PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reginald

Lurker
Apr 3, 2020
Florida
What a great thread & story! I have been piping for less time than this experiment so it helps me to "keep it real" in terms of being obsessed with how much rest a pipe gets and needing an unlimited supply of pipes. I think it was you that said, "My pipes work for me, I don't work them"

Good luck in the homestretch! I fire up my Grand Duke later in your honor...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So I ordered a pound of D&R RYBACK this week. Being a fan of cheap blends, and Burley I thought it would be a great option. Even cheaper than Carter Hall.
First of all it's cut like cigarette tobacco, which I wasn't expecting. But I don't mind the very fine ribbon cut, I actually kinda think it's fun. After about three bowls, I have an opinion on it. And I'll attempt to do a review. My second review ever actually I believe.

So at first light, it's a harsh hot burn. Definitely like a cigarette tobacco. Then halfway through the smoke it becomes very mild, and almost buttery. Then, it's gone.

I've come a long way since my first review. Which you can read here.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
So I ordered a pound of D&R RYBACK this week. Being a fan of cheap blends, and Burley I thought it would be a great option. Even cheaper than Carter Hall.
First of all it's cut like cigarette tobacco, which I wasn't expecting. But I don't mind the very fine ribbon cut, I actually kinda think it's fun. After about three bowls, I have an opinion on it. And I'll attempt to do a review. My second review ever actually I believe.

So at first light, it's a harsh hot burn. Definitely like a cigarette tobacco. Then halfway through the smoke it becomes very mild, and almost buttery. Then, it's gone.

I've come a long way since my first review. Which you can read here.

I ordered a little tub of that that should hopefully arrive soon, US to Canada mail has been somewhat irregular lately. Based on your review I think I'll like it.

Reactions: bnichols23

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
It’s holding up impressively, as are you. The lure of novelty would have gotten me by now. It’s a heck of a commitment. You deserve a break from the monotony when it’s over.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania

Slowpony

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2019
NC
Wow impressive! I’ve been smoking a cardinal smooth for about a year. Not as frequently but it’s my beater/camp pipe. I have a rubber bit on it and it’s been holding up great!

Reactions: didimauw

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Picked up this Dr. Grabow Grand Duke brand new in box. It arrived today. Planning on smoking only this pipe, for an entire year. Similar to my cob thread. I'm interested to see how these inexpensive pipes will hold up. I'm not going to baby it, it will get treated like all my other pipes.
This pipe is larger than I'm used to, so the bowls will be fewer I believe.
It's actually not a badly made pipe. The drilling of the draft hole is spot on. There are some fills, and the bowl walls aren't exactly center. And of course I had to sand and micro mesh the stem, to my liking.
The first bowl actually smoked very good for me. No gurgle, burned nicely but at times slightly warm, but not hot.
Here we go.
IMG-20190802-142758.jpg

IMG-20190802-143011.jpg

IMG-20190802-143158.jpg

IMG-20190802-143119.jpg

IMG-20190802-144533.jpg

Edit. Added date in title.
I look forward to seeing how this goes. I have a Grand Duke and I enjoy that pipe, and the price. It was also appealing that it's made "next door" in NC (I'm in VA).

Status
Not open for further replies.