Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
91sn32Q.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I recently saw your post on one of the What Are You Smoking.... threads that you had some 2012 GL Pease Navigator burning in a Jack Howell pipe. Did you have any reaction to that blend? I ask because Navigator contains a very large portion of Red VA. I would think it would be more than enough to trigger a reaction, if Red VA were the culprit.

Where did you get that info ? I don't get a nip of reds and when something has it my tongue gets the burn in the first minute. Maybe it is the Kentucky that over powers any reds. I have been smoking only the 2012 version of Navigator as that year are the only ones in my cellar. I bought about 40 tins and waited till recently to check it out. It smokes smooth and sweet and it didn't nip me back in 2012 which is why I bought as many as I did. In 2012 the Kentucky was rough, but I saw the potential. As I am writing this post I am smoking Navigator in my Howell Lovat and it has no reds I can detect.

Where did you get that info ? I don't get a nip of reds and when something has it my tongue gets the burn in the first minute. Maybe it is the Kentucky that over powers any reds. I have been smoking only the 2012 version of Navigator as that year are the only ones in my cellar. I bought about 40 tins and waited till recently to check it out. It smokes smooth and sweet and it didn't nip me back in 2012 which is why I bought as many as I did. In 2012 the Kentucky was rough, but I saw the potential. As I am writing this post I am smoking Navigator in my Howell Lovat and it has no reds I can detect.
The guy mixes and makes this blend. Ha ha, and you ask him where he gets his information?
Stay healthy you old curmudgeon. puffy

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The guy mixes and makes this blend. Ha ha, and you ask him where he gets his information?
Stay healthy you old curmudgeon. puffy

Jeremy just might have a hint. LOL In Harris's defense, not all Red Va are created equal. The C&D Red Va's don't tickle my tongue like a number of others. I can't explain it, don't understand it but they surely seem different to me. I have considered them to be codger red Va as they seem to be more rustic in flavor and the maple sugar sweetness is not as prevalent. That's not to say I don't like it because I do. It's just different.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Who is Jeremy and what are his credentials. Unless he put every ingredient into the blend, wrote up a stats sheet that he can prove it has reds then he is just another piker who probably works for Pease who keeps his recipes in Fort Knox.

I should have posted this on my previous post. I bought one tin of Navigator , smoked it half way then put in the big order.

Jeremy just might have a hint. LOL In Harris's defense, not all Red Va are created equal. The C&D Red Va's don't tickle my tongue like a number of others. I can't explain it, don't understand it but they surely seem different to me. I have considered them to be codger red Va as they seem to be more rustic in flavor and the maple sugar sweetness is not as prevalent. That's not to say I don't like it because I do. It's just different.
I can't remember which thread it was, but I mentioned that casings or sauces could affect the way a tobacco is presented on your palate,.. which further proves the OP's point, that it's not an allergy. But, I think we all knew it wasn't an allergy, but just something f'd up with Harris, ha ha. JK.

I know lots of guys have problems with certain Virginias especially. I have had days where Virginias just tear me up, and some days burley may do this to me. But, I could see someone being more sensitive to certain things.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
TL;DR for this thread:

-Grades of VA are muddier than you might think

-Red VA is in a ton of blends

-Hardly anyone discloses all of the components used in their blends

-Red VA is in a ton of blends, even if not specifically mentioned on the label

-Getting old hurts real bad

-Red VA is in a ton of blends

-It’s possible to consume mangos incorrectly
Thank you Shane for that post, it was very helpful. Now that you have made a post thas info I can use, I will take you off the piker list. Yes you should be honored.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I can't remember which thread it was, but I mentioned that casings or sauces could affect the way a tobacco is presented on your palate,.. which further proves the OP's point, that it's not an allergy. But, I think we all knew it wasn't an allergy, but just something f'd up with Harris, ha ha. JK.

