PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Go to youtube look up the Tales album and then get the Ritual On. Best Chris Squire solo ever from him, Do Studio first then do some of the live shows. Greatest bass player in history in my opinion. His ability to hit notes no one else could hit and his syncopation was god like.
I agree, Squire has an unmistakable sound. You have me curious about Topographic Oceans now. I'll have to revisit that album.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't know the Topographic Oceans LP too well, Relayer I like though. I was a huge Chris Squire fan--he was a hero of mine. Loved his sound. The cool thing about Yes is that they sound the same live as they do on their records. There's not a lot of overdubbing monkey business on those albums... it's basically just the band playing mostly live in the studio.

Never got to see Pink Floyd. I had a chance to see the Animals tour in Chicago but ultimately it didn't pan out.
Tales is a great album. That is all.

Reactions: BROBS
Good, I'm glad Python reopened this one, so that you guys could all stay on topic... because Chris Squire, Yes, and Lou Reed are important indicators for tastes in Red Virginias. I secede the point over Harris's tastes, although something more Americana, like John Cougar or John Fogerty would have shown a better propensity for color cured Virginias, but Lou Reed overrides any inclinations towards Yes as an exemplar of big city aesthetics, transgender appreciations, and a tolerance for heroine use. puffy
"Stick a fork in me, I'm done."

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
My pet theory is that what they put on the tin is what they want you to taste and however they get that "red" taste or quality when advertising may cause irritation to some people either percentage of red or type of casing or even like you pointed out a lack of casing not altering certain chemistry out of it.
I think it may have more to do with percentage of Red Va in the blend.

When I was starting to grow tobacco and wanted information on how a red Virginia is made, I found a huge riff between the terms used on tins of pipe tobacco and between the terminology used by growers and even a difference in terms used by processors. Even the term "Virginias" seems to be just a marketing term. "Red Virginias" is also, and it is merely a color cure, similar to how some cigar leaf is processed... which Jeremy hits on. We as pipe tobacco users rely mostly on what marketing terms are used on tins, and yet the rest of the industry would look at you like you're speaking Chinese when you go asking about Virginias, red Virginias, etc...
To hold a company accountable for having a "red Virginia" in the mix is ludicrous, because they just made that term up in their own little niche that exists between processing and blending.
Sure sure, some farmers and processors may be aware of terms used by the blenders, but I had a hard time finding someone who could help me learn how to cure a red. Then, when you learn how to make a red, you realize how little the differences is between a gold and a red, like a few degrees that most people probably wouldn't realize to the touch in temperature. But, there is a difference in taste.
Anyways, my point is that terms that we know as pipe smokers and the terms used by the rest of the industry don't necessarily mesh.

I was reading in another thread about Rattrays using DFK. People just assume that anything that tastes fire cured is Dark Fired Kentucky, when most likely the company had way more tobaccos to chose from than the average pipe genius in the states could identify. Why not go with one of the many fire cured imperial leaf?

All the tobaccos the average pipe smoker is aware that exists...
Virginias (yellow, orange, red, African, stoved)
light burley
dark burley
orientals (maybe a few more can differentiate between all of the different types of Turkish, but not many)
latakia
perique
dark fire Kentucky
cigar leaf
rustica

...when there are hundreds of varieties that most aren't even aware of the names. How many different varieties of "Virginia are you aware of?" When you hear "red Virginia" which variety of seed stock did you mean? Did you think there was just one plant called the Red Virginia?

Now, not to make it seem like we as pipesmokers and consumers of pipe tobacco are stupid, keeping the terminology for different varieties just makes sense on a marketing perspective. One year, to make a blend taste the same due to differences in environmental issues, a blender/company may have to tweek a blend by adding another variety to keep the tastes consistent. Plus, can we handle knowing six hundred different leaf varieties? Or, would that just muddy the pond?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
When I was starting to grow tobacco and wanted information on how a red Virginia is made, I found a huge riff between the terms used on tins of pipe tobacco and between the terminology used by growers and even a difference in terms used by processors. Even the term "Virginias" seems to be just a marketing term. "Red Virginias" is also, and it is merely a color cure, similar to how some cigar leaf is processed... which Jeremy hits on. We as pipe tobacco users rely mostly on what marketing terms are used on tins, and yet the rest of the industry would look at you like you're speaking Chinese when you go asking about Virginias, red Virginias, etc...
To hold a company accountable for having a "red Virginia" in the mix is ludicrous, because they just made that term up in their own little niche that exists between processing and blending.
Sure sure, some farmers and processors may be aware of terms used by the blenders, but I had a hard time finding someone who could help me learn how to cure a red. Then, when you learn how to make a red, you realize how little the differences is between a gold and a red, like a few degrees that most people probably wouldn't realize to the touch in temperature. But, there is a difference in taste.
Anyways, my point is that terms that we know as pipe smokers and the terms used by the rest of the industry don't necessarily mesh.

I was reading in another thread about Rattrays using DFK. People just assume that anything that tastes fire cured is Dark Fired Kentucky, when most likely the company had way more tobaccos to chose from than the average pipe genius in the states could identify. Why not go with one of the many fire cured imperial leaf?

All the tobaccos the average pipe smoker is aware that exists...
Virginias (yellow, orange, red, African, stoved)
light burley
dark burley
orientals (maybe a few more can differentiate between all of the different types of Turkish, but not many)
latakia
perique
dark fire Kentucky
cigar leaf
rustica

...when there are hundreds of varieties that most aren't even aware of the names. How many different varieties of "Virginia are you aware of?" When you hear "red Virginia" which variety of seed stock did you mean? Did you think there was just one plant called the Red Virginia?

Now, not to make it seem like we as pipesmokers and consumers of pipe tobacco are stupid, keeping the terminology for different varieties just makes sense on a marketing perspective. One year, to make a blend taste the same due to differences in environmental issues, a blender/company may have to tweek a blend by adding another variety to keep the tastes consistent. Plus, can we handle knowing six hundred different leaf varieties? Or, would that just muddy the pond?
so what you're saying is who knows? And that like most things stated on the tin it means what ever the person who printed the label thinks it means.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I thought I would post this here as am interested to see if anyone else has a similar experience. I loaded a bowl of 403 in a trombone meerschaum pipe the other night and I got zero zing from the red Virginia. Despite being somewhat sensitive to red va, I do sometimes enjoy placing my tongue into the smoke stream and getting a small controlled bite from this blend. Kinda adds a tangy apple note to the smoke.

Anyways, I had the fullest flavour from this blend ever.

Could it be the meerschaum, or the long shank?

Status
Not open for further replies.