PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Smoking has slowed to a crawl as it seems to do every winter. But every chance I get I smoke as much as I have time for.

We got about 5" of snow today, so I got outside and plowed the driveway, while the daughter and dog played in the snow. Had enough time for 4 bowls. Only dropped it once, banged it out on the mower once, and snow was blowing hard while I smoked.

Bowl 515.

Got inside and ran some pipe cleaners through it and noticed the stem is starting to crack right before the spade. Which had happened to me before on another Grabow.

And more pits / pin holes are starting to show up.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
After all these smokes have you had any problem with the stem leaking air? I have this exact pipe, I loved the way it smoked but a few smokes in it started leaking. Ive glued the metal tenon and tried to adjust its position, but I've had no luck.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
didi', repeating myself, but my dad only smoked one pipe at a time all day every day for years. So he drove those babies right into the ground, until they split or vaporized. I wish you'd started with a Dr. Grabow Royalton with an acrylic stem, but maybe this is more middle-of-the-road Grabow. Hope it goes the distance for you. You're a brave pipe smoker. All encouragement to you.

Reactions: didimauw and BROBS

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
After all these smokes have you had any problem with the stem leaking air? I have this exact pipe, I loved the way it smoked but a few smokes in it started leaking. Ive glued the metal tenon and tried to adjust its position, but I've had no luck.
I haven't had any issues with the stem or any stem leaking air. However my other Grabow, leaked nasty pipe juice out of the part that cracked. I super glued that one, I won't be doing that to this one lol.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
didi', repeating myself, but my dad only smoked one pipe at a time all day every day for years. So he drove those babies right into the ground, until they split or vaporized. I wish you'd started with a Dr. Grabow Royalton with an acrylic stem, but maybe this is more middle-of-the-road Grabow. Hope it goes the distance for you. You're a brave pipe smoker. All encouragement to you.
Those are the guys that I envy. And the reason I do this stupid stuff. I like thinking about the simple times. No hard decisions, on what pipe or tobacco to smoke. I have over 25 pipes, and choose to just smoke one.

Jan 5, 2020
Those are the guys that I envy. And the reason I do this stupid stuff. I like thinking about the simple times. No hard decisions, on what pipe or tobacco to smoke. I have over 25 pipes, and choose to just smoke one.

would you consider smoking just one of the Grabows with an acrylic stem during the next experiment? Im curious as to the amount they could take as well. I would do it myself, but I don't have the chance to get that many smokes in.

Reactions: BROBS

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
would you consider smoking just one of the Grabows with an acrylic stem during the next experiment? Im curious as to the amount they could take as well. I would do it myself, but I don't have the chance to get that many smokes in.
I'm not sure what I'll do next....I did mention a meer next. But it would have to be brand new for it to count, which is pricy for me. And they (from what I gather) are fragile. And I'm not nice to my pipes....

Status
Not open for further replies.