March Meerschaum Madness - Let the Madness Begin!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
You know how this all started right? I used to smoke Pollock clays like my Uncles until my dentist asked how was life in the 1850s since I had pipe notches in my teeth. Back in the mid 1980s you could buy a meerschaum 'cutty' pipe in an antique flea market for less than Five Pounds whilst the very ornate carved jobs went for anything north of £70. Since they looked like what I had been smoking since I was 15 years old but without a clay stem I thought that will do nicely and one thing led to another. Grave robbery was never my thing but I could tell you a few wild stories about a few of London's ancient cemeteries.
@condorlover1 I've got a few Pollock clays myself!

Reactions: PipeIT

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's amazing to me how popular the lattice designs are. I seem to see more of them than anything else...I know Altinay makes a lot of them too.

It just goes to show there's no accounting for taste, because I've never cared much for it. I don't strongly dislike it, but it just doesn't appeal to me very much. In the classic shapes I mainly prefer smooth...or sometimes a rusticated finish.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It's amazing to me how popular the lattice designs are. I seem to see more of them than anything else...I know Altinay makes a lot of them too.

It just goes to show there's no accounting for taste, because I've never cared much for it. I don't strongly dislike it, but it just doesn't appeal to me very much. In the classic shapes I mainly prefer smooth...or sometimes a rusticated finish.
I hated the idea of a lattice pipe at first. Then I saw one latticed, old, beautifully colored, hard smoked meer, and just had to have one. One picture was all it took.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
That’s is amazing work right there! Wow!
Yanik is a true artist. Below is an example of what he can do. It is one currently on his site, and is way out of my price range. It's not really one I would want anyway, but it really demonstrates his talent.

s-l500.png

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg