PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Nhassey48

Lurker
Sep 21, 2020
Edwards, CA
So as a new pipe smoker I see a lot of people recommending corn cob pipes for a cheap alternative to see if you like the hobby. I also see them as people having some as a change up of normal briar pipes. Having been smoking nothing but cobs the past months, I smoked a briar for the first time and actually did NOT enjoy it. The flavor was not what I was used to.
My question is, is it just because I’m new to pipe smoking or is it an actual thing to prefer corn cobs all the time? Does preferring the corn cob pipe experience, flavor and price make me a shmuck? I would be interested to hear if there are any people here who mostly smoke corn cobs.
Last thing I will add, I do
Enjoy this as a hobby and not just for utilitarian purposes. But it seems like briar pipes are the “end goal” of every pipe smoker.
Thanks

Last edited:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
On a serious note, flavour is a highly subjective thing. Yes, it's possible you got too used to a given instrument and now anything else tastes odd. Like drinking nothing but gin and then having tequila and going pfui!

Taste also depends on other factors besides the tool: which blend, types of tobacco, environmental factors, even cleanliness of the pipe (cake? ugh!).

You need to get acquainted with good briar pipes and get used to differences in taste, not just among pipes but also among blends. Some genres just taste better in a cob, apparently. They say that cobs are just the thing for burleys, whereas I've hear that latakia sings in a morta pipe.

Up to you: If you're content to smoke nothing but cobs and just can't stand briar, then just smoke nothing but cobs.

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
I have several Cobs that I use strictly for my Aromatic tobaccos. Now for my strong flavors such as Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, HH ODF, Peterson's Irish Flake etc. I use my briar pipes. I don't want the ghosting to occur from the aromatics in my briars, so I never smoke the aromatics in them. Now when I do find an aromatic that I fall in love with I will find one of my briars and will smoke the aros in it, and will dedicate it to that particular blend. I have yet to find one though. Perhaps one day you will find that Briar pipe that you fall in love with then your mind will change!

Nhassey48

Lurker
Sep 21, 2020
Edwards, CA
On a serious note, flavour is a highly subjective thing. Yes, it's possible you got too used to a given instrument and now anything else tastes odd. Like drinking nothing but gin and then having tequila and going pfui!

Taste also depends on other factors besides the tool: which blend, types of tobacco, environmental factors, even cleanliness of the pipe (cake? ugh!).

You need to get acquainted with good briar pipes and get used to differences in taste, not just among pipes but also among blends. Some genres just taste better in a cob, apparently. They say that cobs are just the thing for burleys, whereas I've hear that latakia sings in a morta pipe.

Up to you: If you're content to smoke nothing but cobs and just can't stand briar, then just smoke nothing but cobs.
Yea. Just the cost of them seems like a expensive thing to try and force. Granted, I forced myself to smoke a pipe until I found blends that I actually enjoyed

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I have about ten MM cobs, one Dominion cob, and about eighty other pipes, mostly briar, but one Meer, about six Mountain Laurel, one cocobolo and a clay or three. If you like cobs only, that's fine. I highly recommend the special edition MM cobs that come with acrylic stems, often about $24.99, for their durability and comfort. I tend to chew through the basic stock stems.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
You're not doing it wrong until you start acting like those murderous corn cult kids in Children Of The Corn ... a great film based on a short story originally published in the March 1977 issue of Penthouse magazine.

MV5BMDg3OTc2OTQtZDA0My00YTJiLTg3ZTYtOGYwZWM1NWVhZDdiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Over the years I have found 'preferred' bowl materials, bowl shape, bowl size, stem materials, draft hole size, bit, tobacco moisture, tobacco blend choice/cut and packing technique all matter, but none of these things bear as much weight as the accumulation of experience. 10,000 hours. Report back when you are through.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Over the years I have found 'preferred' bowl materials, bowl shape, bowl size, stem materials, draft hole size, bit, tobacco moisture, tobacco blend choice/cut and packing technique all matter, but none of these things bear as much weight as the accumulation of experience. 10,000 hours. Report back when you are through.
Does thirty years count?