PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I was an original Atari 2600 kid from about 1983 until enlisting in the army in 1986. I also pumped an insane amount of quarters into coin-op arcade games in the 80's. Galaga, Spy Hunter, Ms. Pacman, Battle Zone, etc, etc...

Around 1992, I got my first computer, a 286SX with MS-DOS 5. Anyone remember Leisure Suit Larry? ?‍?

In 1995, I entered the pinball phase, infatuated with the mighty Theatre Of Magic.

Some time around 2000, I visited my sister for a week. She had gotten a PS2 and we played Midnight Club 2, Dub Edition for about 30 hours straight, leading me to get one. Around the same time, I got into Diablo 2 which claimed a solid decade of my life.

After my surgery in last June, I picked up a more capable computer to fight boredom and installed Path Of Exile, which is my current time sink.

I'm thinking of digging out some older stuff that I miss playing, like MechWarrior3. I just picked up Age Of Empires 3 for $3 and might give that a whirl.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I was an original Atari 2600 kid from about 1983 until enlisting in the army in 1986. I also pumped an insane amount of quarters into coin-op arcade games in the 80's. Galaga, Spy Hunter, Ms. Pacman, Battle Zone, etc, etc...

Around 1992, I got my first computer, a 286SX with MS-DOS 5. Anyone remember Leisure Suit Larry? ?‍?

In 1995, I entered the pinball phase, infatuated with the mighty Theatre Of Magic.

Some time around 2000, I visited my sister for a week. She had gotten a PS2 and we played Midnight Club 2, Dub Edition for about 30 hours straight, leading me to get one. Around the same time, I got into Diablo 2 which claimed a solid decade of my life.

After my surgery in last June, I picked up a more capable computer to fight boredom and installed Path Of Exile, which is my current time sink.

I'm thinking of digging out some older stuff that I miss playing, like MechWarrior3. I just picked up Age Of Empires 3 for $3 and might give that a whirl.

View attachment 11785

Leisure Suit Larry!!! OMG yes! rotf I’d forgotten that game. How could I?

AOE3 is amazing. I remember missing work playing it. I had to uninstall it and have my wife hide the CD — not joking!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA

View attachment 11785

Yeah, I remember Leisure Suit Larry. LOL

If you're ever in the Bay Area, there is a great Pinball Museum with a ton of playable machines in Alameda, right next to Oakland. It's awesome.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Oh yeah, gamer since the late 80s. Started with a Nintendo NES, proceeded to SNES where I found my niche with RPGs, especially the Japanese variety (Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy 2 & 3, Chrono Trigger).

Then around 1998 we got a respectable-ish PC at home and I got into Baldur's Gate 1&2, Planescape: Torment, Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls 2), Morrowind, Warcraft 2&3, Starcraft, Half Life.

Then in 2000 I went to university where a) I couldn't afford a PC of my own and b) I discovered what I was missing with regards to the opposite sex. Not that I had any great success, but I had some! Then around 2005 I got some money, bought a PC and caught the MMORPG bug, and the heroin addiction that is World of Warcraft. I played that pretty hardcore until 2009 where I lost interest and joy to where the game was going.

Then I didn't really play anything until 2010 when Starcraft 2 and its expansions came out, played that, liked it but was never good at playing vs other players so naturally the single player game had a limited time before it became stale. I tried quite a few other games at that time but nothing worked for me so I started using emulators to play my favourite old NES and SNES games.

I played minecraft beta for a long time, and still got an account where I go in when I want to really chill out.

Until the Witcher 3 came out, which I picked up at around 2017, as well as its expansions Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. Oh my, what a game, what a story, depth, CARE and LOVE put into making it. I've never been to Poland, and will visit at some point because I had several Polish friends over the years in the UK, but I'd fly to Poland just to visit CD Projekt Red's offices and give them all big handshakes. This is an RPG made from old school RPGers, for old school RPGers. Of course, being based on a series of novels it has a set story that you can't deviate from, you can't make your own story, but that story is solid. It is the details that make this game stand out, the care that went into making it really comes through. I'd say the Witcher 3 tips its hat to the greats that shaped me as a gamer and as a person

But still, The Witcher was a good couple of months of gaming at most. I have installed it from time to time but can't get into it again.

Now, in August Blizzard released World of Warcraft classic. I'd said, for years, that I'd give one of my testes to play the original World of Warcraft on a non-pirate server, however 2019 is not 2005, I am married with two kids and a very demanding job, so my gaming time is a couple of hours on Saturday and Sunday, but I am still enjoying it despite Blizzard's, and the community's messups.

What are my top games? These are the games I would, and have, feign sickness to stay home and play them, it is a short list.

• Final Fantasy 3
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Minecraft
  • World of Warcraft
  • Witcher 3