PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Oh yeah I am a video game junkie. Just wanted to say one more thing. My favorites are games that can be played through a few times with different builds or story elements. The simplistic example is nice Shepard and mean Shepard in Mass Effect. Trying to play fallout new vegas as a neutral middle of the road disinterested just trying to do my own thing guy was extra fun and rewarding (recommend stealing things until you get back to neutral.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No, generationally I guess. Long ago, I played one of the early versions. I can't remember if it was Nintendo or Atari or what; my in-laws had it. The relationship between the action on the screen and my input with the controls felt completely unrelated, and that somewhat killed my interest in other opportunities to play video games. Besides which, I like physical feedback. I'd rather hit the wastebasket with balled up paper than have a similar experience in a virtual context.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Don't play much these days but I worked at an arcade in 2000-'01 while I was in college. I was all about 2D Fighters. I'll still take anybody in Marvel vs Capcom 2 or any version of Street Fighter! I do occasionally entertain challenges from my 13 and 6 year old boys whenever they feel like catching a beatdown.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
I was a member (dwarf-priest healer) of a raiding guild in WOW for probably good three years, at some point we were number 5-6 on a server. It was great, but after while its became so time consuming and intensive, almost giving me a feeling of a full time job, then guild started slowly crumbling... and so on. I didn't play for the last 5-6 years.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
It was great, but after while its became so time consuming and intensive, almost giving me a feeling of a full time job, then guild started slowly crumbling... and so on. I didn't play for the last 5-6 years.
I never tried that game. And you hit the nail on the head as far as why goes, the people who tried to get me to join always sounded like they were talking about work and not a game. I have to be on the computer at seven and go help kill this thing.... I'd rather watch t.v. but....

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I was a member (dwarf-priest healer) of a raiding guild in WOW for probably good three years, at some point we were number 5-6 on a server. It was great, but after while its became so time consuming and intensive, almost giving me a feeling of a full time job, then guild started slowly crumbling... and so on. I didn't play for the last 5-6 years.

I too joined a top raiding guild on my server some years ago in WOW after years of casual but committed raiding and it was fun for awhile (Dwarf Paladin). It just became so time consuming and while we were making progress I just wasn't impressed enough with those people to continue committing so much the to the digital world.

I had much more fun casually raiding with my IRL friends I played with and the scrubs we brought along.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
On the other hand, I have an intense hatred of the Divinity games, my best friend who is also a gamer just tells me I am bad, but I can't help it. I tried to play them, I even tried to like them, but they are the closest I've gotten to smashing something since the time we were playing competitive Street Fighter 2, Super Mario Kart, and Super Bomberman. I won't try to say anything about them because a lot of people rate them very high, but they are not for me at all.

Whenever I think I'm winning a 45 minute carefully planned battle only to have a giant kraken appear and one shot my entire party can I understand why some wouldn't care for this game. It's just that the story writing, superior voice acting and sometimes truly bizarre situations the player is met with make it worth attempting some of the most difficult battles several times. The experience is like playing a chess game and having your opponent rearrange all the pieces on you.

The developer of this game is working on a Balder's Gate release. I can't wait to throw my money at that one.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Hm, I loved Baldur's Gate, and Planescape: Torment is in my top 3 of all time due to the story, the writing and the bizarre situations. I hope the D:OS developers don't mess it up...

P.S. I threw my money at Torment: Tides of Numenera and couldn't be bothered with it at all.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Hm, I loved Baldur's Gate, and Planescape: Torment is in my top 3 of all time due to the story, the writing and the bizarre situations. I hope the D:OS developers don't mess it up...

P.S. I threw my money at Torment: Tides of Numenera and couldn't be bothered with it at all.
Planscape is awesome. All cause of the story and the weirdness. Just started playing that one not too long ago. I like the little subplots of trying to find insults so Morte learns more about insulting people. Seriously in those games you sometimes mine for insults just for fun, but to incorporate it into gameplay is just great.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Just wanted to tell you guys that in Outer Worlds I named my character Glemba Nervbirde. It's always important to be able to entertain yourself.

A fellow Pipe smoking youtuber some of you may be familiar with by the name of Bradley(STUFFnTHINGS), will be doing a playthrough of that game soon, if anyone's interested.

Reactions: Bowie

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
A fellow Pipe smoking youtuber some of you may be familiar with by the name of Bradley(STUFFnTHINGS), will be doing a playthrough of that game soon, if anyone's interested.
Personally I hate that stuff. Watching other people play video games, well at least before I am done with them. Then it's fun. So not sure how long it is or how far I am in the game yet.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How is Death Stranding? It seems very unique for lack of a better word. I have been on the fence about buying that one.
Actually regretting paying full price for it. It's a high budget walking simulator.