PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bradical

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2018
Well, you're saving potentially hundreds of dollars by not buying briars, so no, I'd say you're not a schmuck. I've spent more on pipes than tobacco, and I have questioned if I did the right thing. Sometimes I would have been served better by just buying cobs and maybe one or two briars in the beginning as I'm not getting as much ROI on the briars as I anticipated.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I love corn cob pipes. The corn cob part is great but I can put a hole or crack a corn cob mouthpiece in just a couple smokes. Wish they would come out with some better acrylic for corn cobs.

Reactions: anotherbob

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
No, not a Schmuck at all. Cobs represent the best value in pipe smoking, and you'll save a ton of cash buying them over briars, which you can them promptly spend on more tobacco.

I have one cob, and 15-20 briars, so my preference is obvious, but to each their own. Everyone should smoke what makes them happy.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I owned a cob for a couple of weeks then chucked it. I smoke nothing but briar pipes as I prefer a pipe that you can build a nice cake in. I don't even like a the couple of meers I own which are IMP and SMS. I think they burn hot and no where near as good as my broken in briars. I will have to admit that almost everyone of my pipes is an artisan made pipe done by some very talented people. These are what I prefer to smoke as I get a nice dry ,cool, flavorful smoke every time. I am also a freak about my stems(yes I have issues). I only like Ebonite stems made by hand from the best German Ebonite. I also like them thin and certain shapes so they fit my teeth when I clench. I know, you are thinking to yourself this can't be so difficult, this shouldn't be so technical. I am sorry to say it is no picnic learning to smoke a pipe. Grab a nice Savinelli no filers or adapters and get a tin of tobacco from a few genres. I live straight Virginia Flakes, Virginia/Perique flakes and Virginia/Kentucky flakes. I say learn all you can on flakes and then dive head first into the deep end of the pool.

I also am a nut job with my tobacco as I only smoke flakes and plugs and one rope. It took me only 12 years or so before I learned about why I loved certain makers and I learned I couldn't smoke red virginia's Pipe smoking is for the patient but luckily you have this place as we all do our best to answer question from new folks. It will take time and help from others to find what makes you love your pipes and tobacco. This is an art nothing like smoking a cigar or cigarette. When you do succeed and have that first great smoke, you will want to thank me properly, maybe an Aston Martin Vantage would work.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Heh. Pretty much mechanized now, from field prep to planting, fertilizing, pest control, harvesting which usually includes shucking before the corn is blown into trucks.

I'd not be surprised if MM does some hand shucking, but I'd be surprised if all their crop received such treatment.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
So as a new pipe smoker I see a lot of people recommending corn cob pipes for a cheap alternative to see if you like the hobby. I also see them as people having some as a change up of normal briar pipes. Having been smoking nothing but cobs the past months, I smoked a briar for the first time and actually did NOT enjoy it. The flavor was not what I was used to.
My question is, is it just because I’m new to pipe smoking or is it an actual thing to prefer corn cobs all the time? Does preferring the corn cob pipe experience, flavor and price make me a shmuck? I would be interested to hear if there are any people here who mostly smoke corn cobs.
Last thing I will add, I do
Enjoy this as a hobby and not just for utilitarian purposes. But it seems like briar pipes are the “end goal” of every pipe smoker.
Thanks

Love your Avatar. Highly under rated series ??

Reactions: Nhassey48