PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I don't like instant coffee, but I don't care what other people drink. I drink Folger's (or whatever the wife buys at the store). Then I'll put cream and sugar in it because I like it that way. I am amazed at all the people who play the "black coffee" game.

My father watches me drink it black and often says, “if I had to drink my coffee that way, it would be my last cup of coffee.” Of course, if Dad smoked a pipe, he’d probably want to mask the flavor of that “icky” tobacco too.

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I was on a three-day backpacking trip in Wyoming’s Wind River range with my brother and nephew a few years ago. It was about 25 degrees out one morning. We emerged from our ice-covered tents, boiled some water, made Folgers instant coffee, and dipped frozen Clif bars in it for breakfast. Possibly the best cup o’ joe I’ve ever had.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For several health reasons, I've resigned myself to decaf coffee, though I'd prefer the regular leaded of course. Decaf is hot and I think after decades and decades of caffeinated, I get the psychological effect of kick out of it if I let myself.

My remaining coffee pleasure, which doesn't come under the snobbish category, is my liking of stove-top percolator coffee. My wife takes her French press brew black and caffeinated, so I happily make her that as the breakfast cook. Then I get my perk pot going and make my brew. It's just the flavor I want.

When I originally posted about it on Forums, one of the members posted: "Dad, is that you?"

I've done instant coffee on camping trips, though I used to prefer back tea. Now tea is out for me since it is reputed to form kidney stones. I loved it hot or iced and unsweetened, but no more.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
MRE coffee? C-Rat too. But I prefer the five gallons of warm plastic tasting watery weak piss that the mess hall would be gracious enough to get to field. — I think 🤔 it’s purely environmental and @bullet08, I think that latte-lickin-SOB needs to change his tampon. Hot coffee in cold hands is bliss.
And it was even better out in the field when the oversized aluminum pot full of potable water and grounds was on day 2!!!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's interesting comparing other forum to this one. We talk about tobacco/blend/pipe snobbery. Coffee snobbery is at another level. I've been out camping, when I was younger, long enough, anything hot in the morning is great. After few years, I started drinking instant coffee. Mainly, it's less weight in my pack, and Folgers is pretty decent. Not to mention less prep. This guy came after me and said "I would rather not have coffee than drink instant." I bet he never left a temperature controlled environment in his life.
that doesn't sound like snobbery just standards. Though I can certainly point out some amazing coffee snobbery. And as far as your last comment that so true. The trail and the out of doors are one of the best seasonings in the world. One of the best things I've eaten ever was a plain can of Tuna Fish while hiking the mid state.

My final straw with the bicycle forums was when someone asked if a Walmart bike was ok for a six year old to learn to ride on. I responded “sure.” And, you’d have thought that I had just set fire to every bike shop in the world.
I mean, how long do you need a bike to last for a six year old? No point in spending $500 on a Canondale graphite just for a kid to put stickers all over it.

And, I learned a while back that people on here will snarl their noses at the cheap coffee I drink, so I just keep it to myself. I just want one thing from my coffee, and that’s to jumpstart my heart in the morning. Sure, I can enjoy a better cup of coffee, but IMO it’s nit a big deal to me… not as much as my tobacco or other things in life.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I know my tea better than my coffee.
But instant coffee is fine by me. Especially with a fry up. Bacon, sausages eggs etc. Mind you, tea is also nice with that.
If I'm not wrong instant coffee was 'hip in England back in the 60-70ies, whereas today Instant coffee seems to be popular among 'the general public'in Eastern European countries and Russia

I know my tea better than my coffee.
But instant coffee is fine by me. Especially with a fry up. Bacon, sausages eggs etc. Mind you, tea is also nice with that.
When we visited Costa Rica back in the 90’s, we were surprised that instant coffee was so popular, right there where coffee comes from. Nothing wrong with instant. Drink what you like, like what you drink.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I always use the coffee bags when camping. They're just tea bags with coffee. It's perfectly suitable and easy.

Car camping, I'll take a percolator.

I like good coffee, sure. I'll also drink whatever has been sitting on the hot plate for two days at the gas station in Bumblefuckey, Arkansas. I'll enjoy both.

Flavor is secondary to me when it comes to coffee. I want hot caffeine bean juice with a little cream.

The one thing I just can't tolerate is instant. It's just always tastes like pure evil to me, no matter the brand or strength, and I can't do it. I suppose if I was at war, and had no options, I'd drink it I guess.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
that doesn't sound like snobbery just standards. Though I can certainly point out some amazing coffee snobbery. And as far as your last comment that so true. The trail and the out of doors are one of the best seasonings in the world. One of the best things I've eaten ever was a plain can of Tuna Fish while hiking the mid state.

Wait, is this “snobbery snobbery?”

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I’m a caffeine whore. As long as it has caffeine, I’m in.

I don’t care if it’s cold, hot, instant, organically grown, sustainable, fresh roasted, hand picked by midgets, etc.

My go to is canned cold brew, unless I’m actually home then it’s pour over, unless I’m on the road, then it’s RedBull, unless I just need caffeine and there’s a Dutch Bros. Then it’s a Sugar Free Double Torture.

So in conclusion, I just need caffeine. My optimal intake is right about 1,200 mg per day.
I passed out from this brand. Someone I passed it on to had heart palpatations. You might like it. ;):eek: :