PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
If it was an “allergy” your throat would close and you’d swell up. Not just get tongue bite.
That’s more of an anaphylactic reaction. But yeah, I’d think you experience at least runny nose/nasal congestion, itchy throat if you had an allergy. I don’t remember seeing “tongue bite” listed as a sign/symptom of an allergic reaction.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Cigrmaster is the Howard Hughes of pipe tobacco. Pretty sure he can single-handedly move the market when he decides to hoard something on a whim.
Cigrmaster is the Howard Hughes of pipe tobacco. Pretty sure he can single-handedly move the market when he decides to hoard something on a whim.
Boy! Pipesmagazine is on fire these days.

Driving all the chucks crazy... Hahahaha

View attachment 69009
71AE7CCE-DE9E-41BB-9657-88D606E12D02.jpeg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Chose 60 the edge?
Close to the Edge is the name of the lead song and the name of the album.
If you try to listen to it you can't do anything else as it is progressive rock which is usually very sophisticated music. If you really want to feel the song and get the most out of it listen to it at least 6-10 times. Each musician is a virtuoso and neither Pink Floyd or led zepelin have the over all chops of Yes.
Being able to hear all the different shifts in time, and then move to other riffs takes time. There hasn't been music of this kind since 1994 when Pink Floyd came out with the Pulse album. Last great concert I saw, it was amazing.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Close to the Edge is the name of the lead song and the name of the album.
If you try to listen to it you can't do anything else as it is progressive rock which is usually very sophisticated music. If you really want to feel the song and get the most out of it listen to it at least 6-10 times. Each musician is a virtuoso and neither Pink Floyd or led zepelin have the over all chops of Yes.
Being able to hear all the different shifts in time, and then move to other riffs takes time. There hasn't been music of this kind since 1994 when Pink Floyd came out with the Pulse album. Last great concert I saw, it was amazing.
I saw Yes in concert a few times in the 70's. Wakeman was still with them but Bruford was gone. I was a massive progressive rock junkie back then and Yes's live shows were always great. Close to the Edge is very good but I preferred Fragile and The Yes Album.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think a realistic hypothesis is that if a tobacco says Red Virginia on the tin, that they intentionally enunciate the VA character of the tobacco by having a high percentage at VA as compared to other blends, just so you can really taste it. 'Cause that's what you're paying for is that red VA character. That would imply that people who react to it possibly are sensitive to anything over a particular VA%.

Edit: And these red VA blends may have less casing (which would otherwise smooth out the smoke) in order to prevent masking the VA flavor.
My pet theory is that what they put on the tin is what they want you to taste and however they get that "red" taste or quality when advertising may cause irritation to some people either percentage of red or type of casing or even like you pointed out a lack of casing not altering certain chemistry out of it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I have a real high level of uric acid in my body which is why I got kidney stones so many times. For years the stones were strictly uric acid. I moved to Florida and my last stones were calcium and uric acid. Worst fucking stone ever. It was 8mm and jagged not a normal stone.. They had to go in and get it and then had to leave a stent in me for 2 weeks .
When they yank that stent they give no warning and you want to punch him in the face 20 times.
damn. I've heard some woman say stones aren't anything compared to childbirth and then get that theory shut down by ladies that have experienced both who say stones are way worse.

Reactions: BROBS

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
One thing I observed with my homegrown: I found despite not fertilizing for a month before picking, the one year I used spray fertilizer was the worst for tongue bite with the Virginia and Hungarian tobacco. There was also horse manure in that bed. The Turkish, Maryland, burley and dark tobacco grown elsewhere with the same spray fertilizer but no horse manure had zero bite. Hard to compare strains and make a conclusion from it though. But maybe it was the horse manure? Maybe it was the spray, somehow? Maybe it was overfertilized? Is the red Virginia grade more common in overfertilized fields?

My point is '?', and to be specific, '?'

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
That’s more of an anaphylactic reaction. But yeah, I’d think you experience at least runny nose/nasal congestion, itchy throat if you had an allergy. I don’t remember seeing “tongue bite” listed as a sign/symptom of an allergic reaction.
localized inflammation is certainly a possible allergic reaction. Though the way to test if it's an allergy or a burn is seeing if allergy medicine helps

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I saw Yes in concert a few times in the 70's. Wakeman was still with them but Bruford was gone. I was a massive progressive rock junkie back then and Yes's live shows were always great. Close to the Edge is very good but I preferred Fragile and The Yes Album.
The only time I didn't see Wakeman was for the Relayer shows when Moraz played. I love those albums you like. I actually really like Tales From Topographic Oceans.Only the third piece I didn't like but the Ritual is one of my favorites, those shows were awesome. The sets and light shows were their best.

Only Pink Floyd and Pulse tour had a better light show. Theirs was the best I ever saw and I have seen my share.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
One thing I observed with my homegrown: I found despite not fertilizing for a month before picking, the one year I used spray fertilizer was the worst for tongue bite with the Virginia and Hungarian tobacco. There was also horse manure in that bed. The Turkish, Maryland, burley and dark tobacco grown elsewhere with the same spray fertilizer but no horse manure had zero bite. Hard to compare strains and make a conclusion from it though. But maybe it was the horse manure? Maybe it was the spray, somehow? Maybe it was overfertilized? Is the red Virginia grade more common in overfertilized fields?

How old was the horse manure? How long was it dug in before planting? Generally, if you're using raw, uncomposted manure, it's better to dig it in in the fall for use next spring/summer

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta

I can confirm from my very limited two years of growing tobacco in my backyard, more fertilizer and/or horse manure (I have a buddy with a horse farm) makes a darker coloured, harsher, stronger, tobacco that provides more mouth irritation/bite. The best smoking plants I grew were in 5 gallon buckets of plain sand with a couple handfuls of potting soil, no fertilizer, 3/4s sun, and only watering when they fell over.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The only time I didn't see Wakeman was for the Relayer shows when Moraz played. I love those albums you like. I actually really like Tales From Topographic Oceans.Only the third piece I didn't like but the Ritual is one of my favorites, those shows were awesome. The sets and light shows were their best.

Only Pink Floyd and Pulse tour had a better light show. Theirs was the best I ever saw and I have seen my share.

I don't know the Topographic Oceans LP too well, Relayer I like though. I was a huge Chris Squire fan--he was a hero of mine. Loved his sound. The cool thing about Yes is that they sound the same live as they do on their records. There's not a lot of overdubbing monkey business on those albums... it's basically just the band playing mostly live in the studio.

Never got to see Pink Floyd. I had a chance to see the Animals tour in Chicago but ultimately it didn't pan out.

Status
Not open for further replies.