Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'll eat and drink almost anything, at least once. Once during a camping trip, we were told there was drinking water source. Of course, we had filter system. But this drinking water was brown. Even after filtering, had slight tint to it. Meaning we added further chemical to be able to drinking it. Drank that water for a week. Instant coffee? C-rat coffee? MRE coffee? I'll drink 'em all and like 'em. River water filtered and boiled somehow tasted like a dead fish years ago. I didn't drink that! On short trips, I carry drinking water. Too much hassle to purify water.

F

fMf Piper

While I regularly order whole bean coffee from a roaster I found when I lived in Minnesota, and will ocassionally grind some and French press it - my daily coffee is Nestle Taster's Choice. I like the way it tastes, and if others don't like it, they don't have to drink it.

For camping, we would always bring ground coffee and use a percolator over the fire to make coffee. To me, everything tastes better when enjoyed in nature.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I was on a three-day backpacking trip in Wyoming’s Wind River range with my brother and nephew a few years ago. It was about 25 degrees out one morning. We emerged from our ice-covered tents, boiled some water, made Folgers instant coffee, and dipped frozen Clif bars in it for breakfast. Possibly the best cup o’ joe I’ve ever had.
Similar experience some years ago with a couple of mates trekking through the Snowy Mountains. Can of sliced up "luncheon meat" (generic Spam) between slices of half-frozen white supermarket loaf - best breakfast since when.

Just for the heck of it I had a mug of 3-in-one (coffee granules, sugar and powdered creamer, and extremely popular in Malaysia) instant coffee a couple of days ago 😝
I won't be repeating the experience in any hurry.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I'm old enough to remember this ad, and when i eventually moved to boston I worked at the Omni Parker House which is just around the corner from this place so I had to go in and have a cup of coffee there once, just because.

Maison Robert was a classic French Restaurant located in "the Old City Hall" of Boston, about a block or so from the Parker House and Park Street Church. It lasted from 1972 to 2004. The building is beautiful and stands in stark contrast to the present city hall which is 1960s ugly. The restaurant is now part of the high end Ruth's Chris empire (very good and very expensive with prime steaks covered in butter).

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Maison Robert was a classic French Restaurant located in "the Old City Hall" of Boston, about a block or so from the Parker House and Park Street Church. It lasted from 1972 to 2004. The building is beautiful and stands in stark contrast to the present city hall which is 1960s ugly. The restaurant is now part of the high end Ruth's Chris empire (very good and very expensive with prime steaks covered in butter).
Always thought Ruth Chris was always the bottom rung of the "steak chains" to be honest, give me Capital Grille any day of the week, then Del Frisco and I think Ruth's and Morton's can fight it out for the worst, had some horrible meals at Morton's the last two times i was there and I'm done with them.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
A friend from work started each morning with coffee to which he added so much hazelnut non-dairy creamer that it looked like milk, but more viscous. It was no longer coffee in my mind but he enjoyed it so it was all good.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
My grandmother used to make a pot of coffee, pour a cup, then add a heaping teaspoon of instant coffee to the cup. Reading this thread I was expecting something like that to show up.
Occasionally, my wife does that. She's been drinking coffee as long as I have known her. That goes back to college. She used to drink it black. But after kids, she likes it with just a little milk. Then one day, she brought home a box of S. Korean instant coffee that had creamer already in it. Few times, I've seen her putting a pack of that stuff in her coffee. She said it's so mild, it's like adding non-dairy creamer.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
A friend from work started each morning with coffee to which he added so much hazelnut non-dairy creamer that it looked like milk, but more viscous. It was no longer coffee in my mind but he enjoyed it so it was all good.
That's how I like mine. Cream with coffee. Doesn't matter what cream or which coffee. Just a shit ton of cream. Espresso is little different. Used to drink espresso from this roaster/cafe back in college. I couldn't drinking regular coffee, but no acid issue with espresso. During final time, I'll go there and get two quadruple espresso to go in the morning. No milk, no sugar. Didn't know what latte was, nor cappuccino. Didn't know if it was supposed to be that bitter. It kept me awake and I drank it.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I passed out from this brand. Someone I passed it on to had heart palpatations. You might like it. ;):eek: :
I’ve had that. It was okay.

One day I made some and I had a guy over that wanted to see how my job went. He was a fireman than wanted to see how investigators work.

So I made a pot, it was about the fifth pot so I knew it had a kick, but manageable for me, and I warned the guy. He told me he’s caffeine tolerant and it wasn’t a big deal.

So we each had a big glass, I pretty much just drank mine. He started drinking his, got about a regular 6 oz cup down, and then it started happening.

He got the chills and palpitations and had to use the bathroom. My hall bathroom is next to my office and quite honestly it sounded like an ongoing murder.

He exits the bathroom and sheepishly tells me he’s not feeling good and needs to leave. Okay. See ya.

About fifteen minutes later he texts me and let’s me know he’s pulled over to the side of the road and was puking and he had shit his pants.

I’m a loving and benevolent human so I replied “amateur”.

He called his wife and had her come get him. So whenever he wants to come over I always show him his name in my contacts is Shitpants McPukeface.

I’ve had that. It was okay.

One day I made some and I had a guy over that wanted to see how my job went. He was a fireman than wanted to see how investigators work.

So I made a pot, it was about the fifth pot so I knew it had a kick, but manageable for me, and I warned the guy. He told me he’s caffeine tolerant and it wasn’t a big deal.

So we each had a big glass, I pretty much just drank mine. He started drinking his, got about a regular 6 oz cup down, and then it started happening.

He got the chills and palpitations and had to use the bathroom. My hall bathroom is next to my office and quite honestly it sounded like an ongoing murder.

He exits the bathroom and sheepishly tells me he’s not feeling good and needs to leave. Okay. See ya.

About fifteen minutes later he texts me and let’s me know he’s pulled over to the side of the road and was puking and he had shit his pants.

I’m a loving and benevolent human so I replied “amateur”.

He called his wife and had her come get him. So whenever he wants to come over I always show him his name in my contacts is Shitpants McPukeface.
This made me curious. Ordered from Amazon