PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpiejoust

Might Stick Around
Apr 7, 2019
What is Lane Limited Ready Rubbed before it’s rubbed? Is that version available?
It’s the modern day version of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. I believe Lane Limited lost the rights to the Edgeworth name but it’s the same blend. It’s similar to Sutliff’s Edgeworth Ready Rubbed match but has more of a cocoa/molasses taste imo.

Last edited:

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
That’s some good stuff. Have you tried the Lane Limited Ready Rubbed yet? Can’t decide which I like better.
I haven’t. I was hoping to just pick one and if it was good, ignore the other. The number is blends I’ve tried in one year is kind of ridiculous. In the 70s I think.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
From your efforts thus far.... I would say that I think your Dr. Grabow has been a wonderful tool, friend, and companion. It’s wear is only cosmetic.... the real value is in the journey it has provided you. My own Grabows have served me similarly.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I would have bet that it would’ve lasted the year. Now I’m wondering if even more expensive pipes would last a year of constant use. Hmm...
Okay, this is not something that I'm proud to admit .... but, in my defense I was not on the internet & I knew no other pipe smokers. I had not ever heard that a briar needs to be rested.

For around 7 years I smoked the one pipe, day in day out. At around 7 bowls a day that works out at 17,885 bowls without a rest.
It's a full bent Peterson Sherlock Holmes that my then wife gifted me.
It had sat in a cupboard for 20 years after I'd scorched my mouth on a cherry blend.

Once I bought some new pipes a few years ago I rested it for a few months before giving it a good clean & put it into my rotation.
It's still going strong & is an excellent smoker.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Okay, this is not something that I'm proud to admit .... but, in my defense I was not on the internet & I knew no other pipe smokers. I had not ever heard that a briar needs to be rested.

For around 7 years I smoked the one pipe, day in day out. At around 7 bowls a day that works out at 17,885 bowls without a rest.
It's a full bent Peterson Sherlock Holmes that my then wife gifted me.
It had sat in a cupboard for 20 years after I'd scorched my mouth on a cherry blend.

Once I bought some new pipes a few years ago I rested it for a few months before giving it a good clean & put it into my rotation.
It's still going strong & is an excellent smoker.

I see nothing wrong with using the same pipe day in and day out for years if it is servicing you well. I have done that sometimes.... perhaps not seven years total for one pipe.... but as long as the pipe is meeting your wishes, all is good!

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
Yeah, most of the time is spent inside my garage. When I'm lazy I have a small electric heater right in front of me. When it's realllly cold I'll turn on the kerosene heater, and when I'm ambitious and have time to kill, I'll chop some wood and sit by the wood stove.
I have a propane sunflower heater that I’ve been using lately. It gets extremely hot but it’s not great at pushing the heat around the garage. I need a gas heater hung from the ceiling next winter.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Enjoying the thread. Would be interesting to see how a cob would hold up?
Tried that, got so close to a year, but even then didn't have nearly the number of bowls through it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
didi', I think I lost track; how is the stem and bit doing? It was showing some serious wear, but you seem to be forging ahead. I do admire your perseverance. I'm a variety junkie, for both pipes and blends. I try to rotate my too-many pipes ongoing, to keep them all smoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.