PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's interesting comparing other forum to this one. We talk about tobacco/blend/pipe snobbery. Coffee snobbery is at another level. I've been out camping, when I was younger, long enough, anything hot in the morning is great. After few years, I started drinking instant coffee. Mainly, it's less weight in my pack, and Folgers is pretty decent. Not to mention less prep. This guy came after me and said "I would rather not have coffee than drink instant." I bet he never left a temperature controlled environment in his life.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
It's interesting comparing other forum to this one. We talk about tobacco/blend/pipe snobbery. Coffee snobbery is at another level. I've been out camping, when I was younger, long enough, anything hot in the morning is great. After few years, I started drinking instant coffee. Mainly, it's less weight in my pack, and Folgers is pretty decent. Not to mention less prep. This guy came after me and said "I would rather not have coffee than drink instant." I bet he never left a temperature controlled environment in his life.

I have a buddy like that. Except he does go outside, a lot. This guy has a titanium hand crank burr grinder, titanium cup, titanium pour over system, etc.

I get it, but on the other hand, I’m not sure how good your coffee is gonna be when there are a few bugs in it and you stirred it with a stick.

Different strokes, I suppose. I used to just pre-grind beans and take an aeropress.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I admitted to my local roaster that I had not ordered in a while because we had to tighten the belt for a few months and I had been on instant coffee, He totally understood, and admitted that his first cup was usually something like that too, with hustling the kids to school etc.

If I am going camping etc I will just take a bag of special blend, but also I often have a cup of instant at home even if I have the time to grind beans instead, I enjoy the flavour in itself, not comparatively.

I guess its like how I smoke mostly tobacco forward things, but I enjoy a bowl of RLP-6 or SWR sometimes too.

266800.jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I have a buddy like that. Except he does go outside, a lot. This guy has a titanium hand crank burr grinder, titanium cup, titanium pour over system, etc.

I get it, but on the other hand, I’m not sure how good your coffee is gonna be when there are a few bugs in it and you stirred it with a stick.

Different strokes, I suppose. I used to just pre-grind beans and take an aeropress.
Damn. I don't have ti hand grinder. Now I have to go look for it x) As much as I don't care for great coffee, I collect coffee related items for backpacking. I really don't know why. i just like to keep them around. Last one was Snow Peak ti French press set.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I prefer fresh brewed colombian coffee at home as my daily coffee ... but circumstances of life sometimes make that not possible ... so I keep a box of the Folgers instant travel tubes in the cabinet for the quick caffeine hit when in a rush to 'save the world' ;) :ROFLMAO: ... I will say however that there seems to be nothing worse than a bad cup of coffee and it should be tossed post haste !

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I prefer fresh brewed colombian coffee at home as my daily coffee ... but circumstances of life sometimes make that not possible ... so I keep a box of the Folgers instant travel tubes in the cabinet for the quick caffeine hit when in a rush to 'save the world' ;) :ROFLMAO: ... I will say however that there seems to be nothing worse than a bad cup of coffee and it should be tossed post haste !
Maybe that's my problem. I started with what would be described as worst coffee in the planet. Now everything's great! :D

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
"Good more for me, shut up and leave me alone while I drink my coffee".

I have a friend that used to occasionally bum cigs off me. Every time, he'd complain about my brand and say "ugh"
I'd say "fine then don't smoke it" and try to take it from him, but he was too fast and smoked em anyways.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I love coffee. I roast my own, I buy from local roasters, I buy from national chains that are around me. I use various brewing methods depending on what I'm feeling like at that particular time.

I still keep multiple cans of Starbucks Medium instant on hand after finding it last year. Sometimes it just hits the spot and all coffee has its place.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’m a caffeine whore. As long as it has caffeine, I’m in.

I don’t care if it’s cold, hot, instant, organically grown, sustainable, fresh roasted, hand picked by midgets, etc.

My go to is canned cold brew, unless I’m actually home then it’s pour over, unless I’m on the road, then it’s RedBull, unless I just need caffeine and there’s a Dutch Bros. Then it’s a Sugar Free Double Torture.

So in conclusion, I just need caffeine. My optimal intake is right about 1,200 mg per day.