PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I smoke Meers most of the time,But my MM Cobs are next in the line up! I love my MM Cobs to Brother...( Note the rack)
O8QVZe0.jpg
You’ve got a few Old Dominion cobs as well by the looks of it.

How are you finding them compared the the MM cobs?

I’ve got an Old Dominion Laughing King that I really like.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I love the reed stems! Not better than/ or worse than a MM Cob. Just a different smoking experience. LOVE them both in their own right...?
I’ve actually never smoked a MM cob. I bought a few in case friends want to try smoking a pipe, but the plastic stems just don’t look inviting to me. Maybe I’ll give it a try someday.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Damn that stem is wriggity wrecked! Im a biter myself and can’t do with the wonkiness of softies. I sure hope my stems don’t look like that 500 bowls in. Making me want to use my artisan shit less and get more burners in rotation haha.

Lookin pretty good otherwise though. How far along are you now? Timewise?

Reactions: didimauw

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I’ve actually never smoked a MM cob. I bought a few in case friends want to try smoking a pipe, but the plastic stems just don’t look inviting to me. Maybe I’ll give it a try someday.
Get some forever stems. $20 or so but well worth it. Cobs smoke wonderfully well. Wide open draw and lightweight as hell.

Reactions: BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I love the reed stems! Not better than/ or worse than a MM Cob. Just a different smoking experience. LOVE them both in their own right...?

You’ve got a few Old Dominion cobs as well by the looks of it.

How are you finding them compared the the MM cobs?

I’ve got an Old Dominion Laughing King that I really like.

They are less comfortable to clench, but the Old Dominion richmond has the widest bowl of any cob I’ve found. Great for flakes, I love them, I have 2. Love the history behind the company as well, Inalso have one of their clays, a jamestowne, great shag burner, dedicated to margate.

Reactions: BROBS and tobefrank

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Damn that stem is wriggity wrecked! Im a biter myself and can’t do with the wonkiness of softies. I sure hope my stems don’t look like that 500 bowls in. Making me want to use my artisan shit less and get more burners in rotation haha.

Lookin pretty good otherwise though. How far along are you now? Timewise?
Yeah this is why I like a acrylic stems. Harder.

1/2/20 was 5 months. So just under 100 bowls a month is my current average I guess.

Reactions: Casual

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
They are less comfortable to clench, but the Old Dominion richmond has the widest bowl of any cob I’ve found. Great for flakes, I love them, I have 2. Love the history behind the company as well, Inalso have one of their clays, a jamestowne, great shag burner, dedicated to margate.
I don’t clench, so I’m quite happy with my Old Dominion Laughing King. I like that the Old Dominion cobs seems to be a bit larger in terms of chamber diameter than the MM cobs, at least some of the models.

Jan 5, 2020
Get some forever stems. $20 or so but well worth it. Cobs smoke wonderfully well. Wide open draw and lightweight as hell.

My forever stem is one of my best investments. I got mine back when they were around $15 or so for a basic one, and its been through a couple of cobs already.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Both my Dr. Grabow pipes are Royaltons, which come with an acrylic stem which wear much better than the other plastic, whatever it is, that Dr. Grabow uses. The brand is such a work horse, you may as well start out with a stem to last, and it is just a few bucks more. didi should get some kind of honorific title when the year is out, GrabowAnnum or something.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, I wonder if a Royalton stem would match up with the Grabow in this challenge, or is that breaking the rules? Does it have to be all done with the entire pipe as is? I guess that is the idea. But he who smokes the Dr. Grabow for a year makes the rules. How about a softie?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Hey, I wonder if a Royalton stem would match up with the Grabow in this challenge, or is that breaking the rules? Does it have to be all done with the entire pipe as is? I guess that is the idea. But he who smokes the Dr. Grabow for a year makes the rules. How about a softie?
I've thought about that as well. However I may just keep the original stem going. See how long it lasts, or how quickly I can destroy it. And softie bits are wierd to me, and I think I'd just ruin one. Haha

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
softie bits make the stem too huge and it's like you're biting a stogie.

I think the Grabow stem is plastic, rather than vulcanite.. hence the bitemarks.

Reactions: JMcQ
Status
Not open for further replies.