PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
I have some issues with Red Va dominated blends from McClelland, C&D, and Mac Baren, such as HH Pure Virginia, though I can still enjoy them. It is no allergy, but I am the sensitive type. .—.

However, why are we assuming that all red VA leaf produced around the world is the same. I seem to do better with non-American VA leaf, though I am fine American red leaf mixed in with other tobaccos.

Reactions: BROBS

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
While allergy is probably the wrong term, something gives some people a reaction to red virginia. Processing, casing, terroir, chemistry. I don't really care to question it, myself being unaffected.
Isn't it all poison anyway?
At least my favorites are ;)
And you're all allergic to Gawith Hoggarth by the way.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I am just glad I learned about red virginias and my problem with them so I could build my cellar in 2012. I have made a couple mistakes out of the 43 blends in my cellar. Not big ones luckily but I am just glad I have a rotation that is as diverse as it is.
Right. I’m just saying that it seems to be only some reds. Or reds with less other leaf blended in.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Tell that to the tomato plant. Toxicity of the leaves depends on when and where they are cut from.
Not too mention the chemical reaction that happens within a tobacco leaf after the plant has either been allowed to flower or has been topped. Bearing in mind bright leaf can also be harvested by priming leaves as they mature instead of stalking the whole plant at once. Leaves that are categorised as ‘red’ would be picked last, after all of the different headings have been removed. The extra time on the plant, as well as being the only leaves left would influence their chemical make up.

As mentioned above, “red Virginia as a product” has been processed (ageing, pressure, blending, case - moisture, casing etc), and then also impacted by consumer storage and smoking style, all culminating in the properties of the smoke as it is drawn into the mouth.

I am highly sensitive to smoking red Virginia as whole leaf, straight or blended. I can however manage the reaction by cadence and tongue placement, and a heavy dose of high alkaline leaf in a blend. In fact I sometimes enjoy the slight bite/tang that it can bring to a blend when used condimentally.

The room note and pouch note of “red Virginia products”, thinking along lines of sutliff krumble kake or their stoved red ribbon, makes me want to puke.

Much of this thread appears to be about semantics. I’m happy if someone uses the term allergy to describe an intense, instant and unmanageable discomfort caused by a higher ratio of red va in a blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.