March Meerschaum Madness - Let the Madness Begin!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
So you don't always pry them out of the caskets then! 😂
You know how this all started right? I used to smoke Pollock clays like my Uncles until my dentist asked how was life in the 1850s since I had pipe notches in my teeth. Back in the mid 1980s you could buy a meerschaum 'cutty' pipe in an antique flea market for less than Five Pounds whilst the very ornate carved jobs went for anything north of £70. Since they looked like what I had been smoking since I was 15 years old but without a clay stem I thought that will do nicely and one thing led to another. Grave robbery was never my thing but I could tell you a few wild stories about a few of London's ancient cemeteries.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
You know how this all started right? I used to smoke Pollock clays like my Uncles until my dentist asked how was life in the 1850s since I had pipe notches in my teeth. Back in the mid 1980s you could buy a meerschaum 'cutty' pipe in an antique flea market for less than Five Pounds whilst the very ornate carved jobs went for anything north of £70. Since they looked like what I had been smoking since I was 15 years old but without a clay stem I thought that will do nicely and one thing led to another. Grave robbery was never my thing but I could tell you a few wild stories about a few of London's ancient cemeteries.
I'm eagerly awaiting for your thread about these stories. They would go good for March meerschaum madness! I could never get into clays, but they sound fun if you don't burn your hands! Lol

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
591794.jpg
598738.jpg
598215.jpg

Got these 2 pipes from Agovem on Mar 01. Been smoking them all day since 02.(I had a day-off.)

I love the smoking experience from the tomato shape pipe. The Lattice has a small contact area that keeps your hand from feeling the heat, and it won't absorb too much moisture from your hand, so that your hand don't feel sticky while smoking.

The poker is a reverse pipe. Google says it means that you have an extra chamber in the shank, that provides you a cool and dry smoke. But, I am not getting it. I think the regular meerschaum pipe already provides cool and dry smoke.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
View attachment 206615
View attachment 206616
View attachment 206617

Got these 2 pipes from Agovem on Mar 01. Been smoking them all day since 02.(I had a day-off.)

I love the smoking experience from the tomato shape pipe. The Lattice has a small contact area that keeps your hand from feeling the heat, and it won't absorb too much moisture from your hand, so that your hand don't feel sticky while smoking.

The poker is a reverse pipe. Google says it means that you have an extra chamber in the shank, that provides you a cool and dry smoke. But, I am not getting it. I think the regular meerschaum pipe already provides cool and dry smoke.
Those are both very nice! Congrats...enjoy.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This Altinay makes me ridiculously happy. I ordered this pipe in December and somehow it was at my door (in California) within a week. The stem and shank (mortise/tenon) fit together so smoothly! And it's so lightweight and to clench. Already starting to show some nice color too.

View attachment 206626
My SMS apple is about the same size as yours. It's my favorite pipe to-date, but I prefer the fit and finish of my Altinay. I'll have to keep my eye open for one of their apples!

Said.ALTINAY

Might Stick Around
This Altinay makes me ridiculously happy. I ordered this pipe in December and somehow it was at my door (in California) within a week. The stem and shank (mortise/tenon) fit together so smoothly! And it's so lightweight and to clench. Already starting to show some nice color too.

View attachment 206626
Glad to hear that. Enjoy the meerschaum month with your new meer!

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
My SMS apple is about the same size as yours. It's my favorite pipe to-date, but I prefer the fit and finish of my Altinay. I'll have to keep my eye open for one of their apples!
I actually decided on the Altinay because you (and a few others) spoke of them so highly in another thread.

You did not steer me wrong!
Thank you :)

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
@keith929: Just asking. I once stayed in a resort near Tampa for the night before driving up to NY about two years ago. My wife being someone who will not be donating her brain to medical science booked us into a 'Naturist Colony'. I was talking early the next morning with the chap in the next bungalow about something or other and the view was just like your picture from the neck down. I was somewhat taken aback when he stood in full 'Gods Underwear' or as we would say in the old country 'I couldn't Adam and Eve it'. The picture reminded me of that moment, not for one moment am I suggesting you would be running around in the flesh! As an after thought what is that interest thing around you neck if you will pardon my curiosity!
That thing around my neck is my birth sign(Libra).