PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
Blending and the marketing of those blends has never been a fully transparent thing. Some companies more so than others, sure.

As much as it pains me to say (HA!), BROBS is basically correct here. Being sensitive to a component is one thing, but being allergic to one grade of VA and not others is probably not a thing.

I don't think that anyone here (maybe anywhere) has done enough research to say definitively one way or the other on the allergies bit; all the information that I've seen is based on raw tobacco leaves and whether or not one is allergic to tobacco/nicotine generally, not comparing varietals/curing methods. I am, however, 100% sure that we all smoke a good amount of undisclosed components. You don't like Burley? I bet you're smoking it all the time. Can't handle Red Virginia? It's probably in many of the blends you smoke, even if it isn't specifically mentioned in the description. That's how this works and with very few exceptions, we don't know everything about the blends we enjoy. And that's okay!

Just smoke things and decide if you like them. Trying to pin a physical reaction on something as ubiquitous as Burley or a certain grade of Virginia won't leave you with many options.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Blending and the marketing of those blends has never been a fully transparent thing. Some companies more so than others, sure.

As much as it pains me to say (HA!), BROBS is basically correct here. Being sensitive to a component is one thing, but being allergic to one grade of VA and not others is probably not a thing.

I don't think that anyone here (maybe anywhere) has done enough research to say definitively one way or the other on the allergies bit; all the information that I've seen is based on raw tobacco leaves and whether or not one is allergic to tobacco/nicotine generally, not comparing varietals/curing methods. I am, however, 100% sure that we all smoke a good amount of undisclosed components. You don't like Burley? I bet you're smoking it all the time. Can't handle Red Virginia? It's probably in many of the blends you smoke, even if it isn't specifically mentioned in the description. That's how this works and with very few exceptions, we don't know everything about the blends we enjoy. And that's okay!

Just smoke things and decide if you like them. Trying to pin a physical reaction on something as ubiquitous as Burley or a certain grade of Virginia won't leave you with many options.
EVEN SHANE IRELAND DOGS ON THE BROBS

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
But the whole plant contains oxalic acid, the leaves just more so. If you were allergic it wouldn’t matter whether you ate the leaf or stalk.
Dunno. I was just injecting interesting food trivia since I don't have much to contribute to this conversation...

There are some blends to which I seem to have a sensitivity, but there are too many variables to determine why that might be. I simply take note of the blend and approach it with caution at a later date to determine if it was a one time or ongoing thing. Even though I have identified a few blends that don't agree with me I have yet to really figured out why or an explicit commonality between them. I don't loose sleep over this.

Another fun food fact: Cashews are poisonous until processed. Even "raw" cashews are actually slightly steamed.

Last edited:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Dunno. I was just injecting interesting food trivia since I don't have much to contribute to this conversation...

There are some blends to which I seem to have a sensitivity, but there are too many variables to determine why that might be. I simply take note of the blend and approach it with caution at a later date to determine if it was a one time or ongoing thing. Even though I have identified a few blends that don't agree with me I have yet to really figured out why or an explicit commonality between them. I don't loose sleep over this.

Another fun food fact: Cashews are poisonous until processed. Even "raw" cashews are actually slightly steamed.
Right. I totally agree about the sensitivity with certain blends etc.. but I’ve found it’s less about the type of tobacco and more about that specific blend, whatever it is. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.