be better than my OTC crap.
Some pipe smokers are good smoking a small selection of their favorites on a daily basis and thats fine. Small Batches arent geared for those people. If its not for you, no harm no foul.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
I'm not jaded. Using buzzwords and terms without any significant detail as to the process of what makes this tobacco better or limited is really just fluff to me. I enjoyed the Carolina Red Flake but also enjoyed Union Square just as much at a lower cost.
I have a feeling that having limited releases is just a good way to put out new blends every so often without taking up permanent space in the factory. They don't necessarily have to be better than anything else, which is subjective. The point is that they're just different, however slightly that might be. Theres a market and a demand for that, otherwise they wouldn't be doing them.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I have a feeling that having limited releases is just a good way to put out new blends every so often without taking up permanent space in the factory. They don't necessarily have to be better than anything else, which is subjective. The point is that they're just different, however slightly that might be. Theres a market and a demand for that, otherwise they wouldn't be doing them.

Hence, “Small Batch.”

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve always thought that the reason(s) behind these Small Batches, is no different as example, like blends from Esoterica or Gawith, that these C&D blends are simply limited sources of tabac, that are only produced in small quantity, or can be found.

That this is not necessarily a marketing ploy.

Then on the flip side of business sustainability and profits, etc., possibly another reason we constantly see this, a company that might not able to financially produce in greater volume, without taking losses.

Hmm ?

Last edited:

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I’ve always thought that the reason(s) behind these Small Batches, is no different as example, like blends from Esoterica or Gawith, that these C&D blends are simply limited sources of tabac, that are only produced in small quantity, or can be found.

That this is not necessarily a marketing ploy.

Then on the flip side of business sustainability and profits, etc., possibly another reason we constantly see this, a company that might not able to financially produce in greater volume, without taking losses.

Hmm ?

Of course. C&D is limited by scalability.

?