PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's one of the most popular genres.
That's terrible. What happened to third person action,adventure, or horror titles? It looks like Death Stranding is made of remnants of what was left of a new Silent Hill title before Konami had its meltdown. Would have loved another one of those.?

Reactions: twoonefive

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
I used to play a lot more than i do. Most recently i have played a lot of Elite Dangerous and Skyrim Special Edition.
Got disgusted with ED after one of the recent patches all but broke the game and havent been back. My squadmates probably wonder what happend to me.

Played a lot of quake and quake 2 online, I was pretty good, sadly the twitch muscles and reaction time arent what they used to be.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ever since my daughter was born 7 years ago, I barely play any games. Every great once and a while I would sneak a few hours of GTA while she was sleeping. Last year I bought her Minecraft. And she absolutely fell in love with it. So much that I bought it for myself so I could play it with her. So that's kind of our thing when we have downtime. Father daughter Minecraft lol.

And I've been a fan of The Sims ever since it came out. Owned every version.

I have never been a gaming guy. I always thought of time wasted on games so I stopped playing them.

But there were few games that spoke to my heart so I finished them.
First was Duke Nukem that came with my first PC back in '98:) Then Dune and UFO.

Oh, and few advantures of Leisure Suit Larry :) Even bought Android game when it came out a few years back (it's cheap and worth playing for nostalgia reasons at least, and it's fun!)

Fall in love with Final Fantasy VIII - that story!
Later it was Serious Sam - pure fun!

And lastly The Witcher III after a loooong break (I want to replay it in nearest future). It's best game in my books so far!

I try different games from time to time but it's mostly like 3-4 evenings and I get bored.

Reactions: whsergent

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
games are like books for me, I always have one open. Currently it's Mario vs Rabbids Kingdom Battle, which is pretty much a Ubisoft/Nintendo take on Xcom. Loving it.

I also really like Japanese rpgs. The turn based battle lends itself to a more relaxed play style that suits smoking a pipe.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
We bought are 6 year old grandson a Nintendo Switch Light for Christmas. Our daughter and son-in-law agreed to the Switch because it's handheld and doesn't hook up to the TV. Anyway, I played Mario Kart 8 on it a few times...it was fun.

Reactions: whsergent
Jan 8, 2013
I've recently played through The Outer Worlds, Call Of Duty WWII, Skyrim (remastered PS4 version), Red Dead Redemption, all of the Batman Arkham games, Ride 3, Project Cars 2, The Last Of Us (remastered), Jedi Fallen Order. Currently playing Ace Combat 7, Nascar Heat 3, Ghost Recon:Wildlands. Eagerly awaiting the remake of Final Fantasy 7 and I think my next one will be Greedfall. Yeah.... I play video games :)

Reactions: python

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've recently played through The Outer Worlds, Call Of Duty WWII, Skyrim (remastered PS4 version), Red Dead Redemption, all of the Batman Arkham games, Ride 3, Project Cars 2, The Last Of Us (remastered), Jedi Fallen Order. Currently playing Ace Combat 7, Nascar Heat 3, Ghost Recon:Wildlands. Eagerly awaiting the remake of Final Fantasy 7 and I think my next one will be Greedfall. Yeah.... I play video games :)
And you still haven't played Nier Automata.

Reactions: python

Slacey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 13, 2020
Telford, UK
www.youtube.com
Late to the thread but yeah, in for the long haul. Started with the Atari 2600, through pretty much every console going (not a PC gamer at all) to the PS4 Pro I spend most time on now. One of my early jobs out of school was a QA tester for US Gold, my dream job, but it didn't last as they moved across country. RPG's are my go to usually, currently working through Borderlands 3 and Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I spend more time playing video games than any other hobby or activity even age 48 - could say I'm addicted!

Aug 1, 2012
Just bought a new system and am waiting for it to ship. I usually hate pre-built systems but as I'm in India I don't have much choice. I was originally going with an AMD build for sentimental reasons but ran across an ASUS ROG tower with a Core i7-9700K processor and a middling graphics card for under $1200. The only thing that NEEDS changing is the RAM and that's cheap here. I should probably have waited and spent the $1800+ but I can still switch out the video card, upgrade the RAM and stick a better hard drive in for a fraction of that price. I'll end up with a better system out of the deal too.

All-in-all a winning situation and I'll finally get back in the "game" so to speak.

Jun 27, 2016
Been having some fun with my "retro" setup lately,
here are some titles that I still enjoy.
IMG_2140.JPG

It helps to print out a map with shops & districts labeled for Shenmue 2
(not my drawing) :
PBjPQoi.jpg

PS1 games running on a PS3, the setting for graphics smoothing really helps.
IMG_2141.JPG

Dug out my Front Mission 3 strategy guide. I've beaten this without it back in the day, then I bought the guide to play through again with a better handle on how to use the computer to set up for combo attacks etc., & never got around to it until I guess now. The game will let you play through again with all of your learned skills if you've beaten it once, but I don't think I can move my old save-file from a PS1 memory card to PS3, so I've started from scratch, & it's still a lot of fun to play this game! The PS3 graphics smoothing makes a huge difference. Some of the in-game rendered cut-scenes between missions are tough to watch due to some bad graphics, but I had the same complaint back in the day. They look a lot better on the PS3 with the smoothing turned on, & the rendered still pics & rendered FMV still look really good. My only new minor complaint so far is that the analog stick doesn't work when running on PS3, but it really doesn't matter for this type of game.
IMG_2144.JPG

Some PS2 & from a more current era, PS3 titles.
BF3's still online, although there are definitely hackers.
IMG_2142.JPG

Some old-school pirate stuff. You would plug the "Gold Finger" into the PS1's parallel port & stick a spring in the door-pin so you could swap discs after booting on a proper game. That thing was tough to get back in the day.
IMG_2143.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 0

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I too am late to this thread, but was always a nintendo kid of the N64 generation, so Zelda Zelda, Mario 64, golden eye. Eventually got into to pc gaming and things like the Half-Life series. Recently my wife and I have been playing though the Myst games starting with the original. Anyone in here ever try those? Excellent puzzle games with beautiful scenery and decent story line, though some of the puzzles can be a bit finicky if you miss only little clue, but that’s what guides are for!