PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I also got a pouch and haven’t opened it. How does it compare to Carter Hall? More or less nutty? Chocolate/flavouring stronger or not? Could you tell the difference in a blind test, and what would give it away?
So, 4 bowls into the SWR. The blend is more along the lines of cube cut. And it
reminds me more of cigarette tobacco. Which is ok, I still smoke cigs. But the flavor is more bland. More like a tobacco that you smoke because you need your fix. Not for the wonderful smells, and fruity, nutty, grassy tastes lol. But that works for me. That's why I smoke. Nicotine. I still prefer Carter Hall in the end. That one is just hard to beat for me.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
So, 4 bowls into the SWR. The blend is more along the lines of cube cut. And it
reminds me more of cigarette tobacco. Which is ok, I still smoke cigs. But the flavor is more bland. More like a tobacco that you smoke because you need your fix. Not for the wonderful smells, and fruity, nutty, grassy tastes lol. But that works for me. That's why I smoke. Nicotine. I still prefer Carter Hall in the end. That one is just hard to beat for me.
It's really hard to beat Carter Hall. I tried Chatham Manor, after reading a lot of reviews saying it was an improved CH. It's fine, but CH is much better, in my opinion. But I do like SWR and PA quite a bit too.

Reactions: Casual

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It's really hard to beat Carter Hall. I tried Chatham Manor, after reading a lot of reviews saying it was an improved CH. It's fine, but CH is much better, in my opinion. But I do like SWR and PA quite a bit too.
Yeah I don't believe Catham Manor is better than or an improved version of CH either. Im Sure it's good quality tobacco, but it's not even close to the taste.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Yeah I don't believe Catham Manor is better than or an improved version of CH either. Im Sure it's good quality tobacco, but it's not even close to the taste.
I have also tried Chatham Manor and didn't find it quite as good or a replacement for CH. Just finished a pouch of CH but prefer Prince Albert more and have ordered a tub.

Also, I just came across a tin of C&D Briar Fox with a tin date of 07/2015 and WOW is all I have to say. I've never had it fresh but the smell is wonderful. I'm not a huge Burley fan but I think this is going to be a future cellar blend, along with more tubs of PA. BF seems to be a hit or miss with the reviews I have read, but I see why you like it.

Reactions: Casual

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Bowl 801.
You can tell the shank is swelling from moisture I'm sure. The cracks in the stem are getting bigger, but slowly. And the stamp is starting to wear away from regular use. But I fear this pipe will make it to August. I miss my cobs, and just got a new kaywoodie in last week. ( Stupid idea, cause I can't smoke it till this is done,and I just hold it and look at it for now. Haha)

But the pipe is smoking great as always.

IMG_20200501_134650.jpg
IMG_20200501_134658.jpg
IMG_20200501_134704.jpg
IMG_20200501_134745.jpg
IMG_20200501_135503.jpg
IMG_20200501_135532.jpg
IMG_20200501_134431.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's some serious self-discipline. The pipe looks good for the level of wear. You owe yourself a five-year promise, no more marathon smoking for some time to come. Being a fan of Dr. Grabow, U.S. factory pipes, and low-cost briars, I like to check in and see how you're doing. I'd be really surprised if that pipe doesn't make it all the way to August. It just has that determined look.

Reactions: Reginald

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's some serious self-discipline. The pipe looks good for the level of wear. You owe yourself a five-year promise, no more marathon smoking for some time to come. Being a fan of Dr. Grabow, U.S. factory pipes, and low-cost briars, I like to check in and see how you're doing. I'd be really surprised if that pipe doesn't make it all the way to August. It just has that determined look.
Yes by the way it's handled everything, 4 more months won't be nothing for it.
And yes after this one, someone else will have to take the reigns on these science experiments for a while. Id like to say I'm done doing these, but you never know. Haha

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I have also tried Chatham Manor and didn't find it quite as good or a replacement for CH. Just finished a pouch of CH but prefer Prince Albert more and have ordered a tub.

Also, I just came across a tin of C&D Briar Fox with a tin date of 07/2015 and WOW is all I have to say. I've never had it fresh but the smell is wonderful. I'm not a huge Burley fan but I think this is going to be a future cellar blend, along with more tubs of PA. BF seems to be a hit or miss with the reviews I have read, but I see why you like it.
Tried Chatham manor as well and hate it

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

Carter hall in the pouch, is very similar to Catham manor Actually. Carter hall in the tub is the best of the three. If you haven't tried the tub version, you should. They are totally different tobacco's. Wierd I know....

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Bowl 830, in my smoking tent. More briar fox. Had to do an emergency ream 2 bowls ago. Tried to even out the cake, and a huge chunk broke off. So with my old man beech wood tamper, I reamed the rest of it.

Ever since I bought a hundred pack of balsa filters, I replace the used ones every 3-5 smokes, and throw most of them away. Unless I'm not by a garbage can, they sit out to dry for emergency use.

I've been on a steady every 2 week Carter Hall tub buying spree. And had my local gas station order some to stock for me.
And last weekend, the wife let me move my smoking cabinet next to my couch spot in the living room. She still won't let me smoke inside, but I'll take it as a win.
Nothing picture worthy here.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Oh and so far, this Grabow has been in 5 states. It's been smoked in snowstorms, rain, and wind storms. It's been in my teeth while shoveling and plowing snow, mowing the lawn ( covered in grass) skinning a squirrel ( bloody), fixing our bikes, cutting down trees and then burning the wood.
It's been binge smoked on car rides, from 2 hours, to 5 hours. It's been on multiple harsh hikes through the woods, bike rides , and peaceful walks through town.

It's been smoked in the garage while I make tampers, and carve pipes ( covered in dust). Also during oil changes ( covered in oil), battery jumps, brake changes and muffler repairs.

It's survived multiple warm water washes in the sink.

It's been dropped 3 times on concrete, and banged on surfaces such as my palm, my boot, handrails, ashtrays, and car windows.
It has seen the sun rise, and the sun set.
It was smoked during the blood moon, a meteor shower and an eclipse.

One or two days of the days I didn't smoke the pipe at all. And more than a couple days in there it was smoked 12 times in one day.

Phew....

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Oh and so far, this Grabow has been in 5 states. It's been smoked in snowstorms, rain, and wind storms. It's been in my teeth while shoveling and plowing snow, mowing the lawn ( covered in grass) skinning a squirrel ( bloody), fixing our bikes, cutting down trees and then burning the wood.
It's been binge smoked on car rides, from 2 hours, to 5 hours. It's been on multiple harsh hikes through the woods, bike rides , and peaceful walks through town.

It's been smoked in the garage while I make tampers, and carve pipes ( covered in dust). Also during oil changes ( covered in oil), battery jumps, brake changes and muffler repairs.

It's survived multiple warm water washes in the sink.

It's been dropped 3 times on concrete, and banged on surfaces such as my palm, my boot, handrails, ashtrays, and car windows.
It has seen the sun rise, and the sun set.
It was smoked during the blood moon, a meteor shower and an eclipse.

One or two days of the days I didn't smoke the pipe at all. And more than a couple days in there it was smoked 12 times in one day.

Phew....
You should make a display case and mount it on your wall when it's retired.

Thepipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2020
WV
This is awesome. I would love to smoke just one pipe for a year but I would never be able to. But the way a pipe ages is beautiful thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.