Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I found a tin in the wild Saturday evening. Several tins, really, but only one was mine. As I have far too many tins open right now, Eighth State will have to patiently wait its turn.

Looking back, maybe I was a bit suckered. I was talking to the nice gentleman behind the counter about it, was it worth trying, what did other customers say. The guy behind me had all 10 cans they had out. So the employee walks around the counter to the guy, takes one of his tins, and finally tells me if I want a tin, here it is. If not, it's that guy's. After making sure dude isn't going to be waiting for me in the parking lot ("Son, I got their last 10. If you getting this will keep another youngster (I'm 41) smoking a pipe, ok.) I walked out with it.

If it doesn't work, I'm going to mix the tin with Lane 1Q just to spite people.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Seems like they led people on, making it out to be a more natural tobacco-forward blend, only to be doused in toppings/casings? ?‍♂️

I don't think anyone was misled intentionally. However, blend descriptions can be deceptive. I can't tell you how many times I bought a tin thinking the flavor profile would be one way only to have it go the other way. Nothing super extreme mind you, but oftentimes blends that seem to be in the same camp as other favs of mine taste entirely different.

Best recent example of this is with Savinelli 145th that C&D blended. I went deep on this one based on the description and early reviews and while I like it it is nothing like I was expecting it almost tastes like an aromatic to me.

Savinelli 145th - Handcrafted in partnership with Cornell & Diehl, Savinelli's 145th Anniversary blend is a unique, cake-cut Virginia/Perique mixture designed to showcase the marque's Italian heritage. Spicy, piquant Perique elevates a base of matured Bright and Red Virginias, enhanced by double-fermented Dark-Fired Kentucky from the Tuscan Tiber Valley region of Italy – a location recognized for its 300-year history of tobacco cultivation. Redolent with notes of chocolate, dark fruits, and a hint of citrus, Savinelli's 145th Anniversary is a distinctive Va/Per with excellent balance, its underlying smokiness pairing exceptionally well with a caffè ristretto.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Seems like they led people on, making it out to be a more natural tobacco-forward blend, only to be doused in toppings/casings? ?‍♂️

Haven't gotten mine yet, mind you. Just speculation from the first few reviews I read at TR
I think that lots of reviews on TR are nothing more than initial impressions after maybe not even a full bowl. There are really only a handful of people on that site that I take seriously

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I picked up 10x tins that arrived over the weekend.

I've been surprised at the hum-ho reviews over at tobaccoreviews.
I know the quality of the reviews on TR varies substantially but you’d never guess that any of the current reviews are talking about the same blend.

Makes me curious to pop a tin but I think I’ll let it meld for a few months first.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Smoked another bowl. What the hay. I almost never smoke the same blend twice in a row. This stuff is something else. Good stuff and hope to see it released again - it appears to scratch a similar itch that Pegasus does, though is a completely different treatment of Burley.
Took me a few bowls to realize how much this blend has going for it. C&D did a good job on this one.