PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Like you guys are getting hung up on the wrong thing. I’m not saying it doesn’t affect someone, but that it’s not an allergy. Anymore than someone getting tongue bite from burley.

Reactions: rajangan

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Is called tongue bite
LOL

We all know what it's called. We're just unsure of the exact cause.

In my case I suspect it's a chemical irritation, perhaps an acid of some sort. I'm aging some straight reds since I also suspect fresh reds are worse so aging might allow for enough chemical change to make a difference.

I only ever seem to have an issue with fresh, straight reds. For everything else, it might feel like tongue bite while smoking but it quickly subsides and changes to my tongue feeling like it's wearing a fur coat (I picture a bug's bunny cartoon when I say that).

Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
A sun burn: allergy to the sun
Drowning: allergy to water
Careful @BROBS...”I’m not a smart man, but I do know what an allergy is.” Yes it is stipulated that an over abundance at anything could cause an “allergy”. I suppose I could technically be allergic to ice cream if I sit in the couch all day and consume massive amounts to the point where I’m Gluttony presented in the ? Se7en. ?☕

Reactions: BROBS

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I have nothing more than anecdotal tidbits ...I love Red Va's, loooove em. I do notice that if I smoke them frequently for a couple weeks I will become sensitive in the nose/get a burning feeling, and have to give em a couple days. I have no idea why, I just notice this seems to happen with reds.

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
LOL

We all know what it's called. We're just unsure of the exact cause.

In my case I suspect it's a chemical irritation, perhaps an acid of some sort. I'm aging some straight reds since I also suspect fresh reds are worse so aging might allow for enough chemical change to make a difference.

I only ever seem to have an issue with fresh, straight reds. For everything else, it might feel like tongue bite while smoking but it quickly subsides and changes to my tongue feeling like it's wearing a fur coat (I picture a bug's bunny cartoon when I say that).
Orlik golden sliced is a lot of red VA. What other blends you smoke? Probably mostly red VA

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
It is possible to be allergic to a plant based on how it is processed.

For example, a person can be allergic to strawberries but not after they've been frozen.

The allergy might be to a specific enzyme within the plant and the enzyme may be destroyed by various processes.

This. And different enzymes may or may not be present in the organism based on several variables. Different environmental conditions can trigger various microbiological responses in plant species. Resulting chemicals may or may not remain in the organism throughout the processing and smoking process.

Same species grown in different locations may have drastically different concentrations of various chemicals. A true allergy to any of those would subsequently be worsened/lessened in accordance with that concentration based on exposure.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
This. And different enzymes may or may not be present in the organism based on several variables. Different environmental conditions can trigger various microbiological responses in plant species. Resulting chemicals may or may not remain in the organism throughout the processing and smoking process.

Same species grown in different locations may have drastically different concentrations of various chemicals. A true allergy to any of those would subsequently be worsened/lessened in accordance with that concentration based on exposure.
This is why old Italian men beat their young broccolini plants with a stick.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
You can’t be.

unless you’re allergic to all VA tobacco? It all comes off the same plant.

new term for those “allergic” to red VA: “sensitives”
Glad I do not have this horrible sounding problem because red VAs are the shit! I have started getting seasonal allergies, though, and they are decidedly not the shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.