BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
800px-chuck_e._cheese_animatronic_laguna_hills_ca.jpg

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
All this thread has now achieved is tempting Harris into thinking “oh maybe I can handle red va” and then buying 200lb just in case. Thanks guys, there goes anyone’s chance of cellaring up who hasn’t already

Cigrmaster is the Howard Hughes of pipe tobacco. Pretty sure he can single-handedly move the market when he decides to hoard something on a whim.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
I don't have one C&D blend in my cellar. The last time I tried a couple were Bayou Nights and I think there be a Bayou Morning? I am not really that sure of the second one.
I bought a pound of Bayou Nights without trying I was brand new and it sounded tasty. It burned my tongue so I aged it ten years.
All Pease products are made by C&D, using the exact same components that are used in C&D products or any other brand that we manufacture. I do not know what exact lots or grades were being used 10 years ago, but Bayou Night has 6 different tobaccos in it, and the majority of the blend is Perique. Seems to me that assuming the bite was caused by Red Virginia leaves a lot of other explanations on the table.

We currently have 4 grades of Red. One gets used in Carolina Red Flake, one gets used in Bijou, one gets used in a special blending component that we use in a few blends, and one is used in all the other products we produce, across brands, where Red Virginia is used. Greg uses Red Virginia in most of his blends. I think what you are experiencing is probably more to do with processing, casing, flavoring etc., between manufacturers. The VA leaf used by us or other manufacturers of pipe tobacco is very similar. I can think of a few instances where more than one manufacturer is actually using or has used the exact same lot as us. Where the differences really come in to play is how each manufacturer treats or processes the leaf in manufacturing. Take the same Red leave some of it uncased and divide the rest up to be cased 4 different ways and you've got 5 very distinct aromas and flavor profiles. One will bite this person, one will bite that one, but most folks will be able to smoke all of them and A. detect no flavoring since they don't know what the unmanufactured tobacco actually tastes like to begin with, and B. have no bite with proper smoking.
Jeremy word has it you are making the exact copy of the original Three Nuns, I am talking the stuff from back in the 80's or early 90's. Please do me a favor.....don't f it up. Imagine you Jeremy the great the man who resurrected Three Nuns. We could get you a bronze statue for that one.
I don't know where you are getting your information from, but I would do nearly anything I must in order to avoid having a bronze statue made of me. I believe my life choices bear this out. puffy

If you want something similar to the old Bell's Three Nuns, I would suggest Savinelli's Dublone D'Oro, made for them by Mac Baren.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Jeremy, I can smoke SPecial Brown Flake all day, but Cut Blended and Black Jack no way.

It all comes down to the fact that my tongue is so sophisticated that I can tell when I am smoking pipe tobacco and not cigars.
Ok you losers who don't love Dancing Queen. Anytime it is played the chucks go wild, great for meeting the young ladies on the dancing floor. Had some fun in the 70's and80's.
? No wonder you don't like Former's mouthpieces, one snip with a cigar guillotine ruins them.

I am sure somewhere there is a Chuck's Gone Wild video series... Spring Break Edition 1978, available only on laser disk.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think most of you are missing out on something very dangerous that could occur here. Harris may figure out his aversion to Red Va is purely psychosomatic. If that indeed does occur, he could go on a buying spree that would wipe the shelves of Red Va blends for the next 6 months to a year. Harris, I think your allergic reaction to Red Va's is real and deadly. You should continue to avoid them at all costs. I can't explain what's going with Navigator but if you think about it enough, I'm confident you will at least have a delayed reaction.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
All Pease products are made by C&D, using the exact same components that are used in C&D products or any other brand that we manufacture. I do not know what exact lots or grades were being used 10 years ago, but Bayou Night has 6 different tobaccos in it, and the majority of the blend is Perique. Seems to me that assuming the bite was caused by Red Virginia leaves a lot of other explanations on the table.

We currently have 4 grades of Red. One gets used in Carolina Red Flake, one gets used in Bijou, one gets used in a special blending component that we use in a few blends, and one is used in all the other products we produce, across brands, where Red Virginia is used. Greg uses Red Virginia in most of his blends. I think what you are experiencing is probably more to do with processing, casing, flavoring etc., between manufacturers. The VA leaf used by us or other manufacturers of pipe tobacco is very similar. I can think of a few instances where more than one manufacturer is actually using or has used the exact same lot as us. Where the differences really come in to play is how each manufacturer treats or processes the leaf in manufacturing. Take the same Red leave some of it uncased and divide the rest up to be cased 4 different ways and you've got 5 very distinct aromas and flavor profiles. One will bite this person, one will bite that one, but most folks will be able to smoke all of them and A. detect no flavoring since they don't know what the unmanufactured tobacco actually tastes like to begin with, and B. have no bite with proper smoking.

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but I would do nearly anything I must in order to avoid having a bronze statue made of me. I believe my life choices bear this out. puffy

If you want something similar to the old Bell's Three Nuns, I would suggest Savinelli's Dublone D'Oro, made for them by Mac Baren.
Excellent information here thanks for posting. ?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
What a crowd, busting my balls for a spelling mistake. You are all going to hell for the insult.
Jeremy, I have 35 3.5 ox tins of the Doblone dOro. It think it is going to be really good but I like my blends aged. I am going to give the Sav a 3 year test then go from there. The Kentucky in it needs mellowing for my tastes. I love Kentucky but it is a bit rough young. I recently opened a tin of 1997 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, I love this stuff and it ages incredibly well. I age all my Vaburs for a while. I only have maybe 10 in the cellar.
My cellar is not wide, 43 blends, but it is deep. The most tins I bought were around 210 tins of Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake. I did a lot of testing before a blend made the final cut to be worthy of my cellar. I have screwed up a few times no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.