Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Good discussion going on guys. I have a few books on tobacco at home, but I am at work so I can't go too in depth knowledgeably, but I'll throw this bit of info out there.

Virginia Tobacco
Virginias are the king of tobaccos and the very crop our country was built on. As you may have already deduced from the name, it was originally grown in well-known VA Plantations. Today, Virginia tobaccos are grown not only in VA but also eastern NC, northeastern SC, and, indeed, around the world. The term "Old Belt" is an appellation and refers to Virginias grown in VA and NC.

Virginias are primarily classified by their color, and while the exact nuance of hue lends itself to a vast array of categorizations, think "red" and "bright". The relative location of a given leaf on its stalk is what ultimately determines its color; the brights come from the middle of the stalk, and the reds originate from higher up to the tips. While all Virginias are sweet, the further a leaf moves toward the lighter side of the color spectrum, the sweeter it becomes, but along with that sweetness comes additional acidity and hints of citrus-like tartness. As we move towards progressively darkening colors, along with an increasing depth of flavor comes a taste that shifts to something akin to baking bread.

The highlighted portion (Blue text) is the part that I'm going to refer to.

Since Red Virginias have a higher acidity content than the darker Virginias, maybe the acidity is what some people are allergic to. Not the plant itself per se, but the acidity that is found in that part of the plant. So in essence, they may be allergic to Red Virginias not because of the plant, but because of the acids that are IN that part of the plant makes them allergic to that specific part of the plant.

Full Disclaimer: I am not an allergy doctor. Heck I'm not a doctor of any type.
Although I do play one at home sometimes ?.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
So if you drink orange juice and get a raw mouth is it an allergy?

I don’t think what is happening with smoking red VA is an allergy.
In the case of orange juice I would first suspect an issue with acidity as it is much more common.

On the other hand, if other citrus juices never caused any issues further investigation might be warranted.

Reactions: BROBS

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Good discussion going on guys. I have a few books on tobacco at home, but I am at work so I can't go too in depth knowledgeably, but I'll throw this bit of info out there.

Virginia Tobacco
Virginias are the king of tobaccos and the very crop our country was built on. As you may have already deduced from the name, it was originally grown in well-known VA Plantations. Today, Virginia tobaccos are grown not only in VA but also eastern NC, northeastern SC, and, indeed, around the world. The term "Old Belt" is an appellation and refers to Virginias grown in VA and NC.

Virginias are primarily classified by their color, and while the exact nuance of hue lends itself to a vast array of categorizations, think "red" and "bright". The relative location of a given leaf on its stalk is what ultimately determines its color; the brights come from the middle of the stalk, and the reds originate from higher up to the tips. While all Virginias are sweet, the further a leaf moves toward the lighter side of the color spectrum, the sweeter it becomes, but along with that sweetness comes additional acidity and hints of citrus-like tartness. As we move towards progressively darkening colors, along with an increasing depth of flavor comes a taste that shifts to something akin to baking bread.

The highlighted portion (Blue text) is the part that I'm going to refer to.

Since Red Virginias have a higher acidity content than the darker Virginias, maybe the acidity is what some people are allergic to. Not the plant itself per se, but the acidity that is found in that part of the plant. So in essence, they may be allergic to Red Virginias not because of the plant, but because of the acids that are IN that part of the plant makes them allergic to that specific part of the plant.

Full Disclaimer: I am not an allergy doctor. Heck I'm not a doctor of any type.
Although I do play one at home sometimes ?.

That’s what’s going on. I mean, maybe not THAT specifically, but it’s likely a component of the leaf that’s present in reds and not in others.

If you’re allergic to garlic and I serve you spaghetti without garlic, you’ll likely not have a reaction. However, if I serve you spaghetti with garlic, you’ll probably be pissed.

Both dishes were spaghetti, but one component being present, or not, caused an issue. This isn’t impossible with plants, either, based on several variables - most are environmental in nature.

Reactions: BROBS

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
If that were the case then if someone was “allergic” to red VA they would be incredibly so to brightleaf.

True. Just playing devils advocate.

I know how we may be able to come to a conclusion. I will sacrifice my mouth and health for the betterment of the site and this debatable question.

Everyone please send me all of your Virginia tobacco blends so that I can smoke them and do a serious scientific study on the allergic reactions of Virginia tobacco blends and their components. This is a free study. The only cost to you will be shipping me the tobacco. Everyone will be fully credited for their participation in this study.

Contact me now!

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
"red virginia" is just one of the roughly 150 different USDA grades of flue cured leaf. The slightly higher than average sugar content caramelizes at the higher temperatures of the curing process, resulting in the mahogany coloring.

It can happen accidentally or be tried for. They are totally a thing, and not just marketing.

Sounds like a grading system for marketing tobacco to me..

Reactions: rajangan and BROBS

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
I have some issues with Red Va dominated blends from McClelland, C&D, and Mac Baren, such as HH Pure Virginia. It is no allergy, but I am the sensitive type. .—.

However, why are we assuming that all red VA leaf produced around the world is the same. I seem to do better with non-American VA leaf, though I am fine American red leaf mixed in with other tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.