Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
Smoking has slowed to a crawl as it seems to do every winter. But every chance I get I smoke as much as I have time for.

We got about 5" of snow today, so I got outside and plowed the driveway, while the daughter and dog played in the snow. Had enough time for 4 bowls. Only dropped it once, banged it out on the mower once, and snow was blowing hard while I smoked.

Bowl 515.

View attachment 16149

Got inside and ran some pipe cleaners through it and noticed the stem is starting to crack right before the spade. Which had happened to me before on another Grabow.

View attachment 16152

View attachment 16153

And more pits / pin holes are starting to show up.

View attachment 16154View attachment 16155
Gets too cold to smoke outside in MN in the winter. I open the garage door and sit in my car with the engine running a couple times a week.

Reactions: Bowie

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
You think you could use some bees was on the tenon to get it to stop leaking? I have not done that but I was just wondering.
That is an interesting concept. I'll have to try it if it keeps leaking. Right now it's been behaving nicely. I'm starting to think I just have to keep changing the filters more often.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Gets too cold to smoke outside in MN in the winter. I open the garage door and sit in my car with the engine running a couple times a week.
Yeah, most of the time is spent inside my garage. When I'm lazy I have a small electric heater right in front of me. When it's realllly cold I'll turn on the kerosene heater, and when I'm ambitious and have time to kill, I'll chop some wood and sit by the wood stove.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Winter weather cramps my piping. It’s on my radar to see about setting up a place to smoke in bad weather. I was thinking a wood stove. Smoking can get involving!

Reactions: Casual

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Onward to August 2, 2020! I nominate the Dr. Grabow Royalton series with acrylic stems for any future marathon smoking. You're past halfway, the Forums long distance smoking record (so far as I know). I do like my huge (to me) rotation, sort of like a new pipe every bowl.

Reactions: Bengel
I think every pipe has a end of life (May be 1000 bowls, may be 2000, definitely less than 5000)
However most pipes don’t reach that milestone in one owners lifetime (Since most people have a lot of pipes) For example, if someone smokes a single pipe 100 times a year (Which by itself is a very steep goal) then it will still take him 10 years to smoke 1000 bowls.

@didimauw proved that lifespan of an entry level factory pipe is about 700 bowls.

Reactions: Casual

sharpiejoust

Might Stick Around
Apr 7, 2019
I just had my first bowl of Sutliff Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match, and it may be The One Burley. Time will tell.
That’s some good stuff. Have you tried the Lane Limited Ready Rubbed yet? Can’t decide which I like better.

Status
Not open for further replies.