I know lots of guys have problems with certain Virginias especially. I have had days where Virginias just tear me up, and some days burley may do this to me. But, I could see someone being more sensitive to certain things.
I think it is a chemical reaction that affects some people and not others. Don't know for certain. I suppose that would act like an allergy since it only affects some people. Like you mentioned, I think the casings are more the culprit. KBV blends eat my tongue up, not sure what he puts in them.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Hi Harris, I am the Head Blender at Cornell & Diehl. I am very glad to hear that you are smoking and enjoying the Navigator! Not only because it is a product that we manufacture, with tobacco that I personally select and source, for all of the products we manufacture, but also because you are smoking and enjoying a blend that I have blended many times, have the recipe for and can 100% confirm contains more Red VA than any other component in it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jeremy Reeves is the master blender for C&D which produces the blend so, yes, he puts every ingredient in the blend and is also sourcing the ingredients.
I don't have one C&D blend in my cellar. The last time I tried a couple were Bayou Nights and I think there be a Bayou Morning? I am not really that sure of the second one.
I bought a pound of Bayou Nights without trying I was brand new and it sounded tasty. It burned my tongue so I aged it ten years. It bit just as bad so I traded it for something just as bad. I had no idea why some Va's were easy to smoke like Astleys 109, F&T Cut Virginia Plug, Dunhill Flake. Somehow I learned about red virginia;s and it made sense I couldn't smoke McClelland or Rattray Virginias. I did find out that Butera Dark Stoved was all Lemon virginia's and that is why it is my only MC in the cellar.

The only blend I have that has some red is Solani 660 Silver Flake.
I only smoke it first of the day and group 4 pipe is the biggest. It tingles but nothing like the acid burn from the VA's from hell.

When I was an English smoker I smoked Ravens Wing, and a few other Pease blends that didn't sting.

Now that I know who Jeremy is, I will give him the proper respect he has earned. Jeremy word has it you are making the exact copy of the original Three Nuns, I am talking the stuff from back in the 80's or early 90's. Please do me a favor.....don't f it up. Imagine you Jeremy the great the man who resurrected Three Nuns. We could get you a bronze statue for that one.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
You’re being a great sport for Harris, but the man used to be an ABBA fan. And, he had a YES album cover as an avatar! He obviously just has poor taste all around. puffy
Oh I don't think that at all. Well, ABBA makes me shudder a bit, but I LOVE Yes, Supertramp, Captain Beefheart, Zappa, Steely Dan, Zior, Leafhound.... And I don't think he has poor taste in tobaccos either. He has listed a number of them in this thread that I love as well, and as a tobacco buyer / blender, with raw tobacco experience, as well as familiarity with processing techniques, I can confidently say, many of these blends contain leaf that would fall in the Red, Orange-Red color category, whether the tin says so or not. If it says a blend of Virginias, and isn't bright gold in color, it's safe to assume there are darker VA leaves in the mix, and Red is likely present. Navigator was just one blend I knew he had smoked, where I actually have access to the recipe and I myself source the leaf used in it. I don't have F&T's recipes to know exactly how much Red there is in Special Brown Flake, for example. I can say that it's probably a lot less than the amount of Red in Navigator.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All this thread has now achieved is tempting Harris into thinking “oh maybe I can handle red va” and then buying 200lb just in case. Thanks guys, there goes anyone’s chance of cellaring up who hasn’t already
No worries Ahi I have stopped buying tobacco except for one aged blend when I can find it. I have no where to put anymore. You are free to cellar till you puke. lol

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Oh I don't think that at all. Well, ABBA makes me shudder a bit, but I LOVE Yes, Supertramp, Captain Beefheart, Zappa, Steely Dan, Zior, Leafhound.... And I don't think he has poor taste in tobaccos either. He has listed a number of them in this thread that I love as well, and as a tobacco buyer / blender, with raw tobacco experience, as well as familiarity with processing techniques, I can confidently say, many of these blends contain leaf that would fall in the Red, Orange-Red color category, whether the tin says so or not. If it says a blend of Virginias, and isn't bright gold in color, it's safe to assume there are darker VA leaves in the mix, and Red is likely present. Navigator was just one blend I knew he had smoked, where I actually have access to the recipe and I myself source the leaf used in it. I don't have F&T's recipes to know exactly how much Red there is in Special Brown Flake, for example. I can say that it's probably a lot less than the amount of Red in Navigator.

Jeremy, I can smoke SPecial Brown Flake all day, but Cut Blended and Black Jack no way.

It all comes down to the fact that my tongue is so sophisticated that I can tell when I am smoking pipe tobacco and not cigars.
Ok you losers who don't love Dancing Queen. Anytime it is played the chucks go wild, great for meeting the young ladies on the dancing floor. Had some fun in the 70's and80's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